1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo 15 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Doak110, Aug 31, 2015.

?

Should I turbo a 15

1. Hell yes

73.3%
  2. Not a good idea

26.7%
  1. Aug 31, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    Doak110

Doak110 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Howell , NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 white Tacoma trd
    6in bds lift with Fox 2.5 factory coil overs and shocks Fuel rims 20x9 Toyo open country MT 33x12.50 Flow master cat back K&n cold air intake Bp fab grill 20in lightbar 2 3x3 Kc cubes 1.25in spider track wheel spacers HIDs headlights and fogs Red line hood struts Weather Tec mats
    I have a 2015 Tacoma dcsb lifted 6in on 33s, Im a mustang guy deep down inside but don't get me wrong I love my Tacoma but it just doesn't have the go that I get from a mustang but I get that it's a v6 and it's a truck but see the turbo builds got me thinking how awesome it would be to do that and since I missed out on the supercharger option that seems to be the only way to go I've herd that Toyota encodes the ecu and you can't tune it this and that so I was wondering if anyone has any info if it's still possible to do and if anyone has done it how much does it all cost in the end any info would be much appreciated and who wouldn't wanna watch me do a 15 Tacoma turbo build

2. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Based on this post something tells me that you are not equipped to do your own turbo build... If you are dead serious about doing it talk to @Torspd or @toon714 and expect to spend upwards of $10k, but unfortunately your truck won't get all that much faster to be honest unless you upgrade internals as well. You're throwing around a ton of weight.

Lord Helmet and scottalot like this.
  3. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The Taco weighs as much as a Lexus RC-F and is slightly lighter than a BMW M5. ;) Though yes you will need to upgrade internals to get similar power output reliably.

scottalot likes this.
  4. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    Doak110

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Howell , NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 white Tacoma trd
    6in bds lift with Fox 2.5 factory coil overs and shocks Fuel rims 20x9 Toyo open country MT 33x12.50 Flow master cat back K&n cold air intake Bp fab grill 20in lightbar 2 3x3 Kc cubes 1.25in spider track wheel spacers HIDs headlights and fogs Red line hood struts Weather Tec mats
    Well last winter me and couple buddies did 2 Paxton superchargers on a 13 and 14 mustang never Doing this before we jumped in head first and it worked out really good got it done in about 8 hours so the mechanical aspect I'm not worried about its the computer aspect of this kind of stuff I'm not really sure about and one of my buddies owns a fab shop and he does turbos all day long so for building the tubing he would help me out on that end but if people are saying up to 10k i don't think he would be worth it but I would love to say I drive a boosted taco

5. Aug 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    That's still a little different. I installed the supercharger on my pickup by myself, but would never even sort of offer myself up to knowing enough to fab a turbo setup let alone tune it. Being able to turn a wrench and swap out old parts with new parts does not make me a mechanic. Making everything "fit" doesn't mean it is routed right either. I don't want to kill your dream, but I am just saying that you should make sure to do your homework or employ the help of someone who has. A turbo setup is a very fickle beast. You would also need a standalone ECU and as far as I know the only ones available that would work for your truck are the AEM EMS and the URD UCON. Both of which would need to be hard wired in. You really will be in the 10k range all said and done if you do it right.

I'm not sure if it is something that you have considered, but have you taken into account the down-the-road costs associated with voiding your powertrain warranty on a 2015 truck? I am not so sure I would be willing to give that up. I boosted mine after warranty with understanding that I knew what I was getting myself into. Just food for thought. If this is not a pipedream and is something you actually want to pursue keep asking questions. There are plenty of people more knowledgeable on the subject than myself lurking around here, and many of us who will help where we can.

