1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TruKnight's Autobot Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by TruKnight, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    update: tried the 'nail in tire' mod. not a fan, had to get it fixed, apparently ran over one somewhere. :oops:

got a lot of use out of that bedside electrical plug to power my air pump tho!

thinking about getting a new set of ko2's tho, since my og ko1's are coming up on 8 years old now. they still seem like they are in good shape, but not sure if I should run them out for another few years since my daily commute is tiny and I dont offroad. :confused:

2. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Chrysalisbass03

Chrysalisbass03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SWB ACLB TRD Off Road
    Wow, just went through the whole thread and great job! Did you by chance make a parts list you could post to do the front end conversion swap? Been looking to do this to my early 2nd gen as well and was wondering what all exact parts I might need.

3. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    tanks!

I did but I lost it. however this thread is even better than what I had: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-12-15-tacoma-front-end-swap-with-pictures.632719/

good luck!

4. Nov 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    Chrysalisbass03

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, the video at the end of that thread really helps! Do you remember if there were any different parts needed for the bumper itself? The op in the other thread has a aftermarket bumper so wasn't sure.

5. Nov 24, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    oh, yes you need quite a lot for the bumper assembly. try this thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2012-tacoma-front-end-conversion-rg11.293318/

and if you search around there a I think a couple of other threads with such info but I dont have them handy.

6. Nov 24, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Chrysalisbass03

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nice, thanks for the helpful info!

TruKnight[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 25, 2019 at 2:29 AM
    Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR AC
    Quicksand 2019 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    New owner of another Arkansas access cab here. I’ve enjoyed reading about your project.

41B49B71-4A16-439F-864F-D8CB9077C41A.jpg

8. Nov 25, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    welcome to tw! hardly any of us arkansans on here tho, at least around my neck of the woods, there are lots up north. glad you enjoyed my humble page! :)

9. Dec 31, 2019 at 10:08 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    happy new year tw! :pccoffee:

I guess this makes my truck officially a decade old now, I could have sworn it was just yesterday that I brought it home for the first time! :eek:

maybe someday ill bring a 4th or 5th gen home :D

10. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:43 AM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    update: replaced battery clamp with a hold down made by forum member Coupe. kind of had to since the original one lost a J screw and left my battery dangling around with just the leads to hold it in! it never fit right with the newer, larger battery anyway so good riddance. this new one is a nice upgrade, very pleased. :D

254353345533.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    DannyBFresco and HomerTaco like this.
  11. Aug 20, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    did some basic maintenance today. its only notable because this is the first time ive changed my own oil and not just had a shop do it because I didn't really want to sit in a potentially virus infested waiting room if I could avoid it. watched a few youtube tutorials, was pretty easy, will prolly do it myself from now on.

also, after digging yet another mouse nest out of the side of the rain gutter, ive given up trying to keep them out of my truck and have instead resorted to placing one of those walk the plank traps on the side of a bucket filled with water and baited with peanut butter closeby. already nabbed and drowned one of em!

12. Aug 20, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  13. Oct 21, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    log entry: replaced battery today. it wasn't dead, but I felt somehow that it was time to go ahead and do so.

HomerTaco likes this.
  14. Aug 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    log entry: changed oil 8-9-21

HomerTaco likes this.
  15. Mar 11, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    log entry 3-11-22

was time to change out the now 10 year old tires ive had since I did the lift back in 2012. my old KO1's did good so got some new KO2's for the decade ahead.

regrettably I think I have to visit the stealership to have the spark plugs and some other fluids changed after it warms up some more. I haven't taken it back there since I picked it up in 2010, but after looking at some tutorials I dont think this is a maintenance item I can manage myself and not screw it up. the only thing that bothers me is how much will they rip me off for and will I be accosted by a salesman while I wait entirely too long in the waiting room...

RickE24 and Coolerman like this.
  16. Mar 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    fluids like trans and diff I can see having a service center handle - just messy. As for the plugs, I’ve done it a few times and it’s a pretty painless process. I’d have a hard time paying for that.

DannyBFresco likes this.
  17. Mar 12, 2022 at 3:04 AM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    yes those and coolant flush and steering fluid, and I dont want to store/dispose of those fluids myself. if it were just the plugs I might try it, but id rather just squish it all in one trip. I at least change my own oil if that makes it better. :oops:

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 26, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    woke up to 5 engine codes today, same ones in this thread I found:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cel-p043e-p043f-p2401-p2402-and-p2419.187824/

ive not had time to read about it fully yet tho. in the meantime im going to clear the codes and see if they return, and have a look under the truck over the weekend to asses. its time for my oil change anyway.

hopefully I wont have to take it into the dealership tho, this system seems redundant to normal driving unless im mistaken. may ignore it for a while.

edit: first code in 12 years tho, so im not upset, figured something would snap eventually. =)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  19. Aug 26, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Charcoal Canister & filter for the fuel system. Been there, done that. :(

20. Aug 26, 2022 at 12:13 PM
    TruKnight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    im hoping it was just a fluke. ive cleared the code and its not come back for the drive home. ive never overfilled the gas tank like I read people doing tho, it was on 1/2 when this appeared. I wiped off around the gas cap in case some dirt was the issue. need to change my oil over the weekend, ill scoot under there inspect it closer now that I know it exists and where it is. hopefully its not a big rusty mess like ive seen pictures of tho.

edit: log entry, 8-28-22: oil changed, air filters changed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top