1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to learn more about rear lifts (Questions)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CanisLupus, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^That makes sense.

2. May 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus [OP] Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    Question for any running a U-Bolt Flip Kit:

Do I have to relocate my rear shocks to use a U-Bolt Flip Kit? Judging by the below pictures, it looks like the shocks are still using the stock mounts. (Thanks to CalgaryRider for the pictures) It looks like all I would have to do to use a flip kit would be to take the stock U-Bolt system out, put in the flip kit and either put new bump stops or secure my stock bump stops back on top, correct? (How would I put the stock bumps back on by the way?)

[​IMG]

And my rear setup for comparison:

[​IMG]

Matt

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. May 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    for you as a second gen you do not need to relocate the rear shocks... IIRC only first gens have to relocate them

4. May 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    CanisLupus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    Can anyone else confirm this who has used, for example, the All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit?

Matt

5. May 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    Not much sence in getting the U-bolts out of the way if your shocks are still going to be in the way.

6. May 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    CanisLupus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    My only excuse for that would be that the shocks are tucked in closer to the wheel whereas the base for our stock U-Bolts are relatively far out from the wheel. Also, I cannot weld, I don't want to pay for relocation brackets, and don't want to pay a shop/friend to put those on. :anonymous:

This is mainly just for my personal knowledge, as I do not do any crazy offroading, at least not now.

Matt

7. May 25, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    fleming island,FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    I'm getting the ubolt flip kit installed with the same thoughts as you can't weld and I have the all pro standard springs so I needed a longer set of u bolts in the first place to run that spring pack

8. May 25, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Your girlfriend likes my member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 6-Speed
    KINGS | LR | OME Dakars | Bilstein | Wheeler's Superbumps | OCTaco brake lines | UWS | Level 8 MK6 | Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx | PrInSu
    No. This is incorrect on a second gen. There's a ton of people running the flip kit with shocks in stock location.

To answer more of your questions: Dakars come with front bushings factory installed. Some venders will install rear bushings some won't. You can get factory rubber bushings or poly ones from wheelers or toytec. Brake lines aren't a super important issue but might not be a bad idea. You will definitely need longer shocks. Timbrens are a good choice but comparing the cost, Wheeler's superbumps would be my choice.

Just cause I'm excited: I have Dakars on their way from DSM with longer U-bolts and N182 shocks, and Wheeler's poly bushings on the way as well. I will eventually install superbumps front and rear, but I'm not touching the brake lines until I worry cause they are a bitch from what I hear to change.

Hope all this helps!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  9. May 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    CanisLupus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    +1

Wow, thanks for the info! Those definitely answer pretty much all of my questions. I was thinking of doing the same as you with the brake lines, since I don't want to mess with them unless I really need to. I did hear that they allow for a little better braking, besides their other purpose of making sure the lines don't get tight when flexing. But with the choice of bump stops, shocks, and brake lines, this is why I'm researching 2-3 years ahead of when I want to buy all this stuff! ;)

Matt

10. May 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Your girlfriend likes my member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 6-Speed
    KINGS | LR | OME Dakars | Bilstein | Wheeler's Superbumps | OCTaco brake lines | UWS | Level 8 MK6 | Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx | PrInSu
    I've been searching for about a year and a half lol! I'm gonna make some custom bump stops because I can't justify the cost of them. I know some people who intall the flip kit drill and tap holes in the bolt plate and bolt down the bumps. (I haven't figured out what/how I'm gonna make my custom bumps yet).

Keep an eye on my build the next few weeks as I make the changes. I just got a new job so I won't be able to freely access a lift whenever I want to which sucks but I needed more money for mods haha

To Top