And yes, everyone wants to have a boosted taco :)

6. Aug 31, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    Blue_DMZ_Tacoma

Blue_DMZ_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blue DMZ Tacoma
    2006 Speedway Blue Tacoma AC TRD Prerunner Total Chaos LT Fox Coilovers Fox Bypasses King 500 DMZ Bedcage DMZ Deavers Fox 3.0 Triple Bypasses Total Chaos Spindles Glassworks Fenders DMZ Custom Bumper With 4 Vision X HID's 16" MT Classic Blue Locks 315/75/16 BFG All Terrains DMZ FAB 4.88 Gears TC Heimed Uppers
    Sell the truck and take the 10k+ and put it into something worth it IMO

7. Aug 31, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I've boosted plenty of cars. It's actually REALLY easy to install. Tuning will be your issue, but it's the same as tuning a supercharged Tacoma. If you can supercharge it and tune it than you can definitely turbocharge and tune it. The plumbing is the easy part, especially in our trucks where there is tons of room for it.

8. Aug 31, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    I've never used a "kit" to install one. A welder, chop saw and various flanges and fittings were all that's needed. Sure a "kit" would make it just a bolt on deal, but cutting and welding some metal isn't that complicated.

Do all of the SC guys use aftermarket standalone ECU's???

9. Aug 31, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Ummm the guy has already installed a setup and seems to have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. He's a big boy. I'm sure he can handle it.

10. Aug 31, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    Doak110

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Howell , NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 white Tacoma trd
    Yeah we have done a few things like it before this winter we are building a 1200hp stang so we are making our own turbo kit for it so I'm going to see how that goes and what you said about the warranty being that I would be spending 10k I would have to save up some money to just throw in to it and welding my good friend owns a welding company and another friend owns a race shop where they build turbo kits Everyday so fab won't be a prob either it's just the ecu I'm worried about maybe by the time I'm ready to dive into it they will have some better technology on how to tune the new ecu but all the information is great guys I really appreciate it keep it coming because the more I know the more likely another turbo Tacoma will be added to the community

11. Aug 31, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    That would be an "ambitious undertaking" to do a turbo conversion on a 2015 Taco. My daily driver is a VW GTI that has a bigger than stock turbo conversion. It was installed as a kit complete including the "tune" for the ECU. Sounds simple enough, but it was impossible to get it through mandatory emissions testing here in Arizona.

Just make sure you can handle the possibility of rough running or hard starting and increased maintenance possibilities. Truthfully I would but an older Chevy truck and swap in a new LS series crate motor with new computer to run it. You can have 450 HP without any turbo plumbing and as reliable as the rest of the vehicle is. My Tacoma is a 2012 V6 and zero mods to the motor except a K&N air filter. You can get a nice boost in take-off and for off-road by swapping ring and pinion gears. I run 4.56 gears and 32" tires. Also try not to load it up with extra weight (like I did).

12. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Tuning is "easy." You newbs forget. With a GT35, it has been proven to be able to use the TRD s/c reflash, and TRD injectors, safely, at no more than 8 psi. With the FPR mod.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  13. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Watch your AFR's, and stay in the 5-6 psi range. You'll be good all day.

14. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    One does.

15. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Oh yeah. Upgrade the fuel pump. If you don't, especially with that size turbo, at that boost level, you'll pop your engine without an upgraded pump.

16. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:22 PM
    Balockay

Balockay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Cleburne, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD ORP
    Just look at the build thread
    You can't even figure out punctuation. Stay away from your engine.

17. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:22 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I would actually think that there are quite a few more knowledgeable power oriented individuals out there. From different backgrounds. Which also now have Tacomas. @STiLL WILL . He's very knowledgeable. Others are out there as well. The knowledge gained is retained.

I just think I am the One who is most vocal.

18. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    Doak110

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Howell , NJ
    Vehicle:
    2015 white Tacoma trd
    :boom:

19. Aug 31, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I think we will see a lot of these (@Torspd) in the future

Torspd likes this.
  20. Aug 31, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    It would be most cost effective to get a F150 3.5L Ecoboost and tune it for 500hp / 600ft/lbs tq

Products Discussed in

To Top