1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck vs Bike

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ArMarine04, Jan 9, 2012.

?

Truck vs Bike?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2012.
  1. A

33 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. B

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. C

32 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. Jan 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    No worries, man. Hell, I agree with you. :thumbsup: :)

2. Jan 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    ArMarine04

ArMarine04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    I've always had sports bikes and the last one I sold before coming to Japan. I really want a more comfortable bike with the compact feel of a sports bike and I feel that the sportster would fit my style quite good because short to medium DAY trips is all I aspire to ride. But everyone says buy a bigger bike than you want right now because you will grown out of it. They said that about my old 600 and I never grew old or tired of it. That bike fit me and my body type well and was faster than I ever wanted to go in it. I would want a bike comfortable in on the long stretches of highway and nimble enough to take some turns.

3. Jan 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    zimm52

zimm52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sneakin up behind you
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    nothing yet!
    Truck all the way for me.

4. Jan 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    bd129766

bd129766 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    shiner, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    Flowmaster dual exhuast, K&N filter, bilstein @ .85" front, bilstein rear
    I'd say go mild and get both. My 06 Prerunner is paid off nice with nice whells and tires, level lift, and exhaust. My truck fits the purpose i use it for and has a little character as well. My 09 GSXR 600 is really close to being paid off with a slip-on and a fender elimenator. Its one hell of a ride any time swing a leg over her and it really put thing into perspective. I enjoy both alot and am happy with my choice. I use both as daily drivers throughout the year. ArMarine04 live within your limits, try to find a used bike like said before, if you can live with a non-harley then theres lots of great bikes for a lot less. Not everyone needs the ultimate off road truck if their not going to use it to its true potential (although it would be sweet). You just have to make the best decision for you that wont sink you into debt.

5. Jan 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    JavaJoe1

JavaJoe1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access cab Pre-Runner SR5
    Secondary air filter removal, AFE Pro Dry, 5100's all around front set at 2.5, 2" AAL in rear, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, 265/70-17 Grabber AT2's, XD Addicts, wanting to do: BHLM, Satoshi/T-rex grill
    Personally I ride a sport bike but would love a Yamaha Roadstar 1800. I am a factroy trained mechanic, have been for 6 years (jap bikes only). As for the OP if your set on a sporster get it, weren't we all stuck on a Tacoma? But if its comfort, feel, and price look seriously at a few year old Yamaha FZ1. You wont be grouped with the crotch rocket riders, an up right riding position, and power to boot.

6. Jan 10, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Based on that, have you considered the FZ-1 or one of the BMW GS series bikes? There are also some larger displacement sport touring bikes that seem to fit that description better than a sportster and you might be happier with one of those if you're coming off a sport bike.

7. Jan 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Whatever you plan on doing- I would look at the sales programs while you are over there. There are special deals (like no sales tax) and/or discounts for military overseas from most companies that sell vehicles...Just gotta look for them.

And I would go with D-Truck stuff and your Harley when you can pay all cash. Finacing toys is bad business.

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    Good god man, buy a Harely? I wouldnt care if I won the lottery that is one brand of bike that would NEVER come into my garage. And I mean Never!

Currently ride a 2010 Yamaha FZ1 and previous ride was a 2005 Goldwing.

Installed a set of hard bags on the FZ1 and it is pretty close to a do it all bike. But (I can't believe I am saying this) in my opinion is has to much power as the front end will come up every time you open her up in 1st or 2nd. Other than that it has a great seating position for us old guys:)

9. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    I also have always had a 600 sport bike. I agree, it's plenty fast and I am not bored of the power. 1000cc is for sure nice to ride, but to use all that power on the street is suicide!

I have a feeling you haven't demo'd a sportster yet. I've ridden a brand new sportster. It DOES NOT handle nimble and take turns well, especially if you're use to sport bike handling. Brakes are terrible as well, again, comparing to a modern sport bike.

If you are set on a Harley because you want a "Harley", go for it! Just make sure it's because you want the joy of riding a raw, rumbly twin... but don't buy a Harley for 'performance'.

If you want something that's fun to bomb around on but you can still ride it spiritedly in the curves, there's many more suitable bikes out there.

... oh - and my vote is mildly mod the truck. You know that saying: "4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul" - there's truth to that! Get a bike too!!:D

10. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I say get a bike, but not a harley

unless you understand the consequences of owning a harley and still want one, then go for it.

11. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Get a Yamaha Super Tenere. Nuf said.:cool:

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    Those are real nice!

I currently have an FZ1 and it definitely meets all my needs and I came from a R6 looking for the same things you are... comfy, fast and nimble. Plenty of grunt when I need it.

I like having a bike and I would gladly sacrifice Tacoma goodies to maintain both the bike and truck.

13. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    hmmm... Looks like Yamaha wants to step up and challenge the BMW GS series market. Looks like a nice machine!

14. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    ArMarine04

ArMarine04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC

Never heard that quote before but I love it now!!! My old riding club was good mix of sport bikes and cruisers (harleys and other makes as well) and no one ever had anything bad to say about the harleys I'm kinda of shocked that everyone is advising against them. TO ME the bike seems to fit me well and the style of the bike fits my taste quite well. I've looked and looked and looked numerous times but now I have never demo'd one yet I figured that was one of those things you do when you were more serious about purchasing one. I do want to purchase one but the timing is off.

Not a fan of the sport touring bikes never really liked that style of bike. I am wrapped around the whole persona of the "harley" and I love it.

Is there something I am missing?

15. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:42 AM
    JavaJoe1

JavaJoe1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access cab Pre-Runner SR5
    Secondary air filter removal, AFE Pro Dry, 5100's all around front set at 2.5, 2" AAL in rear, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, 265/70-17 Grabber AT2's, XD Addicts, wanting to do: BHLM, Satoshi/T-rex grill
    Google "sportster problems" to get an idea of what would be in store.

But yeah I would ride the wheels off a 1200 nightster.

16. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:49 AM
    bobg03

bobg03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wheels, Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    No Harley fan here.....and believe me I've had a few.

But for some people the "calling" of owning a Harley is unescapable, guess it makes them feel like "they belong", but why I would never know again.

If you are fixated w/being one of the " Chosen" do yourself a favor and look at a V-Rod. Much different animal for a hog.

Other than that look at the Victory line...much better variety to fit any desire.

For the record I currently own a Kawi 1500 Vulcan and most of the clowns I ride with still have Harleys, I got my stones broke hard when I purchased it in 2005, three days later I sold my last 2 Harleys.

17. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    1. Never finance a toy.
    2. Most of the people "bashing" Harley's have never owned one, much less ridden one. Take their advice with a grain of salt.
    3. The quality on HD is MUCH better than 2 decades ago. They make a pretty good quality bike, and it is easy to modify.
    4. Get the bike you want. A Sporty is not expensive enough to beat yourself up over, and you may find, a year to 5 down the road, that you want a different bike. Remember - this will be your first, not your last.
    5. Give the alternatives a shot. Honestly, in the 10K range, you open up a ton of options. At least go check a few out.

I ended up on a Kawasaki Nomad 1700 a couple years back, after riding the Nomad, HD Electra-Glide, Road King, and a few others. My dad just picked up a BMW R1200CLC (their full dress "cruiser"). Both of us like the HD, but found better options for our needs.

full disclosure - Triumph, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and HD in the garage.

18. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    I'm just throwing this out there. Ducati Diavel. Checked it out at the motorcycle show and it is a sweet and powerful ride.

[​IMG]

19. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    That thing looks like it should be framed and hung on a wall. It's gorgeous.

20. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    i meant to put C ill try to get from both worlds :D

Products Discussed in

To Top