1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turn A/C Off When Knob Turned to Max...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmed99, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    mws4ua, The feature being discussed in this thread is unique to 2009 and 2010 model trucks. Your profile says you have an '06.

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Oh... sorry... My truck isn't super-special... I'm just super-stupid.

Thanks.

3. Mar 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    It happens to everyone. :) Btw, I do enjoy your humor. In other threads I have busted out laughing at some of your posts. :D

4. Mar 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    LOL...surprised there's not a TSB out for the AC button yet...I will pull the button trick on the wife; it'll drive her nuts if she can't figure it out!:p

5. Mar 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Does anybody just roll down the window anymore ?

OZ

6. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Wrencher86

Wrencher86 Active Member

Member:
    Chicago, Il
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5Spd Reg. Cab 4cyl.

Just because the light is on doesn't mean that the compressor is running. There is a whole slew of sensors that determine the load on the evaporator core and toggle the compressor on and off as needed. If it was running the whole time your evap core would trurn into a giant iceblock and you'ld get less air fow and, actually, less cooling.

BTW, what's the point of a Max A/C setting that only turns on the recirc? If you are selecting Max a/c doesn't that meant that you wanta/c?

7. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    That is all true. But according to a Toyota tech document it clearly states that the compressor is always on while the Air Mix Switch is set to Max A/C mode.

It also states that we should be able to control the compressor with the A/C switch. jmed99 has reported that pressing the A/C switch has no effect. My testing is inconclusive, but I can state the A/C switch stays illuminated when depressed while in Max A/C mode.

It turns on the compressor and enables recirc mode.

8. Mar 30, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    This is absolutely false! The compressor does NOT toggle on and off if the A/C light is on. Trust me on this...you are in full control of when the compressor is running. This is why leaving the A/C on but turning the temp a little less cool will result in worse gas millage than just toggling the button on and off every so often. The evaporator core (throttling valve) will NOT turn into a giant ice block if the compressor was running for a long period of time.

If you want Max A/C then yes it should turn on both recirc and A/C but give you the option to turn them both off. It does give you the option to turn off the recirc but not the A/C. You should have the option to turn them both off. Actually, having "max A/C" on the temp knob isn't the best design.

9. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Now I see the problem clearly. You may be a mechanical HVAC engineer or whatever but you are being ignorant. What I mean by ignorant is uneducated about AUTOMOTIVE HVAC. You are trying to apply what you know about home or commercial HVAC to cars.

Most vehicles on the road today toggle the AC compressor. Even vehicles that use an H-block can still cycle the compressor when required. No input from engineers required.

10. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR

This is funny. :rofl: Man, I wasn't trying to be arrogant at all....sorry if it came across that way. There's no real right or wrong here as I just wish the knob wasn't tied to the button and I'm looking for a mod to untie them. Others on here wish we had the same mod. You may not want this mod...who cares...there's no right or wrong here.

Ignorant about Automotive HVAC????? lol I wont even go there. I don't know you and you don't know me so we probably shouldn't call each other ignorant. Thanks for the laugh though.

Even if our HVAC did toggle on and off (even though the toyota documentation says it doesn't :evil:) it would be impossible for it to toggle on and off depending on our comfort level so it wouldn't be doing it in the most optimum way.

Not trying to argue here....I'm just looking for the mod and you don't want such mod so I'm not sure why you even care. :cheers:

I bet it would be easy to untie the two but I know most people don't wanna try in case we screw something up. I sure don't but I thought it would be worth asking if this existed. :thumbsup:

11. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    Pyriteship

Pyriteship Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab SR5 in Pyrite
    Didn't this thread start by someone asking how to just get fresh air, vented from the outside?

I have a 2010 and also found it strange that when I turned the temp knob all the way to the coldest setting (without touching any other button) that it forced the AC system on. It's almost like the Government these days. Giving us stuff that we didn't ask for nor do we want and which are going to cost us more $$.

So I guess the answer is to just turn the temp knob to one notch less than full if you just want fresh air vented from the outside, correct??

12. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I was only being a little funny. There is a reason why just about every automotive HVAC system will cycle the clutch on the compressor. It is because they do not use (for the most part) a traditional sump type lubrication for the compressor. If the R134 gets low and the pressures drop it can starve the system of lubrication. So we cycle the system off. Many newer systems can also cycle the system off if the high side gets too high as well. Add to that the thermistor on the Evaporator and it can turn off the compressor to prevent ice formation. Heck, for years Cadillac would set a code and disable the AC compressor until the vehicle was checked and the code cleared. They would also not allow the compressor to even come on when the ambient temperature was below a certain point. EVEN with the system set at MAX and the AC button depressed. If you let the car warm up, it still would not run unless you commanded it with a scan tool. The data from the ambient temp sensor would not start to update until the vehicle was driving 25 MPH. The data would go live at 45 MPH. Once it saw the warmer temperature, VIOLA, the compressor would come on. To stay on topic with our vehicles, the compressor even has a speed sensor in the compressor. If the compressor RPM is not logical with engine speed, it assumes either a slipping belt or clutch and can disable the compressor to prevent additional damage.

My truck cycles the compressor on and off with the system set to MAX AC. It is a 2010. Now I guess you want a video to document it? You want documentation, I suggest you purchase the repair information for the system. Look at the schematics and the symptom based diagnostic charts. Then you will see how the system works.

Not trying to be mean, sir. Just pointing out the facts of the system and the differences between cars and buildings.

Yes, Pyriteship. jmed99 is the OP and he asked the question. He has made some assumptions about the system and that is what we are discussing. With respect and a little humor, I hope. It is the age old engineer and technician discussion. ;)

Yes turning the knob back off the detent will get you button control. As far as a MOD would go, that would take me a little while to stare at and think about. The inputs are variable resistors, diodes and switches into what is basically a logic module. So knowing what to change or what value to prevent for the AUTO MAX AC mode would take some time to figure out. I bet a person that specializes in electronic control systems could look at the schematics and figure it out faster. In my job, I fix existing systems and run the tests as designed. The simplest way I can see to override the AC compressor coming on would be to put a toggle in the ground side control for the AC clutch relay. Then if you went to MAX position and the toggle switch was open the compressor would not come on. The potential problem with that would be the RPM sensor in the compressor. If the logic module thinks it commanded AC and then does not see any RPM from the compressor, it may set a code and get an attitude.

Fun stuff, eh?

13. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    hahaha you guys need to be "civil" engineers and technicians!
    Did you ever see that commercial for the phone book and finding civil engineers?

If you figure it out let me know as I don't like the way it operates either. But I'm also one of those lazy guys who gained a few pounds by not reading the manual to find out I could just go one click back to vent!!!

14. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I think we may be able to mod this pretty easily by bypassing the Max A/C position out of the system. We can make the mod to the Heater Control Panel Assembly. A detailed inspection of the Air Mix Switch would be in order first.

If your interested in the system diagram click here

15. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    jmed99

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    I'm to skeered to try it....lol! Let me know what you find!

16. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    A/C MOD (search for it) Great one! Stops the Compressor from running all the time in defrost..proven quit arguing.

My A/C and compressor only comes on when I push the A/C button...mpg gains and no more confusion with the dam A/C button coming on when its cold out etc..

17. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I have two minor mods ahead of this one but I promise I'll investigate it. I need to get the wiring diagram for a 2009 too.

Haha I've taken apart my taco before. The wife raised some eyebrows over this one. :D

On my dash on the driver side you can see the heater control panel assembly, the one we need to inspect.

[​IMG]

18. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:

I'm skeered too - For now, I just need to find my "detent"

19. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    Ummmm, now I see WHY I'm scared.

20. Mar 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    It looks more scary than it is. Those papers in the photo are the instructions for the dashboard assembly. I got them from TW and they worked great. I couldn't have done it with out them.

Products Discussed in

To Top