1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB for Clutch pedal Squeak/Creak 2005-14

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rambone71, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dec 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Did you remove that bolt? What was the vise grips for?

scottalot and bluezzy[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Dec 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    I fixed my clutch pedal problems permanently...

Beck Arnley alloy master cylinder, FJ cruiser steel clutch pedal with clevis (modified) , linear spring, stainless braided clutch flex line.

No more noise, easier throw, no more master cylinder sticking to the floor when it's cold, and the clutch throw itself is significantly reduced, I can use the clutch and keep my heel on the floor the whole time.20171212_030835.jpg

3. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:08 AM
    bluezzy

bluezzy Love My SuperCharged 07 Sport!

Member:
    First Name:
    Monty
    Eugene, Oregon
    the vice grips was so I could turn the shaft without removing it.

scottalot likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    I had to revisit mine about a month ago. I hosed down the pivot point again and did the thing Bluezzzy suggested to. It's quiet now. We'll see how it lasts but I think it's better than last time.

scottalot likes this.
  5. Jan 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Wish there was a "How to" on what you did. My pedal has been quiet lately....I thought all my grease did not work, but few days later it's quiet and probably because it's been colder.

scottalot likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    I'd be happy to share what I know if you have any questions.

7. Jan 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    I only do minor maintenance on my vehicles as I don't wrench much other than change the oil, spark plugs etc. I have seen family members change out the clutch and such, but I never did the FJ clutch pedal swap so I don't know how much is involved. I got that you changed out master cylinder too, but photos or video would go a long ways whether I would want to do this myself or have it done.

8. Jan 13, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    The pedal took some heavy modification to make work, lot's of cutting welding and tweaking angles and arms on the pedal body. This may have been because I am still using a Tacoma MC when the FJ MC is slightly different, I did not realize this at the time, in the future I'd like to buy a FJ MC and compare it to the Taco MC. I know they have a different attachment point to the pedal. The taco used that lame squeeky ball and cup and the FJ uses a clevis. I made a small clevis I had in my garage and welded a tab onto the FJ pedal to make it all work.

Again I still have a Tacoma specific master cylinder, it just isn't OE, it's a Beck-Arnley from Amazon. I got it because it is aluminium vs the plastic OE one. The plastic one is too susceptible to cold weather and swelling when hot, this leads to a vague clutch feel and potential bypass of fluid around the piston seal. The ball and cup coming apart is what allows the MC rod to get stuck on the bottom while the coil spring returns the pedal body to the up position.

So I have basically a custom pedal, a Tacoma MC with a clevis on the rod and an aluminium master cylinder.

Hope that helps, I can get pictures tomorrow.

scottalot likes this.
  9. Jan 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Thanks for the reply, but too much custom work when I don't have the tools to do it. I know how to weld from welding class, but no tools to do what you did. If it was just stock replace items then would be more manageable. If the FJ master clutch cylinder was a drop in replacement then yeah...would be interested in doing it. Just wish Toyota didn't do this lame plastic clutch parts.

Interesting, but too big of a project for what I got going on right now...thanks again.

Key-Rei[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:

Once I get settled into my new place I'm going to order an FJ MC and see if the angle is any different with the mounting holes etc, may order another FJ pedal too, it was only like $30 IIRC. I'll update here if it works out without all the custom fitting.

imom[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Tomly

Tomly New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport TRD, Access cab, 4X4, 6 speed manual trans, & Tow Package
    There is a free tsb out now where the pedal assembly, master, and hose is replaced (there is new part numbers with it). Just had it done to my 2017, now let's see what happens. The tsb has been out since 2005. Also you have to say there is a squeak or groan in the clutch pedal. It is still tsb 0186-12, it now covers 2005 to 2018 according to the dealer.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. Aug 23, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    Tomly

Tomly New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I was told the repair is free and it is a different assembly

13. Aug 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Your first post implies this is a new TSB (as opposed to TSB 0186-12). Assuming that's the case, what's the number?

14. Aug 23, 2018 at 10:16 AM
    Tomly

Tomly New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    It is tsb 0186-12. It was just completed on my Tacoma and was told it is a free repair to all Tacomas, 2005 and newer. You also have to say there is a squeak or groan in the clutch pedal to get the full repair. My question is why is the master cylinder and hose included?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  15. Aug 24, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    Krogen

Krogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puget Sound
    Vehicle:
    14 AC V6 6sp 4x4 Off-Road
    I had it done on my '14 about a year after purchase. It reduced the squawk quite a bit, but the pedal still creaks if you don't keep it greased up. Two separate causes of the noise; they only fix one.

What amazes me is that this has been going on since 2005 and they know how to fix it with different parts. Why on earth didn't they put the different parts into production vehicles 10 years ago? Probably $$, but it's hard to believe a production change would have cost Toyota more than than however many TSBs they've done.

16. Aug 24, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    My master cylinder has been leaking for about a week now.. any idea if this TSB might be worth pursuing? I have a squeaky pedal as well, and would rather have them fix it if its free:D

17. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I guess Im most curious to know whether they will try to deny me the tsb since mine is leaking. I also have the push rod greased up so it doesn't make noise at the moment, but normally it does.. Any advice? I was thinking maybe clean out as much grease as possible to get it to squeak

18. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Haha well got my answer.. They said my truck isn't covered and quoted me $921 to have it done. No thanks, i'll order the parts for $300 and do it myself. Fuckin stealerships :luvya:

19. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    What did you have to do to get the FJC steel pedal to work?

20. Feb 22, 2022 at 6:25 PM
    Jacked Burton

Jacked Burton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    35s 4.30s 6speed TruTrac Fx Pros Bilstiens Dakars
    Tires: 35/11.5/17 Toyo AT3s Wheels: FN FX Pro Gunmetal 17s with TRD center caps Zinc Metallic lettering. Yukon 4.30 gears with TruTrac Front Suspension: OME 887 w/5100s, Freedom Offroad UCAs n Superbumps Rear: Archive Hammer Hangers,Dakar Mediums, Bilstien 5125s Ubolt flip n Superbumps, Headlights: Selfmade Retrofits URD shortshift kit Airaid CAI No name throttle controller
    Bookmarked

Products Discussed in

To Top