1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turn Signal Turns off Cruise Control !!??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mrh1, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    mrh1

mrh1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking for some help please.

Yesterday, I realized that when I signaled for a right turn, my cruise control would turn off. This only happens with the RIGHT turn signal, not the left. Then, when I applied the brakes, the right turn signal would not function, and the turn signal indicator (on the dash) would illuminate steady. Remove foot from the brake, right turn signal begins blinking again. Apply brake, blinking stops and steady right turn signal light illumnates on the dash (no exterior lights on). The left blinker works perfectly fine.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for even where to start trouble shooting this? Or should I first go to the exorcism?

Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    First off...welcome to TW! Not sure what year truck you have but if it is new i would take it to the dealer so they can fix it under warranty. Otherwise, I suspect there is a wiring issue with your turn signal lever.

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    have you checked to make sure the bulb isnt burned out? on my dads old Toyota wagon when the bulb is burnt out the dash light stays solid. may be completely off track but its worth a shot..

4. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....
    the bulb could be the problem. i know in my old 150 when the bulbs would be out it would do a super fast blink, but as for the cruise control..... thats not right or very safe

5. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the forest
    Vehicle:
    Now: 12 T4R SR5 Then: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    more info would be helpful...year, mods, etc.
    does the turn signal light do the same thing if cruise is off? or only when its on?
    have you worked on ANYTHING in the truck lately - electrical or otherwise? if so you could have inadvertently snagged a wire and caused a short. do you live/work/play in rural areas? sometimes little critters like mice think its fun to get into the engine compartment and gnaw on things. pissed anyone off lately? someone might be messing with you and your truck.
    sounds very unsafe to have cruise control affected - if you dont solve the issue soon take it to a dealer asap. toyota seems pretty uptight right now about "safety" issues. im sure they will take you seriously.
    and if they cant help, then yes plan an exorcism.

6. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    mrh1

mrh1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First off - thanks for the welcome here...had my 'baby' for 9.5 years and now found the site.

She's a 2000 Tacoma w/ TRD package, 4WD, manual, 3.4L, V-6, with 160k miles (all mine). Everything is standard / vanilla, other than a truck hitch/wiring harness that has been there for 8+ yrs. Haven't worked on anything in the last 3+ months, so I don't think I jacked any wires. I checked the light bulbs - everything still blinks (providing the brake isn't applied!). Going to go out in the light tomorrow and look for mouse damage. We're in the woods, so that's not out of the ordinary. Don't think I've pissed on anyone's wheaties lately either, so hopefully that cause is out. The only other problem as of late (2-3 months) is that the aftermarket stereo "restarts" (ie. loses power, resets all settings / time / etc) every couple of starts. I thought that it was just a loose wire and have been too busy to pull the dash apart and re-solder.

I guessing that they're related, but the two main problems:

1) Cruise turns off when the right turn signal is applied.

2) Right blinker stops blinking / lighting when the brake is applied, and a solid turn signal light on dash appears when brake is applied. Left turn signal is unaffected.

Frankly, I'm much less concerned about the cruise turning off, compared to someone not being able to see me signaling to turn as I'm stopping.

Any suggestions on where to start the wire chasing? Under dash? Inside (gasp) the steering column?

Thanks again all for helping out with my haunting...

7. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    mrh1

mrh1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just got off the email-machine with the folks at "Just ask.com/toyota". $9 and 15 minutes of my time, removal of my 8 yr old towing harness, and success! (Everything works again). Doug (toyota expert (?) at the site): "Yeah those harnesses are usually a slam dunk for this problem; they typically last 3-5 years max.... even if the official Toyota ones."

So, thanks for everyone's help. Here's the answer in case someone else comes up on this problem. Have a great turkey day!

8. Dec 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    Toyjeep

Toyjeep Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Tacoma
    Supercharger, 3" lift
    I am having a similar problem with my 2003 Tacoma. At night, my blinker stays lit with my dash and headlights (so I cant use my left blinker). During the day, when I turn the blinker on, the dash lights blink with the blinker. My cruise control hasnt worked since this started last night. I am going to try disconnecting my tow harness as well.

To Top