1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck just back from the dealer/new frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff, May 10, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not true, but dealers seem to refuse to touch the 2gen frames (maybe they hope to get work replacing those too )
    Your best bet is to sand rust and put primer then paint on it. See if some body shop can do it for you.

2. May 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain

you call that rusty, you should see my 05, its even been undercoated and I have 10X as much rust as you coming through the undercoat.

3. May 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    mobius

mobius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 / 07 4Runner SR5
    that sucks nad...my dad has an 05' and his is way worse than mine.

4. May 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
  5. May 14, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    You have to believe the 05's and 06's will be next, as you can bet Toyota used the same company to make these frames also....

The rust products mentioned above seem to be good as they were used on auto TV shows a couple of times....its hard to address the rust inside the frame though, I should have been smart and had it coated when it was new...
    I wonder if Toyota will offer $$$ to turn in your truck versus getting the frame replaced...if a offer came along I would might consider it but would hate to give up my well maintained 06 with 38K on it....as its just getting broken in besides finding a truck/color/options would be hard to do.....lol..
    Jeff 06, V6, SR 5, 6spd....

6. Mar 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    leishman1984

leishman1984 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Outside killing radius of Chuck Norris; SOL
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Moisture isn't the problem when it comes to the oxidation reduction reaction with metal, "rust". The reduction of the metal to ionic form takes place with the presence of O2 from our air. ( 4Fe + 3O2 ---> 2Fe2O3 ) If the oxygen came from H2O it would require the Oxygen molecule break both Hydrogen bonds (which are relatively strong) instead of the bond between two Oxygen molecules (requires a lot of energy). When that much energy is applied to the moisture it merely evaporates and is removed from the area; water keeps its form H2O (very very very stable molecule). The Moisture with salt merely provides the medium for the reaction to take place; Moreover, if you remove the O2 source with a paint barrier, the Reaction won't occur in that area.

Redox reactions "Rusting" require an equal amount of positive and negative ions, that is why heavy salted (NaCl) states are perfect for rust. The Na+ ions and Cl- ions provide the missing ions to complete the reaction when Fe and O2 change from the neutral form to the Ionic form (Fe^3+, O^2-) prior to forming Fe2O3 ---> "Rust"; The salt allows the rust to form at a exponential rate.

Thus, painting the Iron separates it from the Oxygen source, which renders the reaction incomplete. This does not mean the reaction can't occur inside the frame of the truck. Unless similar measures are taken.

Sorry Long winded.

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I read it 2x and still don't know what you said. All them numbers, letters and smart talk, slow your roll. It's only you're second post, that's too deep for that. Start off with a post on -which lift is best, or how can I get better MPG's. :D

8. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    leishman1984

leishman1984 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Outside killing radius of Chuck Norris; SOL
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    haha long time reader, and with the search button I never have questions that I cant find answers. That is why I don't post, and it seems there are far better mechanics on these forums than I am. But I had yet to find an explanation of rust; one of my degrees is in Chemistry, so I thought I would post it.

9. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    inouk

inouk Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used this product on my first car: http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

I can say without doubts that this product is strong. It works.

It's costly, but you paint only one time (two coats) and you forget about it. This paint is hard to chip or cracks.

However, you need to follow carefully the instructions.

10. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    They don't. 1st gen frames were made by Dana. 2nd gen frames are made by Hino (Toyota's commercial truck subsidiary). In 2011, Dana paid Toyota $25 million to settle the frame rust claim. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/12/retire-us-dana-idUSTRE70B7KZ20110112

My Taco after 2.5 winters is looking better underneath than my Subaru after 1.5 winters.

Rust protection doesn't have to be elaborate. I simply brushed some store brand black rust paint on my sliders. No prep. No primer. Did the same to areas on the All-Pro bumper where the powder coating had flaked off. They are both holding up fine against the road salt.

11. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    POR15 FTW!!!

Did a Camaro subframe in it. great stuff.

12. Aug 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Changeling

Changeling Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD SRD V6 X-Cab Limited Edition
    Well, I heard all this and didn't know if it was crap or truth!

So I contacted one of the major manufactures of rust stopping products and they told me the following:

To have your vehicles frame done with or product would cost several thousand dollars.

Life expectancy for the treatment would be from 2 to 3 years at most, your best bet would be to contact local "Body Shops" and see what they would charge to apply the coatings.

I emailed 3 companies, this was the only one that responded and they had a "caveat" that basically said I could be sued if I used there name .

Having to have this done every couple years could get very expensive , I have read and searched a great deal on this subject. Some of the above posts talk about using Rustoleum paint for a cure. From the things I have read it is useless.

Please don't believe the things say without doing your own searches and contacting the Manufacture of whatever product you know of.

If you get some good news please contact me.

13. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM
    billc17

billc17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Boxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    My 2005 is at a dealer in Haverhill Ma. It has been there for 5 1/2 months. Still waiting for parts. They gave me a Camry rental on their dime. I want my truck back. This is ridiculous

14. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Holy thread revival...

15. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    billc17

billc17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Boxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    My 2005 is at the dealer for frame replacement. Been there for 5 1/2 months. Waiting for parts. They gave me a 2014 Camry rental. I want my truck back!

Products Discussed in

To Top