1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck wouldn't start. Starter rebuild

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thyces, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    Thyces

Thyces [OP] 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    New battery, big 3 upgrade, 3000w inverter used kinda heavily lately (truck always running). She started fine this morning but lately on a cold start I've noticed a bit of a delay in between the starter and the truck actually turning over. I'm at work, started the truck, used the inverter and left it running. Stopped the truck went back to work for an hour or so. Came back to the truck, tried to start and nothing. All I get is a whirring, almost grinding noise when I try to start it, no clicking. Kinda like the noise a unprimed aquarium pump makes. I have someone coming to give a boost in an hour or so but I'm worried it won't help. Any ideas?

2. Nov 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Kotah

Kotah Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 silver trd off-road Dc
    Oem running boards Window vent shades Oem bed mat liner
    If it want boost and starter makes funny sound its probably the starter solenoid, but dont give up on the battery problem, i had a battery give me a fit it checked good at advanced auto on their machine but it was really bad finally showed up the next day, it would start fine some times then other it would not,i was ready to buy a starter when the battery finally showed bad

monsterkx2fiddy likes this.
  3. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Do you top the battery off with a charger? The alternator might not be putting enough juice back each time.

Note to self: follow your own advice.

4. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    No I do not. I may need to look into that. Would running the truck for 15 min after using the inverter be enough?

5. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Could be, but might not. Are you just idling? The amp output of any alt is drastically reduced as RPMs drop. I installed a hand throttle to be able to set the RPMs for recharges after winching.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hand-throttle-write-up.425494/

@Wheelspinner was my favorite member after he posted that write up.

6. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He's right though, heavy heavy winching or using an inverter that size takes a toll on the battery. At Idle while in use the alternator might not be able to keep up. Lockable hand throttle would help to keep alt Rpms up. Also a period of idle time before and after heavy use of the inverter should help aswell

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You are killing the battery. A jump start should do you and put it on a charger overnight. If you are using the inverter that much it would probably be worth it to invest in a small generator instead of killing the truck.

Gunshot-6A, MQQSE and Alembicguy like this.
  8. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like OP is an ideal candidate for dual batteries.

9. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:39 AM
    Boyk1182

Boyk1182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    I’d put it on a trickle charger overnight at 2A. That’s how I used to charge the boat battery, and it will let you know real quick when you reinstall if it’s bad.

Pigpen likes this.
  10. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Just got a boost from a buddy and she started right up. Considering dual batteries with a charge controller and solar panel. I'd rather not have to carry around any more tools than I already do (full bed). I'll definitely check out the hand throttle. Thanks for all the input. Do you guys think a upgraded alternator would be necessary?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    dziner likes this.
  11. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    mabepossibly

mabepossibly I know enough to make an ass of myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Manual
    Skids, Sliders, Lights
    Buy a generator.

12. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    You can't really take full advantage of your wiring upgrade without a high amp alt. I'd go 250 for your uses. I looked at doing it, but so far my Northstar 27f battery and stock 130 amp alt are doing the trick.

Thyces[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I don't hesitate to buy tools, but I'd rather not have to carry around excess. I don't rely on the truck as a power source all the time. But I do run into situations where I need to run a skill saw or in this case a d handle mixer. It would make more sense to me to have a fully integrated power solution than have to carry around yet another tool that I rarely use.

14. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:

I agree with you on this. Just keep upgrading every time you find the weak link in the system. Right now it's the alt. a second battery will probably be next. Maybe a solar trickle charger. This is how you build a rig to suit your needs. When it serves your uses, you stop throwing money at it because it does what you need it to do. It sounds like your mods are tax write offs too...I know a thing or two about this game.

15. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    :anonymous:

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    mabepossibly

mabepossibly I know enough to make an ass of myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Manual
    Skids, Sliders, Lights
    At some point the answer is to buy a screw driver rather than a bigger hammer to drive screws into wood.

Pickeledpigsfeet and Jimmyh like this.
  17. Nov 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I understand what you're saying, but I understand where OP is going with this. He will be able to cover all of his work needs as well as have a badass setup for overland trips. Fuck carrying around a generator when you're already driving one.

timbobzimbob and Thyces[OP] like this.
  18. Nov 26, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I would agree if I was needing 15 amps on a daily. I don't. I dont need to run a framing crew off my truck. I need to have the most compact solution possible. I will be buying a generator, just not carrying it around, every day, for the once a month I may happen to need it. That doesn't make sense to me. Having a set up with me that I can tap into and use whenever I need, that makes sense. By the way.... I've driven plenty 3" screws just fine with my stiletto Tb 15....

Pickeledpigsfeet, Sub_Par and Pigpen like this.
  19. Nov 27, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Just purchased a mechman 240. I've seen cheaper but no one offers a 2 year warranty.

20. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Thyces

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I do have a switch on it. The issue is I currently don't have enough recharge after use. I'm running 15 amp draw tools.

SOSC likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top