1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck losing power

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cyoung8643, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Nov 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM
    cyoung8643

cyoung8643 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Toyota Tacoma
    I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma 2.4 liter. I jumped someone's battery a few nights ago. On the way home the truck started losing power. Lights on the dash dimming headlights dim when hitting the gas. wanted to shut off at the stop sign. Went to shift to third gear it wanted to shut off. Got home it cut off. Cranked up first try. Left it in neutral turned the headlights on revved the engine it wanted to shut off and the headlights and dash lights dimmed. Let off the gas lights came back up. I'm thinking alternator. Popped it off took it to autozone they said it was fine. They tested it twice. Brought it back home put it back in same problems. I still think alternator. Any advice or ideas?

Update: had the battery tested it is good. Went ahead and replaced the alternator. Problem still exist.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Nov 28, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    kulrajg

kulrajg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arleta,CA
    blacked out.
    Sounds more like wiring problem. all those light dimming and wanting to turn off are signs of bad battery or an alternator. have you installed any accessories on it lately? stereo or sound system or anything that have to do with battery? jumped someone's battery? i would assume you got a jump start? if you got jump start from another car i would recommend you to check for any blown fuses as well.

3. Nov 28, 2015 at 9:15 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Voltage regulator

4. Nov 28, 2015 at 9:17 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven LOC: 33.781461, -115.867251

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    i doubt the OP is still having the issue, but, how was the battery tested? even a battery with a dead cell will show 12.4v with a full charge.

Products Discussed in

To Top