1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSBs are not for owners as much as technicians

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Shit, I'm bad at math I weigh an easy 300-400 lbs. My family all around the same. Would I be able to haul a 42 inch flat screen tv with out htting bump stops with 3 of my family members in tow?:D

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OK Kingfrog , whatever .

Is there a TSB I can use to get the portion of my life back I spent in this thread ?

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Nope..this may sound like a harsh ride, but you must take personal responsibility for your own actions....:D:D

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    IT DOES meet all claimed specifications!! It is legal. Toyota does not have to do anything to "fix" this. They do it as a service for the few who really need it. If it were a huge problem why have they been going on 4 years or more with the SAME TSB? Surely they would have "fixed" the issue by now IF it were indeed a huge issue and misleading specifications.

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Speak for yourself POSER, I haul a travel trailer & needed the TSB pack, I had the problem long before I discovered the TSB.

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DAMN YOU TOYOTA !!!!!!

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I agree on some of your points and don't wish to piss you off here. I was living with the sloppy feel in the steering shaft for almost a year wondering what it was or was it just me being "fussy". The discovery of a TSB on the issue, confirmed in my mind that I was really feeling a problem that should not be there. Sometimes I DO carry heavy things in my truck, Thats why I have a truck. I was noticing a "sag" in the ass end when empty, I didn't like it and only then found out about the TSB. Now I am happy with the ride and the stance. That is how it should be I think. The fact is that everything is NOT a TSB, only the common PROBLEMS people have been having. If I discover a potential issue that may not cause a problem today but maybe six month's from now could, why wouldn't I try to get it resolved, especially if it's one that Toyota admits is a flaw. So I will do my thing and you do yours, goodluck

8. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    True true but our GVWR is reduced on purpose. If GVWR was any higher then what is right now I won't be able to drive on Parkways.
    Also I want to point out that if you really haul (use truck as truck) leafs will deform to the point that truck will be riding on bump stops all the time. Heck drive that truck offroad with nothing in the bed and it will hit bumpstops. Those leafs are really too soft. That should have been a recall not a TSB.

9. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Sorry your poitn here is invalid, for past 20 years Toyota is making crappy paint job on the frame. You would think by now they would stop but look at new trucks still same ole crappy paint job.

Also is'nt your truck pre-runner. "POSER":D

10. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    The only RECALL I ever got was related to a safety issue. Performance issue's are TSB's and not a mandatory fix. They can and do elect to resolve them however. It's a P.R. thing.

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Not after few years, My 1gen had original Toyota springs and they were not sagged as badly as mine had become in just 3 years. And I was carrying full bed of sand in my 1gen truck few times a month in winter.
    (I miss my Red beast...:eek:)

You have no idea how hard is my driveway on my truck. Not all of us live in nice towns with nice roads and homes with paved driveway.

Thats Toyota problem not mine. If I am paying for a vehicle I dont want to see even flake of rust for atleast 3 years.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM

I will begin here,
    The fact you call yourself a super genius proves otherwise.

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    LoL. We have so many threads about people whining not getting tsbs or those who complain about posers. I love TW so informative. Isn't that what it should be?

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!

TSB is for all

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL I can't be "pissed off" here. Its a forum of ideas and opinion. People will disagree and be disagreeable. who cares?

I agree with how you approached the TSB. Thats what I have been saying. You have an issue. THEN you do some reserch on the forums and see if others had the same which HOPEFULLY leads to a TSB. You then can go to the dealer. Prove you have the issue and bring up the TSB to HELP them understand what is likely the cause. People are going to the dealers AFTER finding out about a TSB then creating that issue as if they had it all along. That is not the purpose of a TSB IMO.

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah sadly my truck is a lowly Pre Runner with the OR TRD Package ...as if that makes me anything more than someone with a base stock truck....It doesn't. LOL
    For me it was $20K 24K miles and a great value. I could have but chose not to pay over $28K for the same truck new. I personally don't see the value there.

Toyota is selling more trucks in this class to people like you who know what you know and STILL BUY THEM and pay top dollar some up to $30K!!!! So really, who is the greater fool? Anyone who believes they can go from the showroom to the desert and do much more than off road hunting trips is fooling themselves as well. This is not a Baja truck by any stretch of the imagination. But there are those who will insist it should.

18. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    UH no it IS YOUR problem..You continue to be a customer of such shoddy work and false advertising...Toyota has you gift wrapped to their showroom. THAT is why you don't see fixes you want. People like you keep buying the crap you claim it is. I see what you see and would NEVER buy this truck new. But used its a great value.
    There are still a lot of 1st gens out there.I would grab one if I felt as stong about them as you do...You may get one key to key!!!

19. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    So you have pre-runner TRD OR, by your own words that makes you double poser. And you bought truck with weakest differential :D

No not really my problem. Toyota will be replacing those frames anyway so I am gonna piggy back to get new frame :p

Just in case you missed I am original owner of 2007 (purchased in 2006) now if you can count figure out how many used 2gens were in 2006 :rolleyes:
    So first I did not knew about many problems I know now because truck was on the market for less then 2 years. Not enough to uncover all problems. Now knowing what I know now I would still buy the same truck over again. With the exception of rust issue I had no problems with it. It does 23 MPG and has 6ft bed. Tows 6000lb digger for me when I need to do yard work and brought countless bags of sand. It drives in worst snow storms and weather New England throws at it and this year did it on stock tires since I twisted my leg in Nov and could not swap rims.
    If I was on the market for new truck I would buy the same thing in heartbeat. New or used. Hands down its best truck money can buy. Is it perfect? Of course not. Rust is big issue but after doing all the painting it looks like my frame will outlast parts market. Springs, I did TSB so its better then it was but at some point truck will have different rear axle so it will need completely different set of springs anyway.
    You bought 2008 truck in 2010 and making a big deal out of it. You have 2wd truck. Thats not the deal. You want to talk about buying used cars. I bought my other truck for 1/5 of what you paid and I have solid axle with F/R lockers :D top that.

20. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You da man..... and I have a lowly Tacoma Rugged Trail Edition with a terrible TRD package and a rear locker I will never use and frankly could do without...Fender flares aren't even painted Waaaaaaa..:eek::eek::sadviolin:I bow to you oh great "wheelin man"...

There now.... feel better?

Products Discussed in

To Top