1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turning off the TPS Light

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacofan, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    tacofan

tacofan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Des Moines
    DR Coilovers
    Does anyone out there know if there is a way to turn off the TPS light other than cutting wires or yanking bulbs? Is there a separate fuse that could maybe be pulled. Please help, ever since I put different rims on that F#*cking light drives me nuts!

2. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    No there isn't any way to turn it off short of taking your dash apart. You can place a piece of electrical tape over it, so you can't see it....

But why didn't you just have them put your TPMS in your new rims??

3. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Mellow

Mellow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Ext Cab SR5 4-Cyl Prerunner
    I went from steelies to TRD wheels off CL so I didn't have replacement TPMS.

Here's what I did... I got a 4 inch pvc end cap, then a part that would slid into the end cap that had a threaded end on the other side.. then the end male part w/square. Sorry, don't know the names.

I used drilled a hole for one of the tpms to fit in and then put the other three inside and stuffed a plastic bag in there so they wouldn't rattle.. sealed it all up with pvc cement and got it real tight..

Airs up quick to 35psi and just leave it in the storage area for the AC but you could put it in the glove box, center console or under the seat.

I took pics w/bed cleat so you could see the size.

IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg

4. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    tacofan

Member:
    Des Moines
    DR Coilovers
    What happened was I totaled my 05 without TPMS and the insurance company bought me a 07 with TPMS but I had Nitto's on the 05 so I swapped them before the insurance company towed my wrecked one. So unfortunaltey I do not have any of the sensors off the TPMS wheels. I wanted to just swap tires but they were 2 diiferent sized rims. Plus I liked the look of my 16" rims better than the 17" TRD sport rims.

5. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Being that you no longer have your TPMS....without buying new ones and having them programmed which I don't think anyone has found a reasonably priced way to do this...your best bet is a piece of elec tape over the light.

Lesson learned, its cheaper/easier to pay to have the TPMS taken out of your rims before you get rid of them ;).

6. Dec 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Easy fix I use a black business card like this one, it fits down even farther than in this picture
    [​IMG]

7. Dec 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    tacofan

Member:
    Des Moines
    DR Coilovers
    Lesson learned is right. I only had a few days between when I bought the new truck the insurance company was towing the old one so I didn't have much time to do research on the wheels. I had Donohoes on the front and 5100's and add a leafs on the rear of the wrecked truck and I had to tear apart 2 trucks and get the suspension swapped, plus all the stereo gear swapped. Needless to say I was busy!

While we are on the subject does anyone know if I add a couple of leafs if there is going to be any forseable problems other than a rougher ride. When I tore apart my wrecked truck I took a few extra leafs off and sent the truck home with the insurance company riding pretty low! If anyone comes across a good deal on a slighlty rolled 05 access cab don't buy it, I robbed everything I could off of it and didn't put it back together very well!

Products Discussed in

To Top