1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB rear leaf problems!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blackwidow2009, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Apr 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you
    I have a 2009 access cab, 4X4, TRD, SR5

My truck came stock with the 3 leaf pack...2 leafs "smiling" and 1 leaf "frouning".

In September of 2009 (7 months ago) I added the AAL's (add-a-leaf's)

A couple months ago, I found out about the TSB on the rear leaf's. I called "mother Toyota", they sent it on over to the Toyota dealership here in Cleveland.

I then talked to the service manager. 1st I called him and left a voice mail explaining the problem. After 2 or 3 voice mails I talked to him directly on the phone; and again; explained everything in detail. Called him again at least once with a voice mail to set up a time and date to bring it in, so they can look at it. Then spoke with him on the phone and got the time and day to bring it in to be looked at...not to have the work done, just so they can confirm that I have the leaf pack that needs to be replaced.

So, the count so far is at least 5 times (possibly as much as 7times) that I have talked with the service manager!

What I told him was, that I needed the TSB done AND I need the AAL installed as well!!! EVERY TIME I talked to him there was never a problem with doing that!!!

When I took it in for them to "look" at, again I said the AAL needs to be installed as well! And yesturday, when I took it in for the work to actually be done, I said AGAIN the AAL needs to be installed!!! I even showed them which leaf was the ALL and saw the service guy write it on the paperwork AND even highlighted it!!! Now mind you, I am waiting there at the dealership for the work to be done, I have not left.

So the count now it at least 7 times, possiblely 9 or even more, that I told them the AAL needed to be installed with the TSB!!!

After about 30 minutes they call me to come to the service dept. I was told that they need to send it to 4 WHEEL PARTS; there is one here in Cleveland about 1.5 miles down the street from the dealership, because of the AAL, and that they need to do it. Fine, still no cost to me. They give me a car for over night.

Today, I pick my truck up and visually something is WRONG!!!

They did the TSB, but never put the AAL back on!!!!

I talk to the sevice manager, who tells me, he talked to the tech, and the felt that the AAL's were not needed!!! What the fuck!?!?!? I reminded him that I had told him over and over again the I NEEDED them in there.

He said they both he and the tech feel that the factory TSB leaf replacement was better then the old 3 pack.

I said yes, but I turned the old 3 pack into a 4 pack with the AAL; and why in the hell would I swap a 4 leaf pack for a 4 leaf pack...they are the same!!!

He said the factory are better.

I said then why is my truck LOWER then what is was??? Lower means it's not holding the weight as good!!! (I'll come back to this)

Finally he says for me to take it to 4 Wheel Parts and have them add the leaf back in and they will take care of the bill. So I drive down the street and explain that my truck was there via the dealership. They say no it was'nt...they have not had a Tacoma in there in a couple weeks.

OooKAaayyyy???

So, now I'm calling the sevice manager again to fine out what is going on and why I was told that they (the dealership) needed to take it there to have them do it because of the AAL.

I'm told that they did not take it there because they decided that I did not need the AAL. And this is where I am so pissed off about it. I expained to them at length that I need the AAL put in the new leaf pack; they said no problem; and then they decided for me that I did not need them with out even talking to me, when I was even there at the dealership!!!

Humm!

He reiterates again to me that the AAL's are not needed. I told him that yes they are. I use my truck as a truck, and when I put stuff in the back, it has weight, and I can not be bottoming out!

I continued to tell him that in my short little ride to 4 Wheel Parts, the truck feels soft and more "plush" like a Cadillac.

He says that that the truck should be more stiff then the old leaf pack.

I had to explain to him, which he should have figured out on his own, that the factoy 4 leaf pack would be stiffer and taller then the factory 3 leaf pack; but that I turn the old factory 3 leaf pack into a 4 leaf pack with the AAL. AND that the factory 4 leaf pack is not as strong as the old 3 leaf pack with the AAL.

It ended with, 4 Wheel Parts is doing the work next Thursday and sending the bill directly to the dealership.

