1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck woes, what to do...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ipunchwalls, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Ipunchwalls

Ipunchwalls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    So I have a 2005 DCSB that was involved in an accident back in april (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/90246-truck-got-fed-up.html) and have had it back for about 1.5-2 months. I used the 4wd for the first time since the accident about 3 weeks ago when I was stuck in some pretty deep water (like just under the door, which is pretty high seeing as how I'm lifted 6" and have 33"s) anyways, once I got out, I took it out of 4wd and things seemed fine. Well about a week later I went to start the car (bear in mind I hadn't used the 4wd since) and the 4wd indicator starts flashing. I take it to the dealership and they determined that actuator was stuck and that I'd probably need to replace it. I didn't have time for them to hold on to the truck as I needed to start work the following monday, so they got it unstuck and I went on my way. Well today I used the 4wd again, first time no problem at all, turned it off good to go. Second time, still not a problem good to go. Then I went to publix to snag a delicious turkey sub for lunch and when I go to turn the car on, BAM flashing 4wd indicator. So then I take the car up to the dealership here in tallahassee (I'm from Gainesville), told them what the gville dealership had told me and showed them the work order or whatever I got from gville toyota. They looked at the truck and said, yep gotta replace the actuator, $1608...fuck.

Cliffs: Car got wrecked; Car got wet; 4wd actuator broken

My question is do you guys think I should try dealing with the as it could have been from the accident and just not fixed or do I suck it up pay and kick my own ass for going into that water?

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    If you decide to replace, get one from a recycling yard for a fraction of the price.

www.car-part.com

Search "transfer case electric motor". Several came up in the Tampa area for ~$300

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    Ipunchwalls

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    Would love to do that but I'm on a very time sensitive schedule and need my truck back tomorrow

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The truck can be driven with a bad actuator for a couple of days until the replacement arrives, as long as the shop can get it back into 2wd. Unless you NEED 4wd on a daily basis, why pay a grand more for the same thing?:confused:

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea if you need to drive it just get it forced back into 2wd mode and don't mess with it. Disconnect the electronics on the actuator if need be (and if needed desperately disconnect the front diff drive shaft).

It seems like the actuator is working though so... it seems replacing it is a shotgun expensive technique for what might just be some shorting out, relay, or some other minor electrical gremlin. You did drive it through water after-all, I'd start there. If they can link some physical damage causing it via the accident (doubtful from the pics) then have the insurance company cover it as it should have been fully restored to it's prior state.

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    Ipunchwalls

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    I use my 4wd on a daily basis, and I'm thinking it's too late as they already ordered the part. I agree with you it being some stupid electrical thing, but I figured they would have looked for that. I mean when it was in the shop initially back in gainesville they had it for a week trying to figure out what was up. They replaced the switch, though I don't know about any of the relays. It sucks because I honestly can't do my job without my truck, so I rushed through this process and essentially told them it needed to be fixed. Granted their eye's probably lit up at this and they immediately went for the must be replaced straegy. Sigh, I am sad

Products Discussed in

To Top