1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turn A/C Off When Knob Turned to Max...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmed99, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Actually Max usually stands for recirc not A/C on....maybe this has changed over the years. My truck doesn't turn the recirc on when the knob is all the way to the left...and I'm glad because if it's cooler outside this wouldn't be the optimum setting.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to turn the knob all the way to the left (while keeping my eyes on the road) then pressing the button on as it gets warm then if it gets cool, pressing the button again...toggling it off and on. Toggling it on and off will save gas. If you turn the knob all the way to the left and the A/C comes on the you get cool so you turn it to the right a little the compressor will still be on and that will result in worse gas millage than toggling on and off. It's difficult to toggle because you have to press a button and turn a knob every time you toggle. I also think it is less safe to press a button and turn a knob since most people will look down at the knob to make sure they dont turn it too far to the right. Most people wouldn't look down if all they had to do was press the button to toggle on and off.

Maybe I would like to untie the knob and the button to allow more flexibility due to my anal tendencies (I'm a Mechanical/HVAC Engineer). Trust me I understand what goes into complicated systems.

The bottom line is when you have to press a button and turn a knob to get the A/C off, it's a bad design.

In the past few years, I've had several new cars and when Max A/C was on the recirc came on automatically but not the AC...that is an option. Max has always just turned the recirc on. However in my 09 taco it doesn't turn the recirc on instead it forces the A/C on.

Just seemed kinda weird to me.

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    Another answer to the too cold issue would be to leave the AC on and increase the temp until it's how you like it. It's not all or nothing.

3. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    You are correct...seems like this is the only option.

Thanks!

4. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR

This is also correct but it does use more gas using this method. Toggling the A/C on and off will save gas vs. using the compressor at a higher temp.

:D

5. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    Americans are so fat because of complicated A/C buttons:confused:

6. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I noticed this feature on the newer highlander (had a rental while our older highlander was in the body shop). A/C came on automatically when you turned the temp dial to max cold. Anyone know what year they added this feature to the Taco? (FYI, that's probably why so many here didn't understand the problem, it wasn't like this on all our older models)

7. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Max A/C Mode

• This mode eliminates the need for complicated operation by simply setting to the Max A/C mode position to operate the system at maximum cooling.

• When the Max A/C mode position is selected while the blower switch is on and the Mode Switch is in any mode other than DEF or FOOT/DEF mode, the A/C compressor automatically turns on even if the A/C switch is off, and the system is switched to the RECIRC mode. At this time, the A/C and RECIRC/FRESH indicators illuminate.

• FRESH mode can be selected by pressing the RECIRC/FRESH switch, even while in Max A/C mode.

• Airflow volume during Max A/C mode is adjusted by the position of the blower switch. However, if the blower switch is off, the A/C compressor does not turn on.

• Although the A/C compressor is always on during the Max A/C mode, pressing the A/C switch turns the A/C compressor off.

8. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    :jerkoff:

:laugh: :rofl: Very good!

9. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    This is not correct in my truck. How can it be always on but yet you can turn it off? I'm I missing something here?

10. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    There is another wrinkle to consider. Toyota added a UART to add logic to the defroster control. This will confuse you unless you know that when it happens it is by design.

Defroster control logic has been added to defog the window glass when the ambient temperature is low. Accordingly, input signals of the ambient temperature sensor and the vehicle speed have been added to the A/C amplifier.

Defroster Control Logic

• Due to the adoption of the defroster control logic, fogging of the windshield is minimized, improving visibility.

• The defroster control logic automatically changes the air inlet mode to the FRESH mode under any of the following conditions:

1. The DEF mode or FOOT/DEF mode is selected.
    2. When the ambient temperature stays below 10°C (50°F) for 3 minutes or more during the RECIRC mode.
    3. The ignition switch is turned on when the ambient temperature is 10°C (50°F) or less.
    • Press and hold the FRESH/RECIRC switch for 2 seconds or more to turn off the RECIRC mode while the defroster control logic is operating.

11. Mar 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Wow, I would think you could have figured this one out yourself.:p

Here ya go:

"Take your left foot (No, your other left foot.) and lift it off that footrest a little ways. There's a pedal by the left foot kick panel. You want to slowly press it down with your left foot (NO! Your OTHER left foot!!! Phew, that was a close one there!) until you reach the desired braking speed. Then let off and press it again to resume accelerating."

See, you never need to take your right foot off the accelerator. Hope this helps.:D

12. Mar 29, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I am not certain. I tested it in my truck (2009), and when Max AC is selected on the blower switch I know the compressor turns on. Now, when I press the A/C switch, it appears to do nothing. If it does nothing while in this mode, than the literature I quoted was wrong.

An interesting test would be to activate Max A/C mode, press the A/C switch (we know the A/C light will say illuminated), and let it run for a while and see if the compressor does actually turn off. If it does turn off and the light stays illuminated then the literature will have failed by omitting this detail.

13. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    The compressor will not turn off in your test.

14. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Okay. Then the only solution we have is to either not activate Max A/C mode, or to activate it, then back it off one notch and depress the A/C switch.

I'm with you, there are times I wish it didn't operate this way. Oh well.

15. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    I noticed the same thing awhile back, but was ashamed to say anything...thanks for bringing it up first!;) Just kidding of course; looked down and saw the light on and coulda sworn I'd turned it off... think I'll fiddle w/ mine, then maybe put a piece of tape over it if I start to freak...guess I'm too old school:p

16. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Wow...I had no idea this a/c system was so complicated! :eek:

17. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    All we would have to do is untie the knob and the button......anyone care to try to figure out a mod for this?

18. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I'm confused now... So I drove the truck on an errand during lunch, and I'm able to turn the A/C button on and off regardless of the position of the temperature gauge. Even when it's all the way to the right (cold). Is my truck super-special?

19. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
  20. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    :stirthepot::rolleyes:Through advanced mathematical computations and laser based measurments, I have determined that my left seat and instrument panel are .0037214 degrees out of alignment. Since it is to the left and taking into account the effect or phased array controls, it could explain why mine works just fine. The longer wire must have a knot in it that is reversing the effects of the control inputs.

Products Discussed in

To Top