1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to avoid buyers remorse!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PoorANDStupid, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    PoorANDStupid

PoorANDStupid [OP] Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 access cab, 4x4, SWB
    Here's the story gents,
    So, i find this awesome looking 03 Tacoma 4x4 listed on the website of a dealer close to my house... My buddy and i are checkin it over in the lot and it is SUPER clean. Big tires, nice wheels, engine compartment is spotless...TRD everything (including supercharger). Guy that owns the small-time dealership comes over and asks if we have any questions...Naaa! I would like to hear it run tho. Fires right up and sounds pretty solid (have to admit i have never listened real close to a toyota v6 with a supercharger, but nothing sounds "bad"). So we let it warm up to operating temp and everything still seems pretty rock-solid and at this point I am VERY interested. I ask the guy if we can take it for a ride...that's when things get scary. He's like, "ok, this is what you need to know. 100k miles, [this is what im asking], and by the way...cash only sale cause it's got a salvage title". I play along and act like i'm not scared away by the idea and take it out for a ride. Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, works like a charm. So, at this point im thinking that the vehicle got "totaled out" by the insurance company for some BS reason and still feel like this might actually be a good buy...mind you it is everything i want. Already lifted ~4inches, nice wheels and tires, supercharged, dark tint on the windows, and a nice price tag...anyways, to the question part...WHAT am i missing? I go home and run the Carfax and sure enough, in 2011 this truck was involved in a single car rollover... anyone have and good advice for what to look for? I literally couldn't find anything that would indicate there is some kind of structural damage that might give me issues in the future. Is it possible this truck is still worth considering?

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    07 sport, ARB rear locker, leveling kit
    ARB rear locker Leveling Kit Custom Rear Bumper Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck
    Chassis straightness, take it to a chassis shop and have them do full allignment, front and rear, that will show if any tweaking went on, also look at the body mounts, they will show any kind of shifting between the frame and the body.

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    My question is this. If it had a salvage title and was repaired couldn't it have been re-inspected and a regular title re-issued? I thought I had read something about that before.

4. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    lossscause

lossscause Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 Taco DC 4x4
    Eibach coils/Bilstein 5100's, 2" block, 17x7.5 Tundra Wheels, 285/70/17 BFG AT, 1.25" All-Pro Spacers, AirLift Bags w/On Board Compressor
    From my understanding it has a salvage title until it is repaired and reinspected, then it becomes a rebuilt title.

I can't say that's a fact though.

5. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    07 sport, ARB rear locker, leveling kit
    ARB rear locker Leveling Kit Custom Rear Bumper Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck
    I have totalled my truck, and has a regular title, I have seen trucks with very little damage get totaled, and trucks that were destroyed go clear. Honestly, if it drives good runs good, drives straight. Go for it, if you don't feel good about it, someone else will.

6. Mar 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    If it checks out a couple inspections and was repaired correctly it might last who knows. My dad found a1999 Ford Expedition with a wrecked front.He bought it and had a shop repair/ replace the front.Still drives it every day and has put at lest 60k on it. We been to Baja and over the West Coast in it.

7. Mar 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    ask if you can take it to a mechanic to get the engine checked out, then take it to a body shop to get the frame alignment checked, if you want to get it bad enough the little it will cost to get it all inspected will give you solid piece of mind when you go to buy it.

8. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    Saaaweet
    dont beat your self up bout it, get it checked out and go with ur gut, that should tell u alot. If u get it we want pics:D

9. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Murph: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_title. Looks like its handles differently between states.

OP: Me, I'd never buy a salvage, no matter how great it looked and ran. There's a reason salvages run so cheap. If you do bite, then at least take it to a trusted mechanic and pay him to go over every inch of the truck. Cheaper to do this than to buy it and having it nickle and dime you - not to mention down time, etc.

10. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    You never mentioned the asking price. If you buy it be prepared to drive it into the ground or sell if you can at a lost.

Salvage title vehicles would be OK if you were living on an estate property and never license the thing and used it to plow snow,on the property, haul fire wood, clean out the horse barn stalls ect.

I have read where people buy a vehicle with a salvage title and register it from state to state and somewhere in the shuffle the vehicle comes out with a clean title. I have never heard of the repaired vehicle being inspected and cleared for sale with a clean title.

11. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I agree with twsfa, if you buy a vehicle with a salvage title, make sure you buy it cheap and plan on running it til it dies. They can be great, road worthy vehicles if repaired properly, but the resale really drops off. A husband of a lady I work with makes his living buying wrecked vehicles, fixing them, getting them reinspected and reselling them. If the shop that did the repairs did them correctly, there shouldn't be anything mechanically wrong with the vehicle. Check with your insurance and make sure you can get it insured (I believe some insurance agencies are finicky about covered salvaged vehicles). Also, read your insurance policy closely! If you buy a completely repaired vehicle with a salvage title, you want to make sure they're covering it that way. Otherwise, you may pay $5,000 for the truck and they think they're covering a $500 piece of scrap metal.

12. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    PoorANDStupid

PoorANDStupid [OP] Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 access cab, 4x4, SWB
  13. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Looks nice, I wouldn't touch it for that price... 100k miles, salvage title and $14k, no f-in way. Unless it was under $10k, I wouldn't buy it personally. Just my $0.02.

FWIW, Kelley Blue Book puts suggested retail price on that truck at $15,200, not taking into account that it has a salvage title. Only knocking off $1,000 for the salvage title isn't worth it in my opinion. As far as the lift, it could have been added as part of the fix for the rollover. It's cheaper to buy aftermarket lift components than it is to buy an OEM suspension.

14. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I agree with Pugga (and others)

The only way I'd buy that thing is if it were $5,000 and I was gonna use it as a trail only rig.

STAY AWAY from salvage titles!!! You don't know what happened. You don't know who made the repairs. You don't know how the repairs were done, etc. You'll only discover 'surprises' down the roadway that'll make you wish you never bought it.

Each State is different in how they treat salvage titles. In PA - a salvage title vehicle is illegal to be on the road. You can't register it and you can't insure it. You have to go through a brutal inspection process to apply & PASS for a *Reconstructed* title. Only then - with reconstructed title, can you register it, insure it, and drive it on the road. Even so, there are other glitches you could run into....insurance company might deny coverage for a salvage or reconstructed vehicle. Resale value won't be anything....(not that you care about that).

I think the dealership is hoping someone will come along and not have any clue what a salvage title is...and end up buying it like its a clean title - and the dealer will get away with it.

15. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    Supercharger, but no hood scoop? Thought that was part of the dealer package. Looks sharp, and whoever repaired it was ballsy enough to repaint it black (which is hard a color to cover bad bodywork). Unless you can get the dealer to "deal", and you plan to keep until it dies, walk away. Too many unknowns, and if YOU decide to sell someday, what a headache

16. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Alcan Leafs,
  17. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Az
    X2

I'd worry about the chassis being bent. If everything else after that look ok (doors open fine, all the lines match up) then it might be worth it.

I'm just weary about salvaged titles unless your going to turn this into a rock crawler or something.

18. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    Saaaweet
    it is a clean looking 1st Gen,but agree with everyone else, never know what headaches are to come...wish u the best

19. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    Find a cop and have him check the hidden VIN. You could have a salvage title/VIN on a stolen car. If you could run the VIN and find the last owner, they could tell you the history of the car.

20. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If you drive it have a buddy follow you and see if it dog trailing.

To Top