1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tuning your 3d Gen yourself

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by SeniorSpan, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    SeniorSpan

SeniorSpan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    G'day all,

Are there any Colorado Springs 3rd gen Tacoma owners who tuned there own truck?

I would really appreciate some lessons learned, advice and things to avoid experiences.

I have a 2018 with the CVC 2.0 tune and it runs and shifts 100% better than when stock. There's a 3.0 upgrade; however, the vendor I originally contacted in Denver is no longer in the tuning business. I contacted the Cal based CVC tune owner and was informed he would send me the 3.0 upgrade file if I purchased the OV Tune hardware.

Would like a little first hand education before jumping into this process cold.

Thanks
    Bob

2. Feb 11, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    I'd check with @mZiggy with YotaWerx and see if his local tuner can help you out - check their (YotaWerx) thread in the Performance and Tuning section - the first post should be of assistance as it shows who his local tuners are - Running 4 Taco's for Colorado unless you have the software and hardware to do it yourself - which is pretty easy. If you have the Tactrix (obd connector from OVT/VFTuner) and have downloaded the Software and gone through the automated tactrix device registration the rest is easy. Who did your flash of the current tune? Hope this helps. ??? did you update your ecu ?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    mZiggy likes this.
  3. Feb 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM
    Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '23 ACLB TRD OR
    Magnuson, King, OVRLND, Deaver, Method, BFG
    I'm in COS and would be happy to help with tips/advice, prob flashed 50+ tune versions on my 3rd Gen at this point.

If you want to do it yourself, you'll need the VFTuner software and a cable but after that it's really pretty easy - just nerve wracking the 1st few times.

mZiggy likes this.
  4. Feb 11, 2023 at 7:44 AM
    SeniorSpan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    Thanks GoldenBrew, very helpful.

My current tune, CVC 2.0, was done December 21 by Blaze Off Road. He is no longer doing any tunes per his e-mail to me. I'm more than satisfied with the current tune. I'm considering a 2023 purchase and contacted Adam for the KDMax tune. Reading thru the Running 4 Taco's threads and the associated threads, while easy to understand and I have the computer skills necessary, I believe having the tune by someone with experience is the more than likely way to go.

Cheers
    Bob

5. Feb 11, 2023 at 7:52 AM
    SeniorSpan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    Thanks Double Down,
    I should have jumped in long ago, but the evolution of tuning (mostly OV Tune) was progressing so fast it was difficult to keep up. New tunes and equipment almost on a weekly agenda. While my response to GoldenBrew tends toward having it done, I would still greatly appreciate some first hand introduction if possible.
    Cheers
    Bob

6. Feb 11, 2023 at 10:17 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    honestly I think having someone else do the flash is what I would have done if I had not purchased the original OVT hardware/software license many years ago. just easier to have them do any ecu updates and tune flashes and move on and enjoy. New Tunes have progressed so much you will be amazed. Lots of options local. Not sure but hopefully 23's are tunable - looks like the MotherShip is making changes to the ecu to lock out non oem tunes. Likely Gen4 will not be able to tune so yes get a Gen3 if you are in the market for a new truck.

You might want to consider a SC and the tune to make it run properly - cost a few bucks but imo well worth the cost - makes it run like a V8 and in the long run probably save you cash over a new truck purchase with the same v6 you have now. @Double Down is running a SC (MT) and I have one in my AT - check with him and I think he too will tell you how much better it makes the truck perform and fun to drive. We both run the YotaWerx Stryker SC tune from @mZiggy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    TacoTime55 likes this.
  7. Feb 11, 2023 at 12:33 PM
    SeniorSpan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD DCSB OR
    I'm a visual and logic kinda guy, so not only like to see what's being done, but understanding the logic path to completing the job is pretty rewarding. I was kinda unaware the tuners should make sure the truck has the latest TBSs applied prior to doing the actual flash. Not sure Blaze Off Roads did that for me or not. Hope fully Double Down will be gracious enough to educated me a little.
    Appreciate your reply

Bob

GoldenBrew likes this.
  8. Feb 11, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '23 ACLB TRD OR
    Magnuson, King, OVRLND, Deaver, Method, BFG
    @SeniorSpan feel free to send me a PM and we can figure out whatever you need. Happy to try and meet up and/or talk through your questions live.

GoldenBrew likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top