1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck will not start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 97_tacoma, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 1997 Tacoma with a 2.7L. I went to start it the other day and it would crank strong but will not start. All of the spark plugs are getting spark and all the cylinders are getting fuel. I check all the fuses with an ohm meter and all of them are good. I checked the resistance of the coils, spark plug wires, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, mfi relay, and the circuit opening relay and all of them were well within service spec. I also check all the grounding straps on the engine, and they are good. There are no obd2 check engine light codes.

I could not find a wiring diagram specificly for a 1997 ecu. I did find 1 for a 1998 model and according to that diagram my ecu is not getting any power. I downloaded the 1996 fsm, but the ecu wiring is different. The Haynes manual isn't much help with the ecu diagram.

My questions are:
    Does anyone know where a 1997 2.7L specific ecu wire diagram is?
    If the ecu truly is not getting any power, would the spark plugs still spark?
    Are there any suggestions of things to check or what could be wrong?

Thanks a lot

2. May 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    biggecko

biggecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tarek
    Apex,nc
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD SR5 pre-runner v6 3.4
    nerf bars, deckplate mod, billys 5100 all the way round with an aal in back
    no bother looking for wiring diagrams if you know for a fact its getting a spark, if u know for sure its getting both their is no telling what it could be, try starting fluid spray in intake

3. May 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Check the engine timming maybe? :confused:

4. May 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    x2 check to see if valves are moving....

5. May 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If you get spark and fuel, it has to be an air problem. Inspect intake, exhaust and air filter for obstructions.
    How long has it been since it's last run?
    How do you know it's getting fuel to the cylinders?

6. May 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Like mentioned you say you have spark, & how do you know its getting fuel ? Does it sound like the plugs are out when you turn it over ? Or does it sound like the battery;s dead ? (even though you know its ok)Either of these conditions could mean a timing belt/chain could've taken a shit on you

7. May 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's getting gas because when I took the spark plugs out, all of them were wet and smelled like gas. I tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body, but it still did not start.

The engine turns over fast. I did put the battery on a charger, but it was fully charged.

The last time I drove the truck, it drove great no problems. I tried to start it 2 days later and it will not start.

I will check the air intake for obstructions and the engine timing.

8. May 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    When you say fast , faster than usual ?? (I think we're gettin' close)

9. May 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    wet plugs & your SURE your getting spark ? (pull plug wire & ground it,seeing arc) no audio of how it sounds turning over. (believe me if you do, can tell you in about 5 sec. what it is)....;)

10. May 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    DonnoD

DonnoD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 v6
    check timing, and check for compression on every cylinder if your timing is good.

11. May 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    If his motor is spinning over like no compression its about 100% for sure timing belt/chain (not sure what they have) have gone south on him..

12. May 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    DonnoD

DonnoD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 v6
    or blew his head gasket or cracked or warped the cylinder head.

13. May 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

yeah true to a point, even if blown head (unless it was hot enough to melt) you'd get more or less normal rotation w/exception of the odd single sound everytime that cylinder reached its stroke where as if belt/chain break it throws ALL the valve timing off leaving them in a slightly open/slightly closed mode (no compression) most the time & usually without warning

14. May 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    DonnoD

DonnoD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 v6
    easiest way to check this is to take off engine oil cap and have someone else try to start the engine and look in the oil cap hole if the cam or rockers are moving, if nothings moving then the chains busted, if its moving then maybe the chain tensioner and guide took a shit and threw the engine out of timing.

15. May 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Sorry, I should have made my other post more clear. When I said the motor was turning over fast, I meant it turns over at normal speed. Not slow like the battery is dieing. The engine is not making any strange sounds or anything abnormal when cranking.

I am 100% sure all the spark plugs are sparking. I took all of them out 3 separate times to test for spark.

I will check the compression and check that the cams and rockers are moving. I could be wrong, but based on the fact the truck drove perfect prior to not starting has me thing it's an electrical vs mechanical issue.

16. May 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Wet plugs? Wet with what? Water, oil, or gas? If gas only, it's flooded. If fuel injected, hold the accelerator to the floor while starting. This will cut off fuel to all cylinders.
    If water, you either have condensation from sitting, or coolant problems.
    When was the last time it ran?

17. May 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    A vaccuum check is a far better test of the engine's overall health. It's faster and easier.
    Google vac gauge chart for proper readings and troubleshooting. Vac readings will tell you if valves are seating and if you have compression.

18. May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    I drove it 2 days before it won't start. I did not know that holding the accelerator down cuts off the fuel, I will remember that.

I just did a compression test using a cheap harbor freight gauge. I removed the efi fuse, removed all the spark plugs, and held the throttle pedal all the way down. The numbers were: 160, 145, 150, and 165. I will redo the test tomorrow to verify the numbers. The truck has 203,000 miles.

I could only see 1 camshaft from the oil fill, but it was spinning when cranking the engine.

19. May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Four compression cycles per cylinder give you an accurate reading. Wait a couple minutes between cylinders and put the battery on charge. Google the correct readings. They should be pretty consistent from cylinder to cylinder.
    A vac test is much easier to do. Pull a line off the intake and connect there.

20. May 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Accel pedal holddown only works on fuel injection. Don't try it on carbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top