OK, so here are the facts and measurments:

The AAL I have is a DAYSTAR from 4 Wheel Parts

Stock 3 leaf pack NO cap on the truck:
    Bottom of wheel well opening to center of hub..............21.5 "
    Stock 3 leaf pack WITH cap on the truck:
    Bottom of wheel well opening to center of hub..............N/A
    Stock 3 leaf pack WITH AAL and cap on the truck:
    Bottom of wheel well opening to center of hub..............23.25 "
    NEW Factory 4 leaf pack WITHOUT the AAL but cap is on truck:
    Bottom of wheel well opening to center of hub..............22.0 "

So, the NEW factory leaf pack did infact add strength and hight to the rear...a 1/2 inch gain with the added weight of a fiberglass cap. (NOTE: the cap is from my old 2000 Tacoma, so it is a little narrow and maybe a little lighter then one for the second gen.s)

HOWEVER: the new factory 4 leaf pack is LESS strong and lower then the old 3 pack with an AAL. My truck now sits 1.25 " lower!!! And yes the ride is softer with the new factory pack then the old one with the AAL's. The AAL's are deffinatly better then the new factory leaf pack.

I will measure it again once the AAL get added to the new 4 leaf Pack.

But for everyone who had questions about which is better or what you should do...there are the figures. Hope they help you. :) You may not need a 5 leaf pack like me, but I thought everyone should know the difference between a AAL 4 leaf pack and a factory 4 leaf pack. As well as the bullshit they tryed on me.

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    BS they tried on you...you had an aal, you didnt need the 4 pack, this sound more like BS on your part. they did exactly what the TSB calls for - intsll the OEM 4 leaf pack. if you want to add the AAL, drive down to 4WP and have them install it. if you were concerned that much w/ using your truck as a work truck, you would have gone OME anyways, so...

3. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's not their job to install your aftermarket parts again for free. Those 4 packs from Toyota come assembled- It's extra work for them to open them up and add your stuff. They shouldn't have told you it was no issue- but it's not their job.

You had a perfectly acceptable response to the issues the TSB addressed but yet you decided to push for more. You are lucky they didn't tell you to pack sand because you had modified the suspension.

I would take what you have gotten and get over it.

FWIW- There is no direct correlation to height and strength. You can make a crappy mono leaf that is SUPER high and can't hold cargo for anything. Or a huge thick leaf pack that is stock height.

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Ok, I'm confused... did you want them to install the TSB 4 leaf pack PLUS your extra AAL?

The TSB only covers them replacing the 3 leaf pack with the four leaf pack. When I had the tsb done, it raised my back end over an inch.

Sorry you aren't happy with the work they did.

5. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Of my truck you knucklehead :p

6. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah it sounds like the customer is the problem here, nit the dealer. I give the dealer credit for even agreeing to perform the tsb on a truck with modified suspension.

7. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    CorrectionCop

CorrectionCop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off Road SR5 V6 access cab
    Locking differential,TSB 4 Leaf Spring, Bug deflector.
    Ditto "WTF" :confused:

8. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    :sadviolin:
    I'm sorry but you seem to have a reasonable dealership who didn't give you any hassle trying to get something fixed. Most of us aren't that lucky. I can't feel bad for you for not getting aftermarket item installed for free.

9. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    This!

My dealership would have told me to pound sand if I wanted after-market work performed at the same time a TSB is being done.

10. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    I may be mistaken but from what I belive, if you hat the 2"aal for the non tsb leaf pack it would not work with the tsb leaf pack anyways.

11. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Correct, a couple of companies make AAL's specifically for the TSB pack.

I also can't believe the dealer is gong to foot the bill for the 4wheel parts installing the leaf, when you asked to have work done that removes that leaf. You have an excellent dealer, so I wouldn't bitch about it.

12. Apr 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

yes...the ALL will work in the new and old pack per 4 Wheel Parts

13. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    ok, no offence (and I am being serious about that) but you may need to re-read my post...I know it's long and things can be missed...

1) It is not Bullshit on my part!!!
    2) Yes they did do what the TSB called for, they just did NOT do what WE talked about and THEY agreed to do!
    3)I do want the ALL; and I did drive down to 4 Wheel Parts last September to have them put on origanally befor knew about the TSB,and TODAY to schedual a time to have them put on AGAIN.
    4)And as I said twords the end of my original post...The OEM are NOT as good as the old/original 3 leaf pack with the AAL! I found out about the TSB and wanted to take advantage of it, with the AAL's, because I still was having issuse with the truck handleing loads. Like I said, I use the truck as a truck, and I haul weight in her!

I don't mean to sound pissy, but think about it, anyone would be upset if the agreed upon work to be done was not. Not to mention when someone "decides" something for you. I mean seriously, how would you or anyone else like it if someone told you what you need and don't need on your truck, even though you already said what you wanted. It's not their truck, it's yours. Not to mention, they told me several times that they would put the AAL's on with the new pack!

14. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, since you had an understanding, they should have done the work... hell you said he wrote it down and highlighted to install the AAL, then they just don't do it?

