1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck got broken into yesterday

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awesomeguy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    awesomeguy

awesomeguy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 Radiant Red TRD Sport
    I don't post much but I'm on here everyday checking things out. I'm posting today because I'm hoping to hear what happened to other people who have had this happen.

Yesterday, I was leaving work and as I was walking to my truck saw a bunch of black glass near my truck. My first thought was someone broke a bottle or something but wasn't that lucky. Got to my truck saw someone busted out the back driver side window, climbed through, and ripped my dash out to steal my Pioneer HU and iPod out of the glove box.

I called the police and filed a report. Called my insurance company but unfortunately they won't be able to look at my truck until Monday. Looking at the damage other then the window and dash. The door they broke though has a bunch of large gashes in the paint, the inside door panel where they climbed though is scratched to hell, they busted up one of the back seatbelt clips with their feet when they pushed off to get to the front of the truck, and ripped a hole in the mesh center of the back seat.

Insurance should fix all the damages, right? I take care of my truck and kept it looking new I'm hoping to get it back in that condition. For people that have had this happen, once your truck/car got fixed did you move on and forget or did you feel like your car was tainted or violated still? Driving my truck home I just felt like it was violated and it frustrated me. I love my truck but I'm worried I'm going to keep that feeling after it gets fixed.

2. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    That's horrible. I think after it's been fixed you will eventually get over it. I keep my Ipod in the glovebox too. I've been thinking of re routing the cable to the center console and getting a lock for it. Your post is just what i need to get that project started. Good luck getting it back to normal and sorry about the bad luck.

3. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4

Had my old Honda Passport broken into twice - the feeling WILL go away however in my case my truck was scarred for life. They had used a screwdriver to "pry" my radio out and it gashed the dash pretty good. My insurance company got an interior guy to "fix" it but it was not 100% like it was prior. Also, I would still find bits of glass in my floorboard from time to time that I could only assume was still coming out of the door panels - even though the glass company stated that they had cleaned it out!

I currently have a Pioneer Nav unit in my truck and my biggest fear is that my truck will get broken into and it get taken, I'll show you how I try to "conceal" it if I get time to take pictures today.

Just an FYI, but I previously had a Viper alarm with two way communication on my Passport and it was still broken into. I was in the movie theater and my alarm went off, by the time I got out to the parking lot (and I was running) the window was busted out and the head unit and speakers were long gone, oh and some of my cd's---get this though, they only stole the few rap CD's that I had, they left my collection of Tom Petty, Eric Clapton etc.

So IMO, alarms don't help all that much!

4. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Sorry to hear that man. Hope the insurance company takes care of you.

5. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Don't be afraid to ride the repair company HARD. When my CRX was broken in to , they did $1200 dollars of damage and got nothing because I installed the stereo correctly. They destroyed the unit trying to get it out because I used the backstrap. Destroyed the center console of the dash.

I used the insurance recommended repair and they were slow and shodddy. I kept going back and complaining, told the insurance company I didn't want the repair shop to see a penny as they sucked and they finally got things right.

Just complain and watch the details.

6. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    sorry this happened to you!!

7. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Must have been a junkie needing a fix..............................sorry for your loss................

8. Jun 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    awesomeguy

awesomeguy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 Radiant Red TRD Sport
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm defiantly going to point out all the damage to the insurance company when I take my truck to get looked at on Monday and make sure everything gets fixed to how it was before. I'm just anxious to get work started and get my truck put back together. I just hate people who can't keep their hands off other people stuff. Its like you can't have anything nice because some low life will try to steal it from you.

Thanks for the info on the Viper alarm Chase. I'm on the fence about getting one put in, kind of makes me lean more toward saving my money. I know a few people who have them on their cars, they sound like a good idea but I guess if someone really wants to steal your stuff their going to do it.

9. Jun 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully it all gets taken care of and karma comes to the thief.

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I'd like to see this. I've wondered about how I could conceal my Alpine a bit to reduce chances of some dickhead making off with it.

11. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Sorry to hear that man. Hope everything works out. Dickheads...

I would also like to see this as I have a Pioneer double din that was a pretty big investment for me. I do have 5% tint on the windows though, which does make it kinda hard to see. And a Viper alarm!

12. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    This is exactly the reason I chose not to install a pioneer nav unit in the dash when the stock crappy radio went away. I put a plain-looking pioneer HU in the dash and it works great. But I so wanted to use the neat-looking and functional nav unit in there. Oh well...

13. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I hate some people... why can't folks just leave other people's stuff alone? ugh.

14. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    im thinking of hooking up an alarm to my air horn :)

15. Jun 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    That would probably work... if caught on video it would be even funnier than hornblasters.com.

16. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You'll find glass for as long as you own the truck.

I've had it happen in quite a few cars. People wonder why I don't upgrade the head unit anymore; you just found out.

The only thing you can really do is buy an alarm or a garage. I find the alarm to be a bit cheaper.

17. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I don't know if getting a lock for the center console would help, it would only take a screw driver to break it open. I would imagine that a thief willing to break a window would be motivated to break open something that is locked. I'd say just take your Ipod with you in your pocket.

As for the head unit, you can probably find some tutorials online to cover the head unit up and make it look like a stock unit.

18. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
  19. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Do they sell those in multiple sizes for different set ups?

20. Jun 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    That's awesome! Especially the one with the dangling wires!! Does anybody have this?

Products Discussed in

To Top