1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck is not running right HELLP!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sick 3.4 tacoma, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Apr 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    sick 3.4 tacoma

sick 3.4 tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab 4x4
    elite bumper, xrc8 winch, 12in sub, cb, flowmaster, deck plate mod, 3in lift.
    so for the past couple of weeks i have been trying to find out what is wrong with my truck and im starting to figure out what it is but not completly. so normaly i run regular gas in my truck and in doing so it idols great but the prob is when im driving down the road i give it gas and the truck falls on its face and spudders but what i have figured out that fixes the prob is by putting premium gas in the truck and the prob goes right away. if you have any idea what this prob could be would be great:eek:. things that i have done to try to fix it is do a new fuel filter and did a new clutch. my truck is a 95 3.4 v6

2. Apr 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    What you describe makes me think that there is something causing the engine to "ping". Meaning the cylinders are getting too hot and causing the fuel to ignite before the spark plug has fired. On an older engine without knock sensors you would hear the pinging. On a newer engine, the computer dials the timing back (causing a loss of power that sometimes could be felt) before there can be damage and sometimes before the driver can hear the noise.

I have no experience with the 3.4, but had an old truck with the 22r engine. I had a few problems with engine ping. Once after I put bosch platinum plugs in it the pinging started right away. Took them out and installed factory nippondenso plugs, no more pinging. Another time I discovered that a pipe from the EGR valve to the intake manifold was clogged with carbon, leaving only a pencil tip sized hole for EGR gases. Cleaned it out, problem went away. The EGR valve would pass the smog test at that time, but apparently wasn't flowing enough gas to cool the cylinders down and prevent the pinging. High octane gas fixed the issue temporarily also. Might also check and see if there is a way to check and adjust timing on that engine. I don't know.

3. Apr 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    Littlebro 5

Littlebro 5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Wilsonville or
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 3.4L sr5 manual all-pro lift
    6" deck plate mod, sweet bed bar.
    do you know what you used to clean out that EGR?

4. Apr 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Camo23

Camo23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Dade City,Florida
    Vehicle:
    02 DC Prerunner
    no more taco :(
    have you replaced the spark plugs?

5. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    sick 3.4 tacoma

sick 3.4 tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab 4x4
    elite bumper, xrc8 winch, 12in sub, cb, flowmaster, deck plate mod, 3in lift.
    so today my truck threw a cell code po510 its telling me that my tps is bad do you think this could be my prob to why my truck is not running right?

6. Apr 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    A bad or misadjusted TPS will cause a ton of problems. Try testing the TPS per toyota specs and see if is is within spec or if it even performs correctly.

7. May 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Just a screwdriver and a can of carb cleaner. Took it off the engine to clean.

To Top