1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TW 100 Strangers Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Photography' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Dwayne - Somebody #5/100

[​IMG]

Melvin - Somebody #6/100

[​IMG]

I met one other guy today, Dennis, but he asked that I not put any of his photos up.

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Melvin looks exactly like my grandfather who happens to be Marvin...haha

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Crazy coincidence! ha He was a really really awesome character. Super funny haha I was cracking up and grinning ear to ear listening to his stories and stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Way cool Chaz. I love reading their stories.

5. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I'm glad, man! People are such an inspiration when we take a minute to notice they exist! haha So glad I skipped my photo judging thing AND class today to go walk downtown and take photos. I'm seriously going to go back and try and find Melvin sometime. Dude cracked me up! haha

6. Apr 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    So, just an update for anyone who cares. I skipped the photo judging in Omaha but found out later I took second place with some photos from this project so I got $200 and my photos stay in their studio for a month (hopefully they sell because I printed huge and don't want them in my home that big hahah).

7. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    ebbs15

ebbs15 Lord Winchester

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 Lexus GX470
    you know... might be kinda cool to offer them to the folks you took pictures of... if you have contact info... or if you do sell them... give them a bit of the $... not judging, but looks like a few could use the $.

I love this idea and the $200 is well deserved great Idea and photography... but I just love how much character you can see in their faces... makes me want to hear the story behind each wrinkle, crease, and scare on their face

8. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    The two people I entered (not that it's anyone's business) seem to get plenty of dough from the gov't to live on. However what they don't have is anyone who cares about them. (They don't need money ha they need some love and compassion.) I see them in the neighborhood a lot and always grab them something from the coffee house or talk to them a while and cheer them up. I gave them some books to read as well. The guys I met downtown however live on the street and (again, not that it's anyone's business) they always get something from me. I never take and not give. I buy them a drink or a sandwich and talk with them for a good 30 min before moving along. The whole point of this project for me is to make a commitment and make sure these people feel like their appreciated and like they're somebody. The kid in red I bought his magazine subscription ($60) to help raise money for some kid's home thing he was helping out and Chopper(Melvin) and Dwayne I fully intend on going back to see and see if they need anything else or how they're doing. Trust me, I'm not just in this to take and not give. The whole point of the project is to help the subjects feel like "Somebody" as well as let the people who look at the project that the people they run into on the street are "Somebody" and shouldn't be put on the level of not being human or worth our time or compassion. I've given Karl a coat and gloves and give Brian rides and buy him a drink pretty often ha I am genuinely committed to these people, not just trying to "use" them like everyone else does. Which is actually why I haven't put up more photos, because I've gotten a lot more but a lot of the guys I talk to ask that I not put their photo up so I don't. It's not about taking, it's all about giving. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  9. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    ebbs15

ebbs15 Lord Winchester

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 Lexus GX470