1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to choose an exhaust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JstanTaco7, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Nov 25, 2021 at 9:23 PM
    JstanTaco7

JstanTaco7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Vehicle:
    2014 Texas Edition Prerunner SR5
    New grille, double power horns, new head unit, taillights with startup animation, headlights
    Hey y'all, I am looking for a new exhaust for my 4.0L 2014 Taco.
    I am looking for a cat-back system in the $300-$550 range.
    I think I have found the one I want, the Flowmaster flowFX single exit but I have no earthly idea how loud it is, I am finding reviews ranging all the way from "it sounds like a straight pipe" to, "I didn't even notice I installed it" And I was hoping y'all could help me figure out how loud it is or any other medium loud exhausts similar to it.
    Thanks
    Ig: @jstanphotography

2. Nov 26, 2021 at 3:20 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I just traded in my '05, but had a TRD catback on that for the last 4-5 years. It was louder than stock, but not by much under normal driving conditions. When you stomped on it you could hear the exhaust wake up, but no drone on the highway. I loved it.

I just put "Flowmaster FX Tacoma" in the YouTube search, and a ton popped up. It's tough to judge without hearing it in person, but the way they formatted the video, is about as good as it gets online.
    https://youtu.be/rUl5mR_5eC4
    This one would be too loud for me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. Nov 26, 2021 at 4:02 AM
    Slyr64

Slyr64 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Access Cab
    I got the Gibson for mine. Great customer service, super easy to install. Nice throaty sound but not overly loud.

4. Nov 26, 2021 at 4:17 AM
    OffRoadRob

OffRoadRob U.S. Marine Vet

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego, Calif.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Extend Cab SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Catback Flowmaster dual exhaust system-Serve duty tow package brake system for front and back-
    I recently install a catback system on my 2006 Tacoma with a 4.0 V6 and I bought the kit that has a very aggressive Flowmaster muffler, the Super 44. There are two other mufflers above this one that are Flowmasters most aggressive, go to their website and look up street chambered mufflers and you can find where your choice is rated. Have you heard the newer Camaros or Challengers with a V6, it sounds almost the same way. It gives these trucks a growling sound when you rev up the engine or take off from a stop. I have a automatic trans so as it changes gears the exhaust sound gets quieter. The exhaust decibels are not ridiculously loud, but coming from a Tacoma, people think the truck has a performance import engine. Don't get confused with an American Muscle car with a fire breathing V8, these mufflers give a stock Tacoma a really nice performance sound without adding anything else. I love the sound my exhaust makes and I do get noticed by other Tacoma drivers. Hopefully you get the chance to hear a Tacoma in your area with a performance catback exhaust. Check with your local smog station to see if your truck will pass inspection with this system installed. My kit cost $330.00 plus tax on eBay and they go up from there, also you can get a kit that changes from a single to dual exhaust. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Nov 26, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Trd and be done with it. Stainless and one piece.

6. Nov 26, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
  7. Nov 26, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Fullboogie

Fullboogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner & 2008 4Runner
    OP - why do you think you want "an exhaust?"

8. Nov 28, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Airdreams

Airdreams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2005 access cab
    Softopper, 2022 TRD suspension, 2020 TRD Wheels, Pioneer stereo, K&N
    As far as the flow master being too loud but, it all depends on what you like. If you like it loud and screaming like hell it's not going to be loud enough if you like it to be quiet so that you can hear your music at a low volume or have a standard conversation inside the cab then it may be too loud. The Biggest problem is no one knows exactly what you're looking for.. Also no 1 knows the the way you hear things. Overall I would say in my opinion that the flowmaster is just a little bit louder than I prefer under normal driving it's OK. But I like to listen to music and at certain RPM range, it is pretty loud and drony. If you can stay just outside those RPM ranges then it quiets down quite a bit. Once you mash the pedal it opens up and gets pretty damn loud. I personally prefer something closer to a Turbo muffler that has a little bit of sound But still pretty close to stock.. This being said I think I'm going to be looking for a stock TRD muffler to see what that really sounds like.

9. Nov 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    JstanTaco7

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Vehicle:
    New grille, double power horns, new head unit, taillights with startup animation, headlights
    Thanks, I'm a teenager so my main concern was not pissing off the neighbors lol. I am looking for something on the louder side but I also don't want to get pulled over for it. That was pretty much what I was asking and that answer helped. Thanks for the help.

