1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck is throwing that damn P0101 code!! (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by novanut21, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Jul 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I went to take my truck fishing Thursday on the way there I noticed it wasn't running right. I was watching my AFR gauge and when it would stumble the AFR would go way lean into the 16-18 range. I got it back home pulled codes and had the following P0101,P0102,P0113,P0171 & P0174. I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner reinstalled and cleared codes. I took it out the next day and same thing could feel the truck stumble/hesitate and the AFR was still going lean. So I put the scan tool back on and now only have the P0101 (pending) code. I swapped out the MAF sensor and still same thing. I have checked for vacuum leaks but I don't see/hear any and my boost/vacuum gauge is reading 20in/hg. I have a AFE Stg.2 Si (sealed intake) which I have had since 2011 and before that I had the crappy K&N CAI with no issues. I did a little research on here and only fix I found was to switch back to OEM air intake and it stopped throwing the P0101 code and another switched from TRD 2nd gen CAI to a 1st gen and it fixed it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Jul 7, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Have you sprayed anything around the engine bay? How many miles does your truck have?

3. Jul 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Silicone hoses I would check are the PCV hoses on bith sides of the engine. Look for cracks in them. As well as the vacuum hose right behind the throttle body.

Do you have a catch can? If so make sure it is sealed properly.

Spray around the s/c cover with the TRD logo. As well as check the couplings of the intake. Might be loose.

4. Jul 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I haven't sprayed anything around the engine bay. I haven't driven the truck for a couple of weeks. It currently has a little over 28,000 miles.

I do have a catch can. I did a visual inspection of the hoses running to the pcv and intake from the catch can and they look good and are not loose. I will have to check the one behind the TB and on the passenger side of motor.

5. Jul 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    I've already had this problem in the past with my 2005 and only happen when wheater was very hot.

Do you have a MAF calibrator or something elses? Have you work on the throttle body? Sure your filter is not dirty lol. Have you try to disconnect the battery?

6. Jul 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    No MAF calibrator or anything else. I unbolted the TB about a month ago when I purchased the s/c coupler & s/c oil change kit. I was going to replace the coupler but once I got down to unbolting the nose drive I started with the 13mm nut and it didn't break loose from the stud. The stud and nut both started to come out together and there isn't enough room to remove them together. So I just changed the s/c oil. Air filter is clean I cleaned it the same time I tried to replace the s/c snout coupler. I have not disconnected battery.

7. Jul 10, 2015 at 5:48 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    Do you know if your problem has begun after you unbolt the throttle body? I asked the question cause it happened to me after dismantling the TB. The problem was mostly at iddle or close to iddle. I would try to disconnect the battery.

8. Jul 10, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I just had this happen with my 1st gen TRD intake. Check your silicone intake couplers. There might be a crack in one of them. One of mine ended up ripping. GL

9. Jul 10, 2015 at 6:20 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    I do not remember noticing the issue after I unbolted the TB. The truck set for about 2 1/2 weeks after doing the S/C oil change. It is most noticeable at freeway speed 70 mph when trying to do a light throttle steady speed that is when it starts "hesitating" and AFR goes lean. If I get back on the throttle it will smooth out the hesitation and AFR will come back to normal. I will disconnect the battery and double check all hoses and take my intake a part to inspect the silicone couplers when I return home in a few weeks which sucks because I want this fixed ASAP, I'm taking a camping trip soon.

Thanks I'll definitely check them out.

10. Jul 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Okay I'm back at this again, I have checked the wiring at the MAF sensor and connector itself it all looks good. I checked my catch can fittings for a leak. I disconnected the battery for 2hrs yesterday then took it for a 15-20min drive. Hasn't changed a thing so far. Today I noticed while setting in the driveway with it running if I bring the RPM up slowly to 1700 it starts running lean about 16:1. Then as I slowly increase RPMs before I even get to 2,000 RPMs it goes dead lean and pegs my AFR gauge at 18:1.

11. Jul 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Where is you AFR sensor installed?

Did you ever spray around the engine with it idling? To see if it changed the idle.

All vacuum ports, around injectors, intake couplings, & TB.

12. Jul 30, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Wideband in pic below, Yes I disassembled and reassembled the CAI and checked all the silicone couplers for cracks, pin holes etc. I did spray all the vacuum lines, throttle body and injectors with carb cleaner and there was no change in idle. I wonder if something happened to the throttle body it seems like the on/off throttle engagement feels rough especially while shifting and the only time I can get it to go lean is in a light throttle steady cruise above 1,700rpms in all 6 gears.

DSCN13461.jpg

13. Jul 31, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Could you take some more pictures of your engine bay and post them? From different angles.

14. Jul 31, 2015 at 6:34 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    It's a stretch, but try wiggling the MAF sensor wiring around and see if the idle/afr react at all. Remote possibility that the MAF wiring has a short.

15. Jul 31, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I wish the mods list were still available like it used to be, prior to the update.

Your filter isn't an oiled filter correct? As I know that AFe has two versions.

Have you pulled the MAF sensor and looked closely at it? Have you had the chance to try swapping MAF sensors with anyone?

You don't have a wired in MAF calibrator do you?

16. Jul 31, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Mods are:AFE Stg.2 w/pro guard 7 oiled filter, jba shorties, urd y pipe, magnaflow catback, urd fuel pump & filter kit (walbro pump), stealth pulley.

I have swapped the MAF with a brand new OEM Denso unit.

I do not have a MAF calibrator

17. Jul 31, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Let me know if you need more pictures. DSCN1523.jpg DSCN1524.jpg DSCN1525.jpg DSCN1526.jpg DSCN1527.jpg DSCN1528.jpg DSCN1529.jpg

18. Jul 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM
    revhappyleon

revhappyleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner V6 6-speed(custom dual exhaust)
    dual exhaust, foglight anytime, satoshi, chlm, aux backup lights and electric fan conversion
    I know this is a bit of a stretch but maybe try cleaning the throttle body and pull the battery cables again. Whats the definition for P0101?

19. Jul 31, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Thank you for the pictures. :thumbsup:

In the picture with the outlined AFE sensor, there is a silicone vacuum hose running towards the OEM FPR. In the most recent pictures, that hose is gone and bothered the intake and FPR are capped. Is this correct, and are these most recent pictures of a newer timeframe that the AFR sensor picture?

Also, since you said that the AFe filter is their "oiled" filter, there is a simple test you
    can do. Clean the MAF sensor, then remove the filter. Do some test driving, on "clean" roads. Or whatever it takes that is simplest to reactive the CEL. If it doesn't come back on, then clean the oil off of your filter. And you'll be good.

FishingInSand likes this.
  20. Jul 31, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Yes I just took these pictures today. The OEM FPR is capped off and well at the port on the intake tube.

I will do this in the morning! Thanks Tor!

Products Discussed in

To Top