1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSBs are not for owners as much as technicians

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2! I believe Toyota failed miserably! Most of the TSB's are what they should be, a way to diagnose and correct an issue that arises in certain vehicles. Toyota claimed that all Tacomas with similar option packages will tow/haul the same amount of weight when, in fact, they can not. If they listed the softer riding leafs as an option, that would be one thing, but they way they did it was BS and should have been a voluntary fix at the customers request, not prove you need this TSB and we'll decide if you actually do. The truck left the factory not being able to do what Toyota claimed it would...

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I disagree, the frame sitting on the axle with a little rubber bump stop in between is not 'handling the load'.

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
  4. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I agree

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    ^This is where I believe they failed., and why wouldn't Canadians like a soft ride too? I have never felt a Canadian's ass, but I bet they are as soft as ours! Oz, care to answer that?

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    According to you and a handful of others who are showing up at Toyota dealerships and demonstrating that and getting their issue resolved.
    for the vast majority, apparently, its not an issue at all. I think the ride with the TSB is a lot harder than without. This is not a cost decision Toyota made.

I am convinced it was a SALES and MARKETING decision.

Apparently Toyota marketing has determined whats best for Toyota sales based on solid research. Companies don't make these decisions without research. They have determined, again, and apparently rightfully so, as the Tacoma is the best selling small truck in the US that the RIDE matters more than "comfortable" load capacity. I really don't think that is so difficult to understand. Sales and Marketing 101. Produce what the majority wants.....

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    No, I understand its because of sales. That does not make it right.

8. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    It does if you own a business and know your customers and want to provide what THEY want AND you take care of those who have different expectations as well. I would say it's good business. They win with everyone.

9. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Again I understand the sales part of it. It shouldn't say it can handle weight that it really can't. Soft ride or not. That is what I think is a Fail. Your not secretly the CEO Toyota. You seem to really want to defend them. :cool:

10. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have been called a hardass in the past , but I think that had nothing to do with my actual ass .

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No I just understand business and how decisions are made. You believe you represent a majority of Tacoma buyers when in reality you represent a very small minority.

logically, Why would Toyota put 4 leafs in a truck that WILL ride harder (despite what people her claim who wanted it done for a lift) when the vast majority of their buyers want a car like ride with truck capabilities? They would LOSE sales. I would not buy a hard riding truck I used a few times a year for heavy loads. I think I am in the majority opinion there based on Tacoma sales and the fact that Toyota has seen fit not to include the 4th leaf for what? 4 years now?

The sales bear out the proof. No defense needed the data is clear. If people were passing on the Tacoma because it could not carry 1000lbs comfortably everyday Toyota would react to that. Few buy these trucks as work trucks in the US. I would say the F150 is the truck to buy if hauling was important and it IS the truck people who need a hauler WILL buy. Not even a Tundra. For many owners here the Toyota is just that...A fun Toy. not something you see routinely at construction sites.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm, the fact that your not actually sure makes me wonder now. Maybe that is why you guys get the 4 leaf pack.

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    I don't believe I represent anyone but myself. What I do know is I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. Also what I would think I know is that if more people knew about certain TSBs before they bought the truck, then that might change sales. I didn't know about the TSB untill after I bought the truck. You would also have no idea how it would handle a load untill after you owned the truck. Did you test drive it to somewhere to fill it with sand bags before you bought it? I didn't. Last time I checked also you can't return a vehicle changing sales stats if your not happy. Anyway, it is what it is. I thinks its a clear fail, and you don't.

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Then call it an engineering failure. If they claim it will haul a certain amount of weight, it should, regardless of the ride. Engineering's job was to make sure it would tow/haul a specific amount of weight and also not ride like a dump truck. Full size trucks ride smooth unloaded and handle weight just fine, why couldn't they find a way to do it with the Tacoma?
    I see your point and agree with you on all other TSBs, however you are incorrect with the leaf spring TSB. If you claim the truck will handle a specific amount of weight, and it blantently does not, then you have knowingly oversold the truck's true capabilities. The leaf spring TSB should not have been a TSB, it should have been an option and should have come with a revised cargo rating.

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No I did not test the load capacity before I bought it. That is not what i was looking for. I was looking for a reliable "car" that sat high with a truck bed....and found it. Used to be a 4 Runner was a Tacoma with rear seats and covered cargo area.

If I was concerned about that aspect and that was WHY I was buying a truck I would have researched it for THOSE indications and found out about the issues and decided from there. But I have to be honest here.If I was buying a truck to carry or tow heavy loads consistently I would NOT have chosen the Tacoma at all. despite the TSB or whether it came with 5 leafs or 3. I simply don't view the Tacoma as a heavy duty truck by any stretch. The plastic bed would have turned me away far before the spring issue.

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I call it smart business. They sell a truck to Americans who prefer a soft ride and the vast majority of them apparently don't routinely load up their beds and sell the most in the class.

They claim it will carry a specific load safely...it will and does ...they do NOT claim it will ride like a Caddilac in doing so.... Toyota knows people who want trucks that carry 1000lbs everyday don't buy Tacomas. They also know they will lose a lot of sales if they were to add that extra spring during test rides empty in the US. Something has indicated that to them.

Why don't they find a way to cover both? Simple.... They DON'T have to!! they sell the most trucks in their class by far. As long as the competition is weak they have nothing to do but sell sell sell. No need to work on an "issue" most don't have. Spend those resources pumping up the weaker selling Tundra

I suggest people who take issue with the springs vote with their wallets and see if Toyota does what they do in Canada..I doubt it because the issue is not an issue for the vast majority of owners.

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock

LoL. Your first post stated that you had vibration and glad there was a tsb. Then you go on calling out posers for trying to use the leaf tsb for free lift. You bought the truck and it had vibration. That's the way it is, you should not need a tsb.

The point is if Toyota made a claim to carry such weight. And it did not wouldn't that be a safety concern?

18. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If it were a safety concern it would be a recall. Your logic is a tad strange but I won't hold it against you......

I was glad there was a TSB to save time and know its not something serious I have to get to right away. Not to run to the dealership and demand they "fix" it. i will get it fixed when I take it in for an oil change in a few months. If they can duplicate it, it they will fix it. If not they won't. Either way its not serious. Just a little noise and some vibs between 15 and 25 MPH. If there wasn't a TSB I would not even bring it to their attention when I changed the oil! The TSB helps them figure it out and fix it and let me know it wasn't something serious.

TSBs are a good thing in that regard. but not to be used to beat the dealer over the head for something not needed for its intent,

If I drive into a dealership with a mower in the truck because most days there IS a mower or 1000lbs of bricks in the truck I am SURE they would do the TSB no questions asked. THAT is the INTENT of the TSB...not to lift the truck for aesthetic reasons.

19. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You are now spinning your point with the whole " if you haul you should not have bought a Tacoma " bullshit .

20. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    How would you know what Toyota "knows"? Have they ever tried to sell the 2nd Gen Tacoma with the 4 leaf pack? I don't know if the 1st gen came like that, but they are popular too. How would they know how it would sell with out trying it?

Products Discussed in

To Top