1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB For Soft Springs AND Noisy Springs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^ Does it seem funny to you that the 4Runner Trail Edition stickers for $44K in Canada? That's a $9000 price difference!

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My 2009 DCLB Sport 4x4 without the heated leather seats was $42K and the Canadian dollar was at about 92 cents USD at the time

3. Oct 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I'm talking pre-tax. According to Toyota.ca that should be $35K for 2012, or $41K OTD. The 4Runner Trail is $51K OTD in BC. The Lexus RX350 is about the same price!

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yup , expensive

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    im sorry what planet are you from?

the mean salary for a lockheed engineer designing the $230million F22 is low 6 figures. the starting salary to actually build it is just over 40k.

so youre telling me, a top secret state of the art fighter aircraft engineers position pays less than to design a truck? why the hell arent all our engineers flocking to japan to make millions??

do any of you have the slightest clue as to how much money it takes to make even a single design change in a CURRENT model? its staggering in comparison to creating a tsb and having a vendor create say... a new leaf pack.. or $60 plastic discs. they save money, and the squeaky leaf gets the oil.

stop crying. its a truck. does bmw make a pickup? how about infinity?
    you dont like your truck, sell it and find another hobby. apparently youre a sucker for punishment though.. what was that.. 5 toyotas? man.. and youre criticizing someone ELSE?

6. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Or Mexico.

And I believe you - but they better start showing it in their products. Their designs and quality have been on a downhill slide ever since 2005 or so.

They still have many great Toyota attributes - easy to work on, long lived, good fit and finish from factory - but other things have gone by the wayside. The Toyotas of the past, for example, would never have had problems like rear-differential breakage issues. They were better engineered and less bean-counted.

Maybe I'm just a little too nostalgic in general, but I preferred when they made trucks to be trucks and cars to be cars. Now, they make cars to be cars and trucks to be cars. And it kind of sucks.

7. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I agree

8. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    FWIW I agree with Tech about the noises. Trucks have noises. I have the brake click, *used* to have a driveshaft clunk before clamping my springs (which will soon be replaced with Dakars and a traction bar) to stop the axle wrap. There's a lot of wind noise because it's a boxy, tall vehicle I added vent shades to. The MTs also groan a bit, especially at low to medium speeds.

Some of these issues I created myself. Some of them are endemic to the vehicle type. None of them are really deal breakers for what I want the vehicle to do (chew up tough work and spit it back out). The diff issue *is*, for sure. Simply put, this is too much truck for such a small ring and pinion setup. The 1st gens had the 8" rears. Considering how much the 2nd gen was upsized, why weren't the differentials as well?

God knows they took a V8 tranny to stick behind their burly new 6 cylinder and mated it to probably the strongest transfer case they've ever made...I guess the pennies had to be pinched somewhere and they had a bunch of extra e-locker axles laying around.

The little cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me. But I want my truck to be like the Toyotas of old in that it will always get me home, and the diff issue (and sticky actuator issues) give me pause.

9. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    thats petty much what i have been trying to say all day, guess some people just need it put a little more blunt than others, well put sir!

10. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    my exteneded warrenty wouldnt cover my failed rear springs because of the tsb out

11. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    not sure i follow? We have extended warranty companies jump on the TSB's cause its an easy way for them to tell us what its supposed to pay, so they can pay as little as possible. I have seen some go for it no problem, and others argue that its not a "failure", just an updated part.

As previously stated, its up to them in the end. I am def not a fan of extended warranty companies cause there are so few out there that wont put up a fight to get work done.

12. Feb 17, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    spir22

spir22 Member

Member:
    Fort-Coulonge Qc,
    Vehicle:
    Tocoma TRD off road
    I have a 2008 trd offroad and had the same issue with my back springs, I went in the garage 4 times bfr they could make it better, and for how long.
    customer service even told me that I needed to install a better set of springs or to add a layers, that is after my warranty was done lol, i was still able to get to fix it for free but guess what, I didnt get was custonmer service said, they just put more shims bettwen the blades.

How does work when Toyota decide to do a recall on certain parts?

Products Discussed in

To Top