1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tune questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by marcamos, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Nov 27, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    AmateurTaco1313

AmateurTaco1313 Long travel, she calls to me….

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4WD DCSB
    Too many
    Holy five pages of back and forth!? OP try and tune it doesn’t matter which one and report back if you like it or not. I’ll bet you end up enjoying how the truck drives post tune, I did.

marcamos[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 28, 2021 at 4:28 AM
    lostMarbles

lostMarbles A Lost Cause

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2021 3.5L 6MT, and 1997 2.7L 5MT
    The wingnut behind the wheel
    OP, I just flashed a tune to my truck. It was pretty easy, this thread is great if you have an interest in flashing tunes yourself https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vf-tuner-installation-guide-faq.695951/

Keep in mind I only have about 12 miles on the tune, so it has not had time to settle. However, I did not reset the learning values. What I can say with certainty, the throttle is now predictable. The biggest complaint I had (which did improve, but had not resolved) was how if I was holding the peddle down with a steady amount of acceleration, when I hit about 3k RPM there would be a noticeable increase in power to the wheels. This occurred very consistently. For the most part it was annoying, but once or twice it was flat dangerous on icy roads. The tune definitively removed this. I tried to make it occur, but it would not.

I want to say I have more low end torque and better acceleration, but it is not obvious, so it could just be wishful thinking. I will say, the split second of lag when taking off from a stop is now gone. (Edit) I certainly have more low end torque, I can accelerate going uphill in fifth gear from about 20 mph at 750 rpm (End Edit).

Also, the Valleyrunner tune I flashed is not the most aggressive, I was not looking for more power, so other tunes might provide a more obvious difference.

The other mod that helped this truck feel like it should was the clutch accumulator delete https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/mt-accumulator-delete-mod-adm-and-bs-thread.568303/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Tacotoast and marcamos[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 28, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    MrWrestlingII

MrWrestlingII Well-Known Member

Member:
    I highly recommend the kdmax pro tune. Every mile on the stock tune is an exercise in frustration.

Contact paparee or twtaco with any questions you may have. They are honest people and provide the best customer service a person could ask for.

PapaRee, marcamos[OP] and Chunk like this.
  4. Nov 28, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    marcamos

marcamos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Beverly, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road 6MT
  5. Nov 28, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    CliffyDeuce

CliffyDeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR MT
    I got the KDMax tune last May. It changed the mapping of the throttle (more throttle with less pressing of the pedal), but other than that no major changes. I think it’s a combination of having a manual transmission and how I drive. Mileage didn’t change (to the extent I can measure it). Average mpg has remained 18.5 to 20, depending on what kind of driving I’m doing. Maybe smoothed the 3k torque “bump” but not a huge difference.

I seem to be one of the few that didn’t see/feel a big difference. I know some of it is the MT - I didn’t have shifting issues that the tune solved. And I drive it like a truck, not a sports car, so maybe that’s why I didn’t see any other big changes.

lostMarbles and marcamos[OP] like this.
  6. Nov 28, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off-road DCLB
    OV Tuned, Bilstein TRD Pro lift, ECGS bushing, Heated Clazzio's, RCI SKID TRILOGY, BAMF sliders, ARE V-Series shell, RokBlokz flaps, more to come
    Pretty much all the tunes have been updated since May. You should get an update.

7. Nov 28, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    tendies

tendies Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma sport access 6mt
    I have that combo also, and exactly why I haven't tuned it. Can't see paying $500 for a slightly more responsive throttle pedal, and maybe maybe +10hp. Seems like many people get it just for the auto tranny shifting issues.

marcamos[OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 11, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    marcamos

marcamos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Beverly, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road 6MT
    I’ll surely have more thoughts over the coming days/weeks and will certainly post again, but a quick update:

I just got the truck tuned about two hours ago and drove home; every time a light turned green, an uncontrollable chuckle slipped out because I just couldn’t believe how good it felt compared to before.

