1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to obtain the same lift that I have now..

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SmogSUX, May 18, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    SmogSUX

SmogSUX [OP] No Money. No Love.

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Manual 2.7L 4x4
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    Bought my truck with blocks and spacers and the thing rides like a covered wagon. I don't even want to try to offroad the thing. The front has these 1.5" spacers:
    [​IMG]
    The rear has these 3" blocks:
    [​IMG]

I love the way the truck looks height wise and I want to upgrade to 32's once these 31x10.5's wear out.

Currently the truck sits:
    Front:
    Driver side-38.5" ground to top of fender. -9.25" top of tire to top of fender
    Passenger side-38.5" ground to top of fender. -9.5" top of tire to top of fender

Rear:
    Driver side-39" ground to top of fender. -9.5" top of tire to top of fender
    Passenger side-40"ground to top of fender. -10.5" top of tire to top of fender

I just had my wheeler's 5 pack leaf springs show up in the mail to replace my shitty stock leaf pack. Now even though the site says they will give 1.5" of lift in the rear (possibly more due to sagging stock leafs) I was looking at other member's trucks and it looks like they don't lift nearly enough. I'd like to figure the rear out ASAP and order the stuff I need before I install the new leaf pack to find that the rear of the truck is WAY lower than the front.

My question for the rear is:
    Am I going to need to add the AAL and a 1" shackle to retain a similar ride height? I really want to start off roading this rig, but want to make sure everything is setup to my liking first.

For the front I was going to go with the OME 881's and Nitro shocks, but again those don't look like they will give me enough lift to be the same or even 0.5" higher than my current spacer setup (to match the rear). For the front am I going to need to add a small spacer? I'm trying to do everything right the first time. (Hoping I don't have to spring the $1,000+ for a front coilover set then another $500 for UCA's...)

I saw wheelers offers a lift enhancer kit, but that installs on top of the strut plate, which seems like a bad idea to me..I will be ordering the trim packer, which will give minimal lift, but it's more for dealing with possible sag on one side vs the other.

Also I'm going to be ordering rear Nitro shocks to replace these beat up Ranchos I've got on the rear once money permits.

All the information I've posted is just my observations from lurking and looking at other member's trucks.

Picture of the current ride height:
    [​IMG]

2. May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Uglydog

Uglydog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    stock 4x4
    I just put my Wheelers on today, gained 1" over stock leafs, mine were sagging more than yours (I have a lumber rack on the truck). IMHO do an AAL now then if you need more a shackle would be easy to add later on.
    Your truck looks clean (no rust) under there, mine was the same and no trouble with nuts or bolts, spun off by hand once they were broke loose.

3. May 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    SmogSUX

SmogSUX [OP] No Money. No Love.

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Manual 2.7L 4x4
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    Talked to Dan and he convinced me that if I don't really plan on putting any heavy armor on the truck or towing or carrying heavy loads the AAL wouldn't be worth the ride quality I'd sacrifice. I ended up just ordering the 1" shackles...was gonna go 2", but I hate how the trucks look when you can see the shackles hanging out under the bed.

Hopefully this will keep the height I have now or at the very least lower it a tiny bit.

To Top