1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo vs Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by beastlytaco, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Which one: turbo or S/C

1. Turbo

325 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Supercharger

656 vote(s)
    57.0%
  3. Dont spend the money on either

170 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Oct 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    But if you set it up proper... it should be recirc... which dampens that BOV sound a lot. Not doing recirc will shorten the life of the turbo from the abrupt cut in air on the turbines.

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    mikeyreolegio

mikeyreolegio Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma LX
    i wish i knew what you meant on that. i have no idea about turbo conversions on tacomas and what not. where do i start off

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    uhh what? A 'blow off valve' releases air that has already passed through the turbo, this doesnt cause a 'cut' in air. A recirc system is used in MAF controlled vehicles, so the vehicle doesnt see a rich spike in the AFR's causing a bog.

4. Oct 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Not to long ago I use to have a GMC Typhoon ended up wrecking it, but it was a small charger and 28lbs injectors, rand low 14s high 13s stock, could almost get into the low 13s with stock injectors. I don't know why a turbo kit is so complicated, you dont need a big charger. Thew supercharger kit is great, you bolt it on and get the programming. 4.3 other than a 4.0. THe GMC was OBD1 and were OBD2. From all the products URD has it can be done.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    My dad worked on turbochargers for over 20 years of his life. I'd suggest you get a turbocharger especially on a 4 cylinder. That's suggested by two mechanical engineers in this post. :D

Did a report over turbochargers anyway; it was very interesting..

6. Oct 30, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    PM Sent

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM
    Ca1192

Ca1192 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Silver
    Avid rock sliders w/ kickouts, foglight mod, yellow bulbs in fog light, 12v anytime plug mod, seatbelt chime mod, borla cat-back exhaust w/ dual tip mod, AFE pro dry S airfilter,
    which one will make the engine last longer or do less harm to the engine over time?

8. Nov 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Rich1790

Rich1790 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD SPORT
    Rims, Tints, Weather Techs
    None will make the engine last longer, with the proper fuel mods and a conservative tune your motor should last a long time.

9. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    bwill808

bwill808 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bryan
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 extra cab 5lug trd supercharged
    trd supercharger the grey version , k&n intake , trd headers , 2 1/2 inch catback
    my trd supercharger the grey version puts 4 pounds out maxx, and u cant floor it i have to ease into it or it looses all power wats the problem . , my buddys turbo 240 can floor the thing anytime

10. Dec 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    You need fuel mods, its going lean at WOT...

11. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    bwill808

bwill808 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bryan
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 extra cab 5lug trd supercharged
    trd supercharger the grey version , k&n intake , trd headers , 2 1/2 inch catback
    i looked up fuel mod , found a urd injectors , running about 600 $ with harness's , is there any way to get cheaper fuel upgrade or someway to make the truck fast , and wats ur thoughts on the the grey sc since all i have see is the black verion now , i am not liking my sc since i paid 4000$ for the headers sc and 3 inch pipe . with installation. and the fucking truck isnt half as fast as i thought it would be i could of had my friend put a turbo for half the price , wat a mistake .

12. Dec 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    I agree with you, I have driven SC equipped Tacomas and was less than impressed..

A better way to increase fueling is to install slightly larger injectors so at the programmed duty cycle it is injecting more fuel at WOT..

URD makes good stuff, but you can also use a cheaper piggyback controller to add fuel to stock injectors, no matter how you look at it its going to cost a few bucks to set it up properly..your still going to have to pay someone to install and tune it so there is no other option really.

If you want the horses to run, you gotta feed em son...:cool:

Turbo is for those who want a real increase in power, the SC only works properly with the extra fuel necessary, I dont even know why its even offered without it..makes absolutely no sense to me...your not alone, even with fuel mods IMO there is a lot to be desired....

13. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    2mhighside

2mhighside Member

Member:
    Hey all I am new to this forum and actually havent even purchased my Taco yet. My plan is a 2011 TRD 4x4 Loaded Texas Edition. I also want to run some kind of forced air system. I am not new to Turbo as I previously owned a 06 G35 Turbo pushing about 450 hp. Now everything im seeing about the Toyota SC setup is im only going to gain around 60ish Hp. That seems kinda like a low number to me. Is the 4.0L engine capable of more boost? 304Hp in a truck doesnt seem like a lot. Maybe I have been spoiled and dont get me wrong im not looking to be drifiting my Taco around every corner I just wanted to know if they are capable of more?

Can I couple it with a PB ECU, Exaust and external intercooler for more HP?

14. Dec 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Toyota offers the TRD SC setup to be reliable. The boost is most likely setup to offer decent power, with decent MPGs, while not stressing the engine beyond a certain spec. This is a setup for the average customer, who may want the extra power, but isn't going to care for crazy boost, or might not ever do maintenance other than recommended maintenance from Toyota or their local garage.

Someone installing a custom turbo setup most likely will be tuning the turbo to run more boost, wanting to squeeze out as much boost as they can while keeping their engine decently reliable. This is for someone knowing more maintenance might be required, MPGs sacrificed for more power.

Example:
    Why would someone buy a Veyron with a quad turbo 16 cylinder putting out 1001HP when someone could buy a LS1 Trans Am V8 and add a Pro-Charger SC putting out 1200HP?? While the Trans Am may run reliably, the Veyron is setup to put out tons of power while keeping the engine as reliable as it can be, sold to someone who wants the power, but may never touch the engine themselves.

Comparing someone's stock TRD SC setup with someone's custom turbo setup is unfair. If Toyota offered a stock turbo setup, someone's custom SC setup would probably have more performance.

15. Dec 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Well said!!

16. Dec 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    x2, and with supercharger there is a lot of room to grow, pulleys injectors engine controllers. Its great to start with the TRD and then work your way up if you feel the need.

17. Mar 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics

hes right about this one the kits are made to be used when you need it not all the time and along with anything supercharger or turbo the whole goal is to get more air to the motor so of course its gonna burn a little more fuel than normal, but thats the price you pay for hp, but in my opinion i say SUPERCHARGE THE HELL OUT OF IT

18. Mar 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!! way better IMO. I am a proud 87 Supra owner so i know tons about them. Really they are beter then SC i think cuz they are more efficient, especially if you do a rear mount one that'll run super cool like an STS. Plus you can gain way more power from them then a SC for less money.

19. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    I personally love turbo's. The sound you get from the spooling and the blow off valve and they just sound incredible. SC are great too, I probably wouldnt put a turbo on a tacoma, super charger seems more practical but gawddamn turbos sound nice.

20. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    Sleeper362

Sleeper362 One Convenient Locations ......In Africa

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    Turbo got my vote, you actually need less fuel to run a turbo than a supercharger at the same power levels, and if you learn some fabbing skills, you can actually do a good turbo kit for about 2500 including the cost of the welder. I am swapping my T Trim Vortech for my own turbo kit on my stang. I would not FI anything though until I built the bottom end.

Products Discussed in

To Top