1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB for T/O Bearing Issue:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roxspin72, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    I just did the pdm kit on the 1st. So far so good. Anyone need any help let me know.

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    mattsheets

mattsheets Member

Member:
    northeast ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 4x4
    murdered taillights, 3 inch toytec, 31" all terrains, full tint
    i got a 5 speed and im dealing with these same issues in my 4 cyl. think its the same thing????

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 [OP] Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    When you did the install, would you say that this is as easy as one extra step during a Clutch & Flywheel install, or is there more to it? Im trying to figure out cost of install.

Thanks.

4. Jul 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i think i'm going to file a complaint w/NHSTA .. you just have to call a number.. looks like a lot of people are having this problem. 05+ 6spd tacos and 05+ 6spd FJ's..

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Wondering on the procedure to install myself as well. I dont have warranty anymore.

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    So I've seen a million of these threads talking about the squeak and the kit that is supposed to fix the problem. But I have not seen a post from anyone who's TOB has actually bit the dust. Does this just continue to get louder and louder til it's finally just a loose piece of metal rattling around a spinning shaft? Has anyone actually had this fall apart and destroy their clutch? I really want to know what the end result is if you do not replace it.

MY 2007 with 25K on it has a severe chirp when it's rolling at low speeds through parking lots and such. I took it to the dealership and they admitted to hearing the problem but would not attribute it to one particular thing. When I made a comment about my buddy having the same problem on his truck the service advisor had clearly been trained in Toyota Poker Face skills as he showed no sign of concern or agreement regarding any knowledge of this problem. They did say they measured the pilot shaft and there was no reason to believe it was out of tolerance.

I'm seriously considering trading this truck in before I lose any more money on it. Thinking about an automatic FJ. I haven't heard too many horror stories about the 4.0 Automatic set up in the FJ's or Tacomas. Maybe that's the best way to go.

7. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 [OP] Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I had it done while installing my stage III clutch and Flywheel.

I was over at the dealership today, and had the opportunity to talk to the senior mechanic, we talked for about a half hour. Straight up guy. He informed me that toyota will be coming out with a new bell housing. He stated that the reason they have been replacing complete transmissions was because of a special tool that was not available to them. Well, toyota came out with a new bell housing and tool which will be followed by a TSB. No dates just FYI.

However I told him that I was coming up on the last leg of my warranty and opted for the PDM kit, and he stated that that was a smart choice and actually was happy to know about the PDM kit because he could recommend it to customers with no warranty, and it seems Toyota will have no problem installing the kit... Well this mechanic wont, hopefully other dealerships wont be so Anal. He stated that the bell housing aluminum design was retarded and felt that the PDM was a bullet proof fix pending the opportunity of getting the new design and its performance capability.

Tell you what, a half hour with this guy made me feel like someone knows WTF is going on and there is still hope for Toyota in general, LOL.. But yeah, I found my new Mechanic, warranty or not:cool:

8. Sep 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Clipper

Clipper Western Alliance: Sierra's

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco 4X4
    Finally some movement. I took my truck in for the 3rd time 2 weeks ago for the T/O Bearing squeal and the finally recognized the issue. Got my truck back 2 days ago with a new bell housing fully covered by Toyota. I have talked to 5 or 6 different service agents in the past year about the issue and no one admitted it. But finally found one that did. Then I took one of the head mechanics for a drive and he had confirmed the issue. Saying he had replaced a few T/O's in the past few months, one of which was on an fj and that the bearing went out 3 times before they finally got him a new bell housing. Now I’m just preying that they have fixed the issue in the new bell housing so I don’t have to go back in a few months to a year.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    RU55ELL

RU55ELL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    ETX
    Do you have a part number for the bellhousing on your invoice?

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    are you still under warranty? i'm out of warranty and am looking for a cure..

11. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    Still no TSB. (as of September 8th, 2010) There are over 130 TSB on our truck and this one is not one of them. I went through all of them with the service manager at my local dealer. I just got back from there and they are replacing everything except the transmission it self. I had the squeak since about 20K now I am at 51K and I had enough. My 1990 Jeep wrangler transmission sounds better. This whole bearing thing is starting to annoy me. Let's go Toyota do something about it. Thanks.

12. Sep 8, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Hey for all you who had this fixed by the stealership did they give you the ol' "if it ends up that whats wrong is something that is not under warranty or covered by a tsb your paying for it" speech?

I just got that and am waiting to speak with the mechanic to get a better idea of what he thinks is wrong.

Just wondered if it was standard to hear this speech.

13. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    My dealer was really cool. I am at 51K and they gave me no speech. I am waiting for the parts to come in and then I am going to have it fixed.

14. Sep 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Just picked mine up. The regional rep drove it this morning. They are ordering a clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. No mention of a bellhousing at this point. Covered under warranty with 50K on the truck. Got my fingers crossed.

15. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    im at 50000 too. told me today that they were replacing the bell housing and clutch assembly all under warranty :)

16. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like they want to fix yours the first time. Wish I could convince them to fix mine in one shot.:rolleyes:

17. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    hahah i know lucky right. i'm not saying i prayed....i'm just saying i prayed :):pray:

18. Sep 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    RU55ELL

RU55ELL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    ETX
    EDIT, never mind, it's all one piece. Does anyone have the kit to take some measurements for me?

19. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    I just dropped my truck off at the stealership this morning. They mentioned that others have come in with the same problem. They fixed it but it was temporary, came back months later with the same problem. They are going to look at my tuck and check with Toyota on any updates and fixes. As of now he did not see a TSB but Toyota may have a fix. He heard that Nov. or Dec. Toyota was going to send them information on it.

As a side note the service rep was sure to tell me about the acceleration problem. I opted to decline them installing the program, cutting the pedal and replacing the floor mat.

I will keep you updatated on my experience.

20. Nov 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    m4dm4x

m4dm4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja Taco
    I will be watching this thread please let us know how you make out.

Products Discussed in

To Top