But, good on them for at least agreeing to do it for you... bad that they didn't. But, then they made it right after upping your blood pressure a bit. :)

15. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

1) fine, I am lucky that they said they were going to add Put the AAL in. But my point is this...If they would have told me about the TSB befor hand when I bought the truck, which is a fair expectation, I would have done it and then still added the AAL, which IS what I told the service manager about 2 months ago.

2) if you agree to do something, then do it! Technically and leagally speaking, in Ohio, the dealership made a contract with me. Verbal contracts are enforcable and need not be in writen form IF the they can be compleated in less then 12 months. We (the dealership and I)disscussed this 2 months befor I had the chance to bring it in. I told them I wanted and needed the AAL's put back on with the new 4-pack, and if they could not, I would not do the TSB. It maybe extra work for them to open the pack up, just like you said, but that is what they are getting payed to do. NO OFFENCE to ANY tech, but come-on, this is their job, to work on vehicles, and if they do not like having to open up a leaf pack and to install an AAL, then they should take that up with their boss/service manager and not the costomer. After all, it was their boss/service manager that agreed to do it.

3) I did not "push for more" I was clear...new 4-pack plus the AAL OR I stay with the 3-pack with the AAL. The dealership wanted their money from Mother Toyota to do the "warenty" work, so they agreed. It's that simple. There was no "pushing" on my part!

4) "There is no direct correlation to height and strength. You can make a crappy mono leaf that is SUPER high and can't hold cargo for anything. Or a huge thick leaf pack that is stock height" THIS IS TRUE However, from my driving today, I can tell you that the Toyota TSB 4-pack can not hold weight as well as the old one with the AAL. 1st. I have a "rolly-polly" fealing to the truck (unloaded, but with the cap on) It's not much, but it does not feel as sold as befor. 2nd. Just my weight getting in the bed (about 175lbs.) of the truck, the truck sagged more then with the old pack with the AAL. Now if my measilly 175lbs. pushes the bed down more then befor, then how is a load of dirt or fire wood not?

5) this is a question...."if it's not their job to install aftermarket parts again for free" So how does that work if someone has a grille guard/ram bar and they need to remove it so they can reach in under the hood??? Or for that matter what about bash plates under the truck...should someone get charged more money, or lets say in the case of warnety work, like some tranny work...should someone have to pay money because the tech need to remove the bash plates to get to the tranny...remember it's warenty work. I can see people saying "why should I have to pay...if they would have made the "part" right the first time".

Oh, the grill guard/ram bar...my 2000 had a warenty claim on the water pump...they had to remove the guard inorder to reach in under the hood. They told me about it, I never was charged.

16. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    Yes...new 4-pack plus the AAL.

I understand that the TSB only coveres replacing the 3 leaf pack. But that is what me and the service manager talked about...either I get the new pack plus the AAL put in as well, or I'll just stay with what I got because what's the point is swapping a 4-pack for a 4-pack. As it turns out the old 3-pack with the AAL (basically a 4-pack) was better at holding a load (see responce above this one) then the new factory one.

But thank you for being understanding. As I am finding out many on this site are not. My intention for writing that ridiculasly long post was partly to vent, partly to inform people to be warry if they have this work done and already have the AAL, and partly to let people know what the differences are in the leaf packs. Many have asked in posts, but there may not be many that have had all 3 to compaire.

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    Ok, now how in the hell is it my fault, when, THEY, THE DEALRERSHIP agreed to do it??? And then did not do it. If they agreed and then did not, how can that possibly be MY fault???

All they had to do was say "no", and there would be no issue, because I would not have had the TSB done!

18. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

I think alot of people reading this miss understood me.

I already had the AAL on the truck befor the TSB.

I asked the dealership if they did the TSB, would they put the AAL back on? They said YES.

If they would have said "no", I would have not gotten the TSB done.

All I was asking for, was them to not undo what I had already PAYED to have done.

19. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

AGAIN, I was not asking for the dealership to do aftermarket work for free....I was asking for them to not un-do what I have ALREADY payed to have done.

I am not looking for sympothy! (Read above responces to other "replys") I was not asking for something for free!!!!

I clearly stated my possition to them 2 months ago...Do what I want OR, there is no need for me to do the TSB. THEY AGREED TO DO IT AND THEN DID NOT!!!

20. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    This, I do not know, I'm not a Tech. But I was at 4 Wheel Parts today after the dealership, and they said they can put them back on. So I have to go off what they said.

Products Discussed in

To Top