I cannot wait to drive it some more (but it’s pouring out here in eastern Massachusetts)…

Thank you to the people who made this tune, to Sean who applied the tune, and to everyone here who said it’s worthwhile; it absolutely is.

If you’re hesitant:

PapaRee, Phich, TWTaco and 2 others like this.
  9. Dec 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    lostMarbles

lostMarbles A Lost Cause

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2021 3.5L 6MT, and 1997 2.7L 5MT
    The wingnut behind the wheel
    Agree, as I have put more miles on mine I really like the tune and it feels like a truck should in that even when intentionally bogging it into low rpms the engine still puts out power. I can cruise in 6th with rpms below 1500 and accelerate without downshifting.

Completely agree with your conclusion.

TWTaco, PapaRee, Phich and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dec 11, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Glad you are liking the tune Marc!

He is on the KDMax-Pro Manual tune. Tuned by Sean - @Toy_taco_trd

11. Dec 11, 2021 at 5:10 PM
    ktbell444

ktbell444 One who throws exceptions

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - Army Green
    It's different. Released almost a month ago.

12. Dec 11, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    You gotta keep up brother!

11/14/2021
    New Tune Announcement!
    The KDMax Tuning Group (45 Pro Tuners) has been working on and testing a NEW tune!!

KDMax-Pro

- More usable and noticeable low end torque
    - Improved gas mileage. Best MPGs so far! (As always, NOT Guaranteed.)
    - Octane learning from 85-95 octane--no more Regular and Premium versions.
    - Improved/smoother shifting.
    - Works with CAI's, Custom Exhausts, and Dumptubes with no weird affects.
    - 4Lo tested- smooth and strong at low speeds.
    - More user friendly throttle settings/names and just three choices:
    1. Sport throttle- Aggressive, linear (much like our Regular/aggressive now but optimized for less jerky low speed)
    2. Normal throttle- Used for Daily Driving but aggressive and linear (much like theold SLT but optimized and linear)
    3. Lite throttle- Like the Stock/WifeTipthrottle but optimized to be linear and smooth

Thoroughly tested by all year trucks.

Available for 2016-2022 Automatic and Manual Transmission Tacomas
    ————————————————————
    Pricing
    ---TunePacks/Files for DIYers---
    New customers- $300
    Existing/past customers- $75 -Just request the new files on your old PM with us(@PapaRee or @TWTaco)

----Tuned by one of our Pro Tuners---
    New customers- reach out to your Local KDMax Pro Tuner for pricing.
    Existing/past customers- reach out to your Local KDMax Pro Tuner for pricing.

bfaris1, TWTaco and marcamos[OP] like this.
  13. Apr 14, 2022 at 9:48 PM
    naujguerrero

naujguerrero Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    TRD PRO GRILL PEDAL COMMANDER TRD AIR FILTER
    Hi, i have a 2017 TRD Sport 4x4, previous owner told me that tuned the taco, but he didn't explain what type of, or what parameters changed. The only thing he mentioned is that the programing makes the Tacoma deliver all HP above 3,000 or 3,500 RPMs. Did you guys know if there is any way to check if i already have a tuned Tacoma?

14. Apr 14, 2022 at 11:46 PM
    Phich

Phich Porkchop Express

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road tuned to KDMax perfection
    Six Demon Bag
    Generally speaking, if the truck was tuned prior to the summer of 2020, it is almost certainly on a version of OVtune which was the original and only tune available for the 3rd Gen Tacoma until around early/mid 2020 when OVTune released the vFTune software - that's when people started creating tunes of their own using the base OVTune (more common at that time) or from the stock Toyota tune (more common now among the quality tunes).

The original OVTune went through a few versions until it hit 2.0 around late 2019/early2020. don't really remember.
    If your VIN is not registered with vFTune, it is most likely you are on an older version of some tune and should probably update to a newer tune of your choice.

While the original OVTune helps the truck indeed, it does not compare to the performance that the tunes that are available now such as the KDMax Pro and a few others will give. Do the research and update as you see fit.

Products Discussed in

To Top