1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB for T/O Bearing Issue:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roxspin72, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    SnoBoarder

SnoBoarder Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    85 4Runner - Built not Bought
    Check this out if you haven't already seen it... this is exactly what I wanted to do the first time around. I found this over with the FJ guys, awesome find. This would be an excellent TSB candidate. It doesn't change the push pivot design, but it appears to be a proven kit.

Here's the company link, and some of their pictures...
    http://www.pdmtsk.com/home.html

I emailed them and offered to send them my older scored '05 RA60F bell housing to make me a kit. The difficulty may be finding a substitute release bearing, or difficulty trying to modify one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I still can't believe Toyota ever thought using an aluminum shaft was a good idea :confused:

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Black
    hhhmmm - this blows. Leaky door seal (I think - I know the passenger floor fills with water at times), squeeky blower, squeeky TO bearing...what's next?

4. Mar 24, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Plinkerton

Plinkerton Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    subscribed.

My 05 Prerunner 6spd has this problem too.

77,000 miles.

5. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    AEM Brute Force intake, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, URD short-throw shifter
    Also subscribed.
    2006 TRD Offroad, 6 speed. Same issue.
    43K miles

Talked to the dealer about it, they said they'd never heard of this, and that the TOB wouldn't be covered anyway.
    How they could have possibly NOT heard of this is beyond me.

6. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    cudason

cudason Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
    Dealers are full of shit. Particularly toyota dealers at the moment. This should be covered under warranty, because its pilot shaft/ bell housing issue that causes the t/o bearing to make noise. i can't believe these clowns haven't done anything about this. someones gotta get this out there, and get media attention drawn to this. my faith in toyota has been shaken and i likely won't buy one again. i'm beginning to get the feeling that i'm dealing with a volkswagen dealer...

7. Mar 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    AEM Brute Force intake, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, URD short-throw shifter
    I just got off the phone with the dealer.
    They again, repeated that they've never heard of this issue.
    I asked them to check and see if they could find a TSB for it, and I reinforced the fact this this has been an issue for Tacoma owners since 2005 at least.

They wouldn't tell me whether a TSB exists or not, but they scheduled an appointment for next week.

Of course, now the game becomes, will it make the noise when I get it to the dealership...

8. Mar 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    If youre having the tob issue, it wont go away. It'll be there until the bearing is replaced.

9. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    how much damage can running it while it's squeeking cause? For those who have changed theirs how long until the squeek came back?

10. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    A bad tob shouldnt cause any additional damage. Just annoying.

11. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. So the bearing "wiggling" on the shaft won't gauge the bell housing making it harder for future replacement of the bearing to stop the squeeking?

12. Apr 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    71roadrunner

71roadrunner Active Member

Member:

The bad throwout bearing is basically making a mess out of the pilot shaft it rides on. The pilot shaft is aluminum and is one piece with the bell housing. That's why this T.O. bearing crap sucks so much. In most cases, by the time you hear the noise, damage is already being done. Most of the FJ guys never get this thing right until the bellhousing is also replaced. And then a lot of times is still isn't right. And they have to have it done again. It's a friggin' stupid situation and the result of Toyota letting some German outfit design and manufacture the tranny assembly. I have an FJ with stick shift and am holding my breath waiting for this crap to start. :mad:

13. Apr 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Apologies for my terminology. I figured it was somehow making a mess - so basically since mine squeeks I need to replace the bell housing...I'll be phoning Toyota Canada and making a case for them to cover it under the extended warranty. If not then time to sell it after only 4 months of ownership...

14. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'll be taking mine to the dealership tomorrow morning to get this looked at (despite the fact that they've said time and time again they have never heard of this issue).

If anyone has any more information to help me make my case, I'd appreciate it.
    Email: bctune33@gmail.com

15. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Subbed. This definitely sucks :(

16. Apr 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'm in the same boat - I went to a dealership and they 'checked' if it was covered under my extended warranty and of course it wasn't. So I phoned Toyota Canada and they were less than helpful. Basically told me to go %%%& myself. Called the dealership again and they said they warranty the part that is changed ONLY if you purchase it from them (of course they install it as well) - so if the pilot shaft is messed when it goes again then they won't fix the root cause...

Seriously considering selling it and getting a 00-04. Apologies for the rant - very frustrated with the truck so far.

17. Apr 9, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    I've been holding out for a solution to this, and mine is getting worse with time. Now I can hear it in even at highway speeds bouncing off cars or jersey barriers.
    So theres a lot of jibber jabber in this thread. As I understand, there still isn't any way to fix this as of now right? (besides maybe convincing the dealership to put the same faulty system in)
    Thanks

18. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers

Anyone else care to explain if the TOB issue actually causes knotchy shifting from 1st to 2nd? I have the notchy shifting issue, but NO sqeak (2009 AC 6spd 4x4 sr5...15K miles)

19. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    jamfred774

jamfred774 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Denver CO
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4wd
    4wd Illumination, Sockmonkey Bedside Decals, Extra Bed D Rings, Diff Breather Mod
    Mine does not squeak but it does make a noise that goes away when the peddle is pushed in. It is more of a constant whine/moan. You guys think I should take it in? Unfortunately I have a little over 68k on it so I am out of warranty. The dealer I took it to has always been helpful when it came to warranty stuff so it might be worth a shot.

20. Apr 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Update: After the third trip to the dealership about this, they agreed to replace the TOB (under warranty, no less).
    They said everything else appeared to be in working order, but I was not allowed in the garage when they had it apart (not that I would have known what I was looking at anyway).

Hopefully, this resolves the issue, though I am fairly certain that it will return eventually.
    Good luck to everyone else who's going through this. Persistence seems to be the only way to get it taken care of.

Products Discussed in

To Top