ABA180 and Taco 422 like this.
  10. Nov 28, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I guess things can be very subjective. I bought a TRD for my '15 not long after I got it. 6 months later I dumped that thing. The drone and loudness just wore me out....especially on the highway and under medium to hard acceleration

11. Nov 28, 2021 at 2:40 PM
    JstanTaco7

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Vehicle:
    That's understandable, I've got a friend with a nearly straight piped F-150 who's getting pretty worn out too. I don't do much highway driving so that's not a major concern of mine, and I'm not planning on getting rid of the stock exhaust so if I ever find myself consistently driving long distances I can always just put the OEM back on. Thx

12. Nov 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM
    OffRoadRob

OffRoadRob U.S. Marine Vet

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego, Calif.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Extend Cab SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Catback Flowmaster dual exhaust system-Serve duty tow package brake system for front and back-
    I can't understand all the doubting or assumptions that's going on about catback exhausts. I for one like a performance sound that an engine makes weather stock or high performance. In days when you couldn't afford a custom exhaust some guys would drill holes in their mufflers to get that performance sound, hey it was the 70's. But for me I waited until I could afford the real deal from the headers to the mufflers. There are two ways that you can hear for yourself what the sound a Tacoma with a V6 will make with a performance catback exhaust before you buy one. There are several websites on the internet that can give you a good idea or you can roll down your vehicles window as you sit next to a Tacoma with a performance exhaust in traffic. Maybe you might get lucky enough to talk to the owner and find out what he installed. I find the sound in comparisons to a newer Camaro, Mustang or Challenger with a V6. Don't get confused with the Tundra's, the majority have V8's. As for this drone sound, that I keep hearing about, a j-pipe can be installed that eliminates that sound and you can find more info on youtube. I just installed a catback Flowmaster system with a Super 44 muffler on my 06 Tacoma with a 4.0 V6 and it sounds absolutely great and it's not loud and doesn't sound like crap. If you want that then just remove the muffler on your truck. You can go further by installing headers but depending on what state you're in it might not pass smog inspection because the headers need to be smog certified in your state like good ol' California where the smog regulations are tuff. So, most of us who just installed the catback system are satisfied with it without having to install headers. Flowmaster provides a large variety of mufflers to choose, from mild to agressive, so take your time and if your still not sure than stick with what you have and be happy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Junkhead likes this.
  13. Nov 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    JstanTaco7

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Vehicle:
    Okay thank you, the Super 44 may actually be on the aggressive side for me because I'm really just looking to get a throatier sound that flowmaster provides. Thanks

14. Dec 2, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    Trd got mine from the dealership for $365

tacoman45 likes this.
  15. Dec 2, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    TRD cat back. Under $400 on sale.

also, get some exhaust hanger remover pliers

2110EF2E-538F-440C-8AEE-DE2D15C254D7.jpg
    C9483A95-DDA9-4395-899A-913C0D9E60B6.jpg
    DC358AB8-B966-4914-A905-65589BF89ECC.jpg

lo2hi and tacoman45 like this.
  16. Dec 2, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    if that's the case makes me want to sell mine given I paid about $100 for it
    to get something higher clearance

installed an HC rear so now the exhaust is just hanging down low looking goofy like it's gonna hit a rock, and makes the truck look low
    if it wasn't for that, the HC rear would make it look high

[​IMG]

Wulf and Falldownhard like this.
  17. Dec 2, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I suspect flowmasters are popular more because they have a clever name, and less because they perform well. A car I bought came with them. I enjoy a nice sounding exhaust but it was too loud for my taste. Someone I worked with put them on his firebird. It sounded like a hammer hitting a metal plate.

As a general rule regarding exhaust pipes and mufflers. Anything that restricts flow will decrease performance. Restrictions include mufflers and bends. Crush bent and the weird accordion bent curves restrict flow much more than mandrel bent curves. Mufflers that are loud flow better than quiet ones, generally speaking.

Once I cut out a rusted section of crush bent pipe and welded in a mandrel bent piece in a pos jaguar. Just that one change made it perform noticeably better.

A guy I worked with was telling me about how he removed the muffler and installed a megaphone in it’s place. I couldn’t imagine, it must have been stupidly loud. He said he would constantly get tickets for excessive noise.

If I were serious about wanting a good exhaust system I’d have a stainless custom cat back made with a vband connection for the muffler and all mandrel bent curves. If I don’t like the muffler sound, it’s simple to unbolt it and replace with a different muffler. If you can weld, you can do it yourself. Doing it up on a lift is far easier of course. Having molten metal land in your ear when your body is crammed under a car is NO FUN.

18. Dec 2, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    greasy taco

greasy taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD sport DCLB 4x4
    3" Bilstein 32" tires
    TRD cat back on mine a week after a I bought it! It's the perfect amount of growl for a stock truck. Anything more and your asking for a ticket and a lot of headache!

19. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    I don’t think that’s the TRD exhaust pictured on that truck. There’s no fancy TRD tip.

Regardless, the list price at the dealer for the TRd exhaust is $595, so if you got it for $100 that’s quite an incredible deal. You should have posted a tread when they were in stock…:)

20. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    fourfourone

fourfourone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD sport(sold) 2023 Tacoma
    My TRD exhaust sounds great. Nice and throaty down low. Sounds great when wheeling and accelerating. Quiet on the highway.

Any of the louder exhausts I've heard sound like ass. They lose that good tone and just become obnoxious. The 4.0 in general isn't the greatest sounding engine.

JstanTaco7[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top