1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tuning Issues - Loss of HP

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TheCatInTheHat, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Nov 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    TheCatInTheHat

TheCatInTheHat [OP] I'm the most wanted Cat In My Hat

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '03 OR S/C, '05 OR S/C, '18 DCSB TRD PRO
    too many mods to list
    Alright Guys and Gals here is my first post since becoming a member.

I recently decided to make a few upgrades to my 03 Tacoma. It has had a S/C since it left the dealership in 03. So put the URD 7th injector and 2.2 pulley, did a deck plate mod, and threw on some JBA short tubes (bitch to put on alone). A few days later I took it to get tuned (hey, I have a piggy back now! - let's tune it baby!!!)

Here'e the let down. The tuner I went to could not get this truck to stop losing power in the 3500 rpm range. He pulled timing, pulled fuel, added fuel - nothing worked. He pulled up previous 03 Tacomas and found a similar trend with em. He attributed it to "supercharger resonance". I had the S/C retorqued at the dealership. Still this problem is present, and it is VERY annoying. I attached the charts from the tune (yes, it was a few months ago...)

any ideas? questions I can clarify? I want ideas before I spend money on another tuning session.

thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestion/solutions <---that would be awesome.

T BOOST.jpg
    T POWER.jpg

2. Nov 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Is your belt slipping? That 2.2 pulley is the URD Supergrip pulley correct? It is designed to help prevent belt slippage. So first thing I would check is to make sure the belt tensioner is nice and tight.

There was a guy on Custom Tacos that found that if he flipped something with the s/c tensioner he picked up extra psi from a lack of slippage. Bwil was his name I believe.

Looking at your pictures, you can see a drop in boost at the same rpm where there is a drop in power. To me, that is due to belt slippage.

tacomatt602 likes this.
  3. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    TheCatInTheHat

TheCatInTheHat [OP] I'm the most wanted Cat In My Hat

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '03 OR S/C, '05 OR S/C, '18 DCSB TRD PRO
    too many mods to list
    Thanks for the idea. Yes, the 2.2 pulley I have is the URD supergrip.

I had not thought of belt slippage and I'll double check the tensioner. I'll also go over to custom tacos and see what I can find out there. Thank you again.

Products Discussed in

To Top