1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck wont start help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by j4roe, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    j4roe

j4roe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    phx
    Vehicle:
    prerunner 3.4
    Fox coilovers, prerunner bumper with skid plate, flaired front fenders, CAI, throttle body spacer, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, 33 bfgoodrich Baja all terrain tires, billstein 5500 rear shocks with Deaver leafs....
    I have a 99 Tacoma 3.4 desert prerunner. After work I went to start my truck and boom nothing. The battery is definitley shot, but Ive basically been waiting for it to go, so I call triple A for a jump. Triple A gets there, hooks me up and boom nothing. The Triple A guy says your battery is definitley almost done, and its gotta be something else because its not jumping. The truck has a CALIFORNIA KILL SWITCH if anybody is familiar with these you have to engage the brights while your turning the key to start the vehicle. Now for the last year since i have owned the truck Ive had a couple of incidents with wiring I assume is associated with the kill switch. There have been some times where I go to start the truck and boom nothing so i reach up under the driver side flaired fender and finger some of these loose wires under the hood and it always does the trick, starts right up. Ive always figured it was some loose end wire and have never gotten it looked at. Basically what Im asking is what could this be? The truck wont start, and it sounds like a battery, but my sound system and lights and everything else are still working. So is this some kind of electrical issue with the KILL SWITCH or possibly a STARTER issue? PLEASE HELP, I dont want to take it to an electrical shop and pay out of my asshole for this. HELP! thanks.

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Isolate the "Kill" switch from the system, then replace the battery.

3. Apr 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    j4roe

j4roe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    phx
    Vehicle:
    prerunner 3.4
    Fox coilovers, prerunner bumper with skid plate, flaired front fenders, CAI, throttle body spacer, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, 33 bfgoodrich Baja all terrain tires, billstein 5500 rear shocks with Deaver leafs....
    It wasnt the battery. Bought a new one and replaced the old one, still wouldnt do anything. I thought I was going to have to buy a new starter after reading a couple of other threads on other tacoma forums. Today I went out to see if it could have been the electric that goes from the battery to the starter and sure enough that was the problem. Just a little corrosion i think and now it starts right up.

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Bobbed Left front ~ Ok not really but I bought it crashed from the kids dad 4-CHEAP. Frame Swap and 04 Clip + 6" lift ~ Woo Hoo!!!
    Still need to correct the terminal / corrosion issue. If you don't chances are it will be back.

You can ohm test the connection from the battery terminal to the frame ground and then also to the engine ground. Also test battery hot side post to starter lug. Each circuit should have less then 5 ohms.

THe little green and red fluffy fuzzy battery corrosion isolators from WalMart are worth their weight in gold.

You might also want make a "what if" plan to bypass your Cali kill just incase you are stuck in the middle of no where and need to diagnose it on the road.

Most high beam switches are generally working a ground circuit and the starte kill would use the ground to trigger a relay in the Key'd ignition circuit to the starter sylinoid.

A simple hot wire rigged from the battery / to an aligator clip / to a momentary on "Push Button" / to the starter sylinoid terminal~ would work to get your starter turning again. With key on / truck in neutral or park / and brake on it should start.

Also next time any bad connection will have high resistance. This high resistance will build heat fast ~ so the bad connection will be Burn Yo Ass HOT...

To Top