1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck would not move - felt like stuck parking brake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Luc@z, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Dec 2, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    djadonis206

djadonis206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma SR5
    My 2016 Tacoma's emergency brake seems to be frozen at the moment. But unfortunately my truck slid off to the side of the road and is currently stuck in a ski area parking lot. I'm headed back up to get the truck but how do you unfreeze the e brake?

It's not going to get above 25 degrees in the next few days. I can't really leave my truck off to the side of the ski area parking lot for longer than a day.

Will warming my truck up work? Or do I need to have it towed to a warmer elevation?

Thanks!!!

2. Dec 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM
    530Yota

530Yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marysville Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Toyota Tacoma Trd
    My truck just froze on me just earlier, I somehow go it to break loose after sitting in the car for roughly 10 mins. What I did was put my truck in 4lo and lockers on, tried to drive my car off hoping to get it unstuck( I know bad idea) but instead I stalled my car and motor died(stick shift) on me. After starting it back up, I was free. But now my break pedal feels softer, there isn’t much pressure, just checked my fluid and it’s at the MIN line, so I’m hoping that that’s the problem atm.
    Also I don’t think that heating the car up will do anything, I’ve been driving my truck all day, and parked my car on the driveway just seconds before it froze on me. Once I reversed my truck I pulled my ebrake to do something quick and that’s when it froze on me. Time of night was approximately 10:40 pm and roughly 49 degrees. Don’t think temperature has a play with this, at least in my scenario.

3. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    mshultz

mshultz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wooster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red
    I have a 2014 4WD automatic. This has happened to me after hosing the underbody and then parking it with the parking brake engaged. It would generally break loose with a clunk as I put it in drive. The last time, I had to drag a rear wheel several feet until I had room to back up in the garage. I believe that when the semi-metallic brake pads get wet and the parking brake is set, they corrode fast to the drum. I now leave the parking brake off if I hose the underbody or otherwise get it really wet.

I realize this thread started in 2010, but decided to comment anyway since it has been revived.

4. Dec 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Be careful using 4-lo and the locker to break the pads free. I ended up breaking, bending and then replacing the rear brakes doing this.

5. Dec 17, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    530Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marysville Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Toyota Tacoma Trd
    Curious what was the total of cost to repair it for you?
    Just took a peak under my rear tire and looks like I’m leaking brake fluid bc and I don’t have much pressure on my brakes. I’m assuming i blew something. Haven’t had time to take off the rim to actually look at it yet.

6. Dec 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    08TacoTrD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    I did the work myself so I'm not sure what the cost was for replacing the brakes on both sides. The metal for the pads were bent, the springs were distorted. I can't find any pics right now but it wasn't pretty.

7. Dec 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    530Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marysville Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Toyota Tacoma Trd
    Ok thanks. How many hours did it take you to replace the lines and pads? I’m planning to tackle this tomorrow on my day off.

8. Dec 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    08TacoTrD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    It took a few hours. I didn't replace the brake lines nor the cylinders since amazingly with all the bent metal inside they weren't busted.o_O

530Yota likes this.
  9. Dec 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    530Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marysville Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 Toyota Tacoma Trd
    Looked like I busted my cylinder only, replaced that and my bread drum brakes since I already had it apart, wasn’t too bad to replace

Products Discussed in

To Top