1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

turn signals coming on when braking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Nick_Taco, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    Nick_Taco

Nick_Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Eibach springs, Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec AAL, LR UCA's, Better Built tool box, bed mat, Line-X, Husky floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, Cobra 75 CB radio, aFe Pro Dry S, Optima Red Top, deck plate mod, grey wire mod, rear diff breather extention, Beefed carrier bearing drop, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, 16x8 Wheelers Type B black
    I've had this problem for a while now but it has gone away before....this time it wont. When I brake my turn signal lights on the dash come on solid (not blinking). If I'm braking and turn on a turn signal they will blink at an odd rate.

I had wiring for 3rd brake light for my Leer cap but I cut the wiring out yesterday as I rarely use the cap anymore and now the light on the driver side of the dash has gone out but so has my driver side turn signal...:mad:

I do have wiring for a trailer but I had this problem before I got that wiring.

Checked all bulbs and fuses and can't seem to find anything wrong.

2. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.

Do you have any LEDs? I had this same problem because I changed all of the dash lights (all of them) as well as the rest of the truck to LEDs, but the dash blinkers had weak resistors in them. I changed the bulbs and it fixed the problem.

There is probably either a disconnected ground or a short somewhere. I would just pull all lights out and check them and their wiring.

Hope that helps. haha. It can get annoying.

3. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Selkirk, NY
    Vehicle:
    4x4 reg cab, 5 speed
    Better tires Hurcules Terra Track, trimmed front mud flaps, (access limited tonneau-took off) softopper, ats running boards, Piaa fogs, window vents, Wireless thermometer, extra bed rings, valley hitch
    You just did the "confuse the driver behind you" mod.

Could a light bulb be dead? My old 92 toyota passeo had funig things go on when a brake light or center brake light was out or loose.

4. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I had the same thing happen but it was the result of faulty trailer brake wiring. I'd guess it's in that cap wiring shorting somewhere

5. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Nick_Taco

Nick_Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Eibach springs, Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec AAL, LR UCA's, Better Built tool box, bed mat, Line-X, Husky floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, Cobra 75 CB radio, aFe Pro Dry S, Optima Red Top, deck plate mod, grey wire mod, rear diff breather extention, Beefed carrier bearing drop, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, 16x8 Wheelers Type B black
    turns out there was a bad ground

thanks for the help though guys :cool:

To Top