1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to find the right path to become a LEO

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Airborne09, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    So currently I am in the Army, with about a year an a half left in my contract. I'm trying to decide if I want to get out and become a LEO or stay in... I love the Army don't get me wrong, just some recent events have started to sway my mind...
    I have a completely clean record, not even a parking ticket.

I want to get out and become some time of federal LEO, ie. FBI, CIA, Secret Service, Marshal, that kinda thing.. Looking into those a little deeper and I discovered that I need a Bachelors degree for most of them, and well I only have my Associates.
    So what I've been thinking about is getting out and joining the sheriff's dept. back home, but I'm more leaning towards OSP (Oregon State Police.) From what I've read, OSP is really military friendly and allows you to go to college for the first year or so on the force to do some college. Which that would help me complete my bachelors.
    What I am thinking is that I will join OSP, and then after a few years under my belt, drop an application for one of the fed jobs.
    That's what I have in mind right now, just wondering if any of you have any advice to put in on it. If its the right path to take for what I wanna do, or just anything you have to say would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    M202Flash

M202Flash Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DCSB
    Diff breather mod/JP Metal Fab Tie Downs/Plasti-dip front valance/Famous Fabrication Sliders/Illumination Supply LED Spotlights w/ Relentless Hood Hinge Light Mounts/Bora 1" Spacers/
    California Highway Patrol requires no degrees and you can probably start your application process when you have a year left prior to ETS. They are military friendly and assignment locations range from desert to ocean to mountains, etc.

[​IMG]

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 3:24 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Most local, State L.E. agencies are military friendly. Already trained...Feds pay well but, it comes with a cost IMO. We had a couple of guys go secret service in our agency. Both of them came back in 2 years. We have had people go in the FBI and never come back (They were nerdy anyway)..lol. All depends on what kinda cop you want to be. You want to get into stuff and have fun, stay on the local,S/O side. You want to stay in your office and keep your gun in a desk, Make a crap ton money and great benefits, go fed...It's a toss up..

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    That actually helps a lot, believe it or not. I don't wanna get stuck behind a desk, I'm the kinda guy to go out and get my hands dirty so local sounds like the way to go for me.

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    I'm not sure of their hiring requirements, but look into the Bureau of Land Management LE ranger program. They make considerably more money than we do, get amazing assignments, and go through FLETC (we are a state, POST certified agency). Once you get your FLETC certificate, you could lateral into other federal agencies.

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    k9cop

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    That actually sounds cool. dunno bout the boredom factor though. But I know guys that started with the feds as air marshals and have gone on to ATF and stuff. So moving around w/ the feds is a reality. However, stick with local or SO. much more fun. IMO. But then again I have only worked with feds and never for them..

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    It all depends on what you want to do. Marshals, DEA, etc. they're out there getting their hands dirty. FBI, I understand, is focusing on white collar with a more collegiate atmosphere. They are, however, investigating bank robberies, kidnappings, etc.

You've got time, make the most of it do decide what you want to do. Do some research. See if you have any connections to anyone inside the agencies you might be interested.

I would also take advantage of the military education incentive. If you can get a 4-year degree, do it. Some agencies don't require it, but many will at least pay you better for having it. Having more education will never hurt you. Having too little, well...

Finally, a freebie: if you enjoy the military, don't be in a hurry to leave.

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    What boredom? One of the guys I know is assigned out here to the desert. Once the busy season is over (mid summer) he gets a special assignment to hike around in the back country of Alaska and count caribou for weeks on end, nothing but him and his dog and mother nature.

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    k9cop

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    cool

10. Jun 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    I also know a few guys that left local PD's to go to ICE, Air Marshals, ect. then quit and came back to uniformed patrol. I'd join a local PD or Sheriffs Dept. and do a few years, get your feet wet, learn as much as you can. I believe you can be as old as 37 and still go federal if that's what you want. Get your foot it the door somewhere. And as stated, most if not all PD's are military friendly.

To Top