1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck jolts from a stand still

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by weshadowforth, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Feb 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    weshadowforth

weshadowforth [OP] I'm a hoot...

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    SLC, Ut
    Vehicle:
    bitchin 2000 white excess cab
    6" Fabtech suspension lift, custom side exhaust, aftermarket performance headers, Corbeau A4 racing seats, K&N cold air intake
    Hey guys.. Just wanting to get some thoughts on a current habit my truck seems to have.. Basically after I start it, and usually only the first maybe second time I move from a full stop after starting it, it feels like something is caught or stuck then it finally jolts forward.. Once i drive for even a few minutes it never happens again.. I think I might have a leak in the left rear axle seal but it's not severe.. Could it cause something that noticeable? Any thoughts would be appreciated immensely..

2. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    any noise go with it??

3. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM
    weshadowforth

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    SLC, Ut
    Vehicle:
    6" Fabtech suspension lift, custom side exhaust, aftermarket performance headers, Corbeau A4 racing seats, K&N cold air intake
    Like grinding or squeaking.. No.. But it does kinda clunk when it eventual jolts forward but I wouldn't say it makes a noise it's more of a feel.. Does that make any sense? Haha..

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Transmission?? :notsure:

my transmission clunks

5. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    if your axle seal is going bad or gone bad, there will be oil on the inside of your wheel, and probably your wheel well, so look for that regardless.
    Is the clunk coming from the rear end? or could it be the transmission?

I'd check your transmission fluid level, and your diff fluid levels.
    when is the last time you changed all your fluids?

6. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    kingbrian

kingbrian Resident Big mouthed Fat ass.

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    I.E. CA.
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed xtracab
    Fagtech spindles, Doug Thorley header, Spintech muffler, JVC headunit.
    I had an f150 which they had a TSB for this same problem.. Its the slip yoke, on acceleration when the axle wraps, there isnt enough lube on the yoke and trans output shaft splines so it sticks then as it wraps and shove the yoke in the trans it clunks, jolts, pops, or whatever you wanna call it. I had to grease that truck like once a month, then i just quit and dealt with it.. Never had any problems, but they recommended to inspect it and if there is any metali material in the teeth when wiped replace the yoke. Remember this is on a ford but id put ten bucks on it that this is your problem. Super easy to check.

7. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    :eek::eek::cool:

8. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    Demon Taco

Demon Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Gold Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I agree with kingbrian,it really sounds as if the yoke is sticking and abruptly moving on initial take off.I definately would hit all the zerk fittings with a quality grease.Your rear brakes,if covered with diff fluid may stick from being over heated because they are slipping instead of gripping.both senarios are a good place to start.

9. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    ForeRunner

ForeRunner Scotch before noon. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Somewhere between Maine and Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Subaru WRX STI Limited (no wing)
    Extra PSI
    I agree, axle wrap or the slip yoke or a combination of the two.

10. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM
    harpolith

harpolith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Does this happen more frequently in cold weather? Say, less than 30 degrees? I have 2010 v6. NEver noticed anything out of ordinary until winter... now it seems to have less power when initially pressing the accelerator, then about one second later rpm's kick in and off I go. It really is a 'feel' thing... just feels a little off. ANd am certain a dealer would say nothin wrong with it. REad somewhere this is due to a temp sensor and it just does this when its cold. Seems like when outside temp is warmer, this prob is less pronounced. WHen hot outside, I don't notice it At all. SOund familiar? Appreciate any comments you night have...

11. Feb 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    weshadowforth

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    SLC, Ut
    Vehicle:
    It actually turned out to be due to a rear axle seal leak on my truck. My passenger side rear wheel was completely seized pretty much. It's fixed now and everything is back to normal. I used to own a 2005 when they first came out and like every other vehicle it's always harder on them in the winter, it can get pretty cold in Utah. Unfortunately I can't remember it ever being less responsive in cold temps. My E brake cable froze on my 2000 last winter which of course lessened acceleration until it thawed, after a few times of this happening I realized I needed to stop setting the e brake in cold temps. That's probably not super helpful but those are my experiences!

12. Feb 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Skillet

Skillet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Palmdale,Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma prerunner 3.4 auto trans trd,
    Trd edition,black powdercoated wheels,king Coils front, king double bypass rear, k&n cai, jba headers,borla exhuast,optima batt,xenon hid,crystal headlights,rewired entire car to four guage wiring on big stuff alt starter etc.,alpine screen,focal honeycomb components,JL four channel amp,dynamated entire inside of truck and hoodliner,limo tint all rear windows,LEDs everywhere possible dome light, tails,fronts,04 tailights,
    Same thing exactly happened to me only fix was a shitload of grease in slipshaft and rear brake pad springs popped off ( last owner with bad mechanic) always at oil changes I grease my driveshaft in all the zerks and now don't have that issue as well.. Pissed me off for about a year f@c&!!

13. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    peace42o

peace42o Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    burt
    utah
    Vehicle:
    07 toyota tacoma trd 4x4
    5% tinted windows, powder-coated wheels, Duratrac 265/65/r16, 2' lift w/1AAL, superspring shackel overload spring for towing, shorty antenna, block heater, Trd supercharger, Trd exhaust w/magnaflow muffler, black grill, 4 PIAA atx offroad lights, step sides, brake controller, n-fab light bar,
    My 07 has lags when I step on the gas then it jolts also I noticed it after I did the AAL but when it's cold outside it defiantly does it more park it in the garage over a cold bight and see if it still jolts in the morning my synthetic fluid is the main reason for slow " jolt" acceleration

To Top