1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB's Out of Warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MINTaco, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    MINTaco

MINTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    DIY Block Heater, Weathertechs, A.R.E. Utility Topper, aFe Pro Dry S
    There's been alot of talk about TSB T-SB-0305-08 (Leaf Spring Issue) here and it's clear that this is covered ONLY under the 3 year / 36 month warranty.

My situation is this: bought a 2008 Access cab with 38,000 miles on it. I've had it 2 months and live in the Snow Zone of the Midwest. I put 180 lbs. of sand in the back for traction and now constantly hear the bed hitting the bump stops when I go over a small dip in the road or go over speed bumps.

So I am basically S.O.L. unless I want to spend the ± $1,500 to have the stealership do the mod, right?

As someone else on here stated in another thread, this seems like poor design on Toyota's part. Is there any other recourse, i.e. better shocks, etc. (I am not a wrench so looking for advice).

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    AAL or a different leaf pack. You can also have the OEM leafs re-arched. The AAL or different leaf pack will generally lift the rear. So you may want to think about that.

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    I would go to a dealer and tell the service manager your story. Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer? That might help but not necessary.
    Pretty sure others on here have gotten the TSB done past the warranty mileage.
    You should at least try IMO. I wouldn't even mention the mileage to the dealer if I were you, just the other stuff.
    Toyota is in a Please The Customer mode big time right now.

4. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    MINTaco

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    Thanks, there is no doubt that Toy is in that mode. TSB is pretty clear but might be worth a try. If that fails, may need to re-arch the leafs. Not really sure what AAL's are????

Anybody??

5. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    Fed Taco

Fed Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cale
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Wheels & Tires, weathertech floor liners, Areo Turbine Exhaust
    I believe AAL is add a leaf. It's just an extra leaf spring you add to the pack of springs you got on already. I'm no machanic though.

6. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Add A Leaf. It's another leaf spring added to your current set. The only issue is it will add any where from 1-2 inches of lift in the rear.

7. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    MINTaco

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    Gotcha, thanks guys. I will look into the AAL. Aid Association for Lutherans right??

8. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Chris D.

Chris D. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma RZN150 turbo
    2RZ-FE Turbo Intercooled, standalone........... Exactly 150% more power to the wheels than stock at the wheels. Supra transmission, 4 linked rear, QA1 coilovers all around, S-Runner rear sway bar, Corbeau bucket seats, forged 5 spoke 17x9 wheels, Wilwood 12.19" 4 piston brakes, Ford 9" rear end (early bronco) 31 spline, full floater, big bearing, 3.50 gears, trac-lock. fully functioning air conditioning and cruise control....
    Have you ever thought of getting a set of air shocks or a helper airbag setup?

9. Mar 2, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    I have seen some pics of the AAL TSB done and to me it just makes the rear of the truck sit to high compared to the front

I think a set of air shocks would suite your needs

You could adjust the air in them as you need it

But it's up to you

10. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    i've also heard of guys workin a deal with the stealership where they pay for the parts and then you do the installation on your own.... if you have the extended warranty it should cover it...or at least it covered mine...best of luck

11. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    MINTaco

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    That was my original thought and will probably go that route. I mean, if 180 lbs of sand in the bed bottoms it out there is no way I can tow my boat with it like it is.

Seems a huge oversight to put a 4 litre V6 in a vehicle with baby stroller springs in the rear. Piss poor engineering in my opinion. Thanks for the advice guys.....I'm sure I am not the only one in this position.

12. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

LOL....I've one the math too many times- but the amount of people who actually complain and get the springs replaced is something like 1-2% of the folks who buy Tacomas.

SO the other 98% of folks get a nice plush ride and don't give a shit about loading a few more pounds....Seems like Toyota is making out pretty well.

13. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    Jevansjr15

Jevansjr15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB Cement
    I am in the same boat as you (54,000k). I took my truck to the dealer yesterday and he agreed with me, after doing tests that my shit was F&$ed up. He explained the 3 year/36k warranty and gave me the $1,900 quote for parts and labor.

Your beef is with the customer care people, not the dealer. I tried calling the number yesterday to open a case but I was on hold for 30 min and gave up. I plan on trying again today and will post any new info.

Good luck with yours

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Thats for sure I complained about my crappy radio that turned off on its own & they offered me $500 in free parts/accesories, four months later when the radio didn't come in as promised they gave me a check for $600 w/o me complaining about it at all. You have to admit Toyota is taking care of customers, I think the fact I have bought three $30K trucks in the last four years has something to do with it though.:eek:

15. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Seems like alot of people use these trucks as mall crawlers & for them the three leaf pack is the best smoothest ride. I haul which is why I bought a truck with a towing package Toyota should have put a four leaf pack on all towing pack trucks just my opinion though. I got the TSB done rides better in my opinion, more truck like.

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    cotaco05

cotaco05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    CO
    Vehicle:
    13 FJ Cruiser
    I just had the tsb done on my 05 with 58k. Toyota paid for half after about a month of back and forth with coporate, so it's worth a few phone calls. Truck rides more like a truck, too.

17. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my dealer's service manager agreed to cover the labor. i had to pony up $500+ for the parts. not a bad deal, and i was more than appreciative. i thanked him for his VERY generous offer, but politely declined. i opted to spend just a tad more money and redo my entire suspension, by adding a mild lift.

18. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Toyota is NOT in the please the customer mode.
    I renewed my TSB request and also pointed out the corroded wheels.
    They politely said Eff U.
    Toyota is only flexible if you have a congressional inquiry.
    Sorry, but it's same old same old.

19. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    That's what I did.
    Air bag on its' way now.

20. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    sickspeed

sickspeed Member

Member:
    i was denied the tsb as well and might as well go with a subtle/mild lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top