1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Stalled on Steep Decline/Low Oil Pressure

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by treehugger, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Oct 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY

Most newer vehicles will stall if car rolls too much or too fast in the opposing direction of the transmission. This is a safety feature to prevent damage from occurring.

@ mud check Simply roll a vehicle in reverse too fast and throw in drive, it's either gonna shut off or grind. Hill assist is used when your starting off on an incline, when activated it applies pressure to the brakes to allow you to take your foot off the brake pedal to move to the accelerator with little to no "roll back" this feature is only active when the feature is turned on

DoorDing likes this.
  2. Oct 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    SSG665

SSG665 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma
    Don't count on it around here!

3. Oct 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
  4. Oct 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
  5. Oct 25, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    treehugger

treehugger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DC 4x4
    265/75/16 BFG AT2 Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75
    Boom. Case closed!! :bananadance::yes: @K Mac

My mind is at ease now. This all seems to check out. Thanks for all the help everyone. I remember having my hand on the gear shifter, can't remember if I was going to back up or not it feels like ages ago. I'll assume I slipped the shifter forward towards reverse while i was talking, let it go all the way, stalled it...lights, camera, action.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    K Mac and Old School like this.
  6. Oct 25, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    :drunk: Time to celebrate!

K Mac likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    2016_dbag

2016_dbag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 POSTURD
    Lawfarin and nevadabugle like this.
  8. Oct 25, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY

He's too busy trying to come up with the next design flaw

0uTkAsT, 2016_dbag[QUOTED] and K Mac like this.
  9. Oct 26, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Actually I was wondering who is going to pickup on obvious.:D
    I am going to go @DoorDing route, and simply try make this my last post on this topic since we seem to be going in circle for 26 pages. On the end its a problem for 2016 truck owners, its your engine not mine.
    But I would not buy 2016 truck so for those reading in the near future looking at used 2016, I would stay clear of them unless you want to get oil issues.
    Now to the meat..

If anything, K Mac had proven that OP @treehugger did not simply stall his engine, because there is no oil level light in K Mac messages. Therforre OP could not have just simple stall. If it was than K Mac stall should have oil level message as well but it didn't did it.
    Also @Ares32 proved that oil level problem is not simple malfunction of the sensor being at the angle. If that was the case than you would get oil level warning much more often and you would not have to find a "spot" than wait for oil to get pumped to get message.
    So if you rule out obvious the only thing left is that there is a problem with 2016 and lubrication. In @treehugger case, he was idling got no damage to engine so after a restart oil pressure build up (just like after oil change) and he went on his merry way.
    In case of @Brob92 seems there was more damage hence Toyota went med-evil on his truck.

On the end who cares, its other peoples problem, so I am looking forward to future threads like.
    "I lost pressure, and blown my engine should I go with rebuild or pull one from junk?"
    You know because that coating that saved your ass at the beginning will eventually wear down. :D
    Well Good luck... :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  10. Oct 26, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    2016_dbag

2016_dbag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 POSTURD
    tl;dr - blueT has no idea what he's talking about and continues to make up problems about a truck he has no intention on buying.

3dBdown likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    23Skidoo

23Skidoo A thirsty fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    https://youtu.be/xvFZjo5PgG0
    Vehicle:
    meme

Caligula and 2016_dbag like this.
  12. Oct 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
  13. Oct 26, 2015 at 2:33 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    I'll just say this to anyone that has or is looking into a 2016 Tacoma:

Everyone already knows this motor is new. Sure, the engineers do a bunch of testing. Most of which is in a controlled environment, usually not even mounted to the chasis of the new vehicle. Then once they complete a few testing phases they drop it a test mule and do some runs. They don't do years worth of testing nor are they fully able to simulate every environment or situation that "you" (the consumer) will be using the vehicle in/for.

So what does this mean? Well, it means that yes you could have a problem. Design issue or maybe just bad luck of the draw that something fails. This happens with all manufactures! I work on cars for a living and I can tell you a lot of the manufactures have a lot more quality control issues than Toyota. Infact Toyota over the past 20-25 years has ranked higher than most in quality. If you absolutely love the new Tacoma and want one, you may have no issue at all, or you could get one and it turn into a complete headache. Right now it's too early to tell the problems they will have. Consumers don't fully report all problems and not everyone is a member of a Tacoma forum. But rest your mind at ease that Toyota usually doesn't make junk, and they also have warranties! (base, and powertrain)

Should you worry? Not at all! If you love the new Tacoma and have to have one, go get one! If your a bit leery, and have some worries about it, then simply wait a little bit, while Toyota gets feedback from the dealers and customers and works out the issues that arise. There will be issues, there always is something, but Toyota usually isn't putting short blocks in brand new vehicles like other manufactures when they release something. Not that it hasn't or couldn't happen. Usually it's a few small things, and with the technology today a lot of times it's just new software flashes for ECU's and things that are the cause and can fix a lot of issues.

So to sum this up! If you have a 16 Tacoma, if this thread (or BlueT) have you nervous, just relax. If you do end up having some sort of problem, try to document it the best you can and get it to a Toyota service department so they can take a look at it and document the problem. Even if they can't duplicate the issue or find and fix the problem, Toyota still gets to see the repair orders and the issue the vehicle is coming in for. Like any manufacture they look at how many customers have the same or similar concerns and they will investigate the problem(s) and try to duplicate them if the dealers can't. Then they work on a fix. It doesn't always happen overnight but they will have a solution to the problem. We've even had engineers fly out to look at problems with technicians to find and fix problems. Even a few vehicle buy backs for serious problems that can't be resolved quickly. These vehicles go back to the factory and they dissect them to find the issue, then they repair and auction them. The most important thing as an owner who has a problem is to be proactive and get it into the shop. The faster Toyota finds any problem, the faster they can get a fix if one isn't available. And if it's something that effects a bunch of vehicles that were in the same production runs or shared parts from the same lot, getting a faster fix will help out a bunch of other people too!

BlueT I understand you are just trying to help figure out a problem another forum member may have, but jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about the 3rd gen and problems they may or may not have is just uncalled for. I respect the fact that you do seem to have a genuine concern, wanting to find any issue that may have been missed or overlooked by Toyota, and wanting people to be cautious about purchasing a new 33-40k vehicle. But there is a better way than to bash the new trucks and make false accusations about problems that may not even exist.

treehugger[OP], mike2810 and Sterdog like this.
  14. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    CaliDevilDoc

CaliDevilDoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road 4x4. 1995 FZJ80
    OME nitrochargers, 886, and Dakars
    2016 TRD offroad 4x4 and this same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago when I was wheeling. I was going up a steep incline on 4H, then I shifted to neutral to go into 4L, after that, I gave a little gas and then engine stalled and same lights and symptoms that OP said. Then I went into neutral again and restarted engine and no issues or symptoms afterwards. I think its an electrical or computer hiccup rather than any terrible mechanical failure. Hopefully.

15. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
  16. May 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    O_Nevermind

O_Nevermind Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2k16 TRD OR DCLB Barcelona Red
    Rain Guards and Bug Deflector.
    Welp, 2016 OR DCLB here, same issue happened to me today. Was going down hill at a small decline and stalled. Left it off for 5 min and started up again, but shut off after taking off again with same codes. Then again after letting it cool off for a longer period of time. Towed it to the dealer and we will see what they say about it. It has 12k miles on it and had no problems whatsoever.

17. Nov 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chester Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    Had similar issue this weekend. Tried to get up a slippery incline-maybe 15 degrees. I lost momentum and spun, and probably began to slide backwards. Next thing I knew the engine shut off and I got the low oil pressure light. I backed down to level ground, checked everything out and restarted it. It was a very hard start; it cranked for a good 4-5 seconds before firing. No issues after that, but it has never taken that long to fire, even after an oil change

18. Jan 6, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    tacomaknox

tacomaknox New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road - Double Cab - Magnetic Gray
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road bought this summer and this is what exactly happened to me last night. Freaked a little bit when the truck stalled out and the low oil pressure light came on. I was backing down a moderately steep incline to pull into a friend's place and this happened. Has this just always been a problem? Looking for answers as well. Covered under warranty.

19. Jul 8, 2021 at 10:17 PM
    ngAvaddon

ngAvaddon Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    2021 trd off-road. Was in 4wd. Backed up uphill 2ft. Was standing there loading stuff into the trunk. Engine was running. randomly started to vibrate for 10-15s then do normal working, then stalled.
    Would not start. Displayed all kinds of errors - low oil pressure, engine, foot on a break, take it to a dealer…
    Rolled in neutral to the side of the road. Stood there for several min, it started.

Drove back up home, stalled again in front of the garage. Same error, same shit. Eventually started.

I do have ignition fuse tapped - I’ll remove the tap if it will happen again, but it is probably same issue everyone else had on prior years.

Products Discussed in

To Top