1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck won't track straight after lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gmartin284, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    SPC UCAs are great, easy to adjust and easy to service (they're greaseable so you'd have to get a grease gun to service them every 3-5k miles or so). My only complaint with them is that the old grease coming out of the boots can get kind of messy, but it's nice that they are greaseable in the first place.

I have the 3 leaf AAL on my truck and it got the job done (gave me about 3" of lift in the rear) but it is stiff as all hell. In hindsight I wish I had bought once/cried once and spent the extra coin on a full replacement leaf pack. They ride better and will last longer (add a leaf doesn't increase the lifespan of your current leaf springs). If they're up there in mileage, I'd just replace them with the OME ones.

2. Sep 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Not that I need to, but I'll echo the need for UCA's. You need more caster. Wheel balance is good, and double check the pressures.

Side story: I had a bal/rotate done and somehow ended up with a very darty and unstable truck. On a road trip to boot. Thought I blew shocks or something serious. It scared me and when my wife tried to drive I thought I was going to die. Turns out I had 55 psi in the tires. Got it down to 34 and it was a huge difference.

3. Sep 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    JJshib

JJshib Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DC Off Road
    OP, I have the same problem; lifted the truck last weekend, set at 1" (will lift to 3" once I have $ for tires); got an alignment at Les Schwab. Truck will now drift to the right when steering wheel is straight ahead; not sure what to do.

4. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:10 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    UCAs

5. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Probably a bad alignment.

6. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I had this issue with Firestone. Most alignment shops don't know how to properly align a lifted truck; most of them just go off of the factory alignment specs which are no longer relevant after you've lifted your suspension. Some shops will do a 'custom alignment' if you ask for one but you have to be clear about it. No matter where you go, tell them your truck is lifted and it needs to be aligned accordingly. If they tell you they only align to factory specs then go to a different shop.

Edit: and its much easier to get a lifted truck custom-aligned properly with aftermarket/adjustable UCAs, especially if you're lifted close to or over 3".

7. Sep 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    JJshib

JJshib Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DC Off Road
    still having issues with my truck; going in for another alignment tomorrow
    Could uneven preload on the front, be a cause to make the truck track differently? Like if I was 1/8 of an inch off side to side?

Products Discussed in

To Top