1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tube Steps vs. Deer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cvillechopper, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper [OP] Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Coming home last night at about 55mph with my wife about 2 cars behind me I see a quick flash of brown to my left and hear THUMP THUMP THUMP. Of course I start my requisite swearing and pull off to survey the damage. Wife tells me that there were 4 or 5 others and they all ran in front of the car behind me (barely made it) and the one that hit me got up and ran away after regaining use of his rear legs.

Looking at the side of my truck I can't make out any damage. There's a little fur on the tube step and in the rear rim and some of the dirt was wiped off of the paint just above the step. If the tube step hadn't been there I'm sure he'd have gone under the truck and would not have walked away. I'd also be looking at pulling some fun gooey from the underside of my truck so there's one more reason for steps or sliders folks. Deer protection.

Now I need to get a brush guard... Might be an easier sell to the wife now.

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

tacomaniacmatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    kinda getting out of hand...
    haha yet another reason to spend more money on my truck :)

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I knew my nerf bars were made for some other reason other then just looks and getting the backside of my pants dirty!:rolleyes:

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Parking lot protection is the only reason I haven't removed mine. That and rock protection since I have no mud flaps.

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    '08 Regular-cab 2.7/5-speed manual
    2" trailer hitch, grill-guard, bed mat, ScanGaugeII
    Back in '91 I had a 4-Runner for a while and had nerf-bars installed. I got t-boned at low speed in an intersection by a teenage girl who'd run a stop-sign in a Honda Civic, she hit the nerf square, and it didn't even scratch the 4-Runner, but pretty well caved in her grill. Good protection for low intensity hits. I'd have been looking at thousands of dollars of body damage if it hadn't been for the nerfs.

To Top