1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck shudder in 4Hi/4Lo with snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by knphee, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Nov 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    knphee

knphee [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AccessCab TRD OR
    So I was "testing" the 4wd drive (4Hi & 4Lo) on my parents acreage this afternoon (we had a snow fall dump the last few days, foot and a half--). There was a section where I started to get stuck going up a slight incline and I remember the truck shuddering for a bit but it kept crawling ahead (I was in 4Lo and 4Hi when I felt the shudder). Probably went about 100ft with the shuddering, but I'm sure I was going in a straighline --- in hindsight, I'm thinking maybe the steering wheel wasn't straight causing some type of binding? :confused: So what's the damage I caused ? Damn it. :(

2. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Hmm that usually happens when there is too much traction for 4wd, and 18 inches of snow doesn't sound to be that kind of case.

3. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Maybe it was the traction control system?

4. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    Up an incline at slow speed your gonna get that once in a while. I think its just caused by the snow being pushed down under the tires. I get that in the fresh snow sometimes. Your wheels may not have been strait. But either way you have not caused any damage.

5. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBR TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL
    OEM bedmat, Weather Tech mats, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, blue LED dome light and every cubbyhole filled with crap.
    move? i did and ive yet to feel any adverse snow behavior so far. so long midwest! hello desert! but i do kinda miss the 4w drift in my old silverado. drivin outta the side windows was fun at times.

6. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I'm thinking it was just the tires starting to ride up on the snow then compressing the snow. I highly doubt you did anything to cause any damage to your drive train in 18" of snow.

7. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Sounds like the traction control got activated...You mentioned you started to get stuck...were you slipping with the wheels spinning when the shuddering occured?

8. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    you have a new 2010 trd OR. This shuttering is the traction control system. TRAC/ATRAC

Its the brakes transfering power to slipping wheel.

9. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    knphee

knphee [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AccessCab TRD OR
    PHEWWWW..... Thanks for the reassurance, I really can't afford to break a new truck!

I'm pretty sure my wheels were slipping when the shuddering was occuring. So I guess the consensus is the traction control being activated. I also remember gunning it pretty good too... anyways, I think I'll just take it easy next time I go "testing". But man it was fun.

Thanks guys.

10. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    knphee

knphee [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AccessCab TRD OR
    Oh, I should also add that the truck drove fine afterwards -- but that doesn't necessary mean I didn't damage anything, right?

11. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
  12. Nov 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi knphee, I am confused by this in your post:

"... and I remember the truck shuddering for a bit but it kept crawling ahead (I was in 4Lo and 4Hi when I felt the shudder)."

Which were you in, 4Lo or 4Hi, because you cannot be in both at the same time.

I am sure you didn't hurt the truck... Toyotas are tough.

In 4Hi, the traction control is smooth, and the thing that stands out is the VSC warning beeper... whenever your truck begins to slide around, the beeper goes off warning you to take it easy, but that VSC is working on keeping you going straight. TRAC in 4Hi is limited slip on the front and rear axles that will brake a spinning tire to transfer drive torque to the traction tire.

You can disable the VSC and TRACTION CONTROL for open differentials and no beeping, by holding down the VSC OFF button for 3+ seconds, WHILE STOPPED. Touch the button again and TRAC and VSC are back on.

In 4Lo, the normal mode is open differentials and no VSC.

In 4Lo, once the A-TRAC button has been pushed, the noise is normal (like a grinding sound) when the A-TRAC turns the truck into a 'tractor' by locking any slipping tires to the same rotation as tires with traction (a locker uses the gears in the differential to do this, the A-TRAC uses the brakes... both match wheel rotation across the axle... The A-TRAC repeats the locking and unlocking so steering is not affected as it is with a locker. This is a noise or shudder you may experience with the A-TRAC. Try the same drive with the A-TRAC turned off (open differentials)... May be smoother and quieter.. but you also may get stuck... so just push the A-TRAC button again!

Have fun playing and 4 wheeling... The OFF ROAD 4WD TACOMA with 9 drive modes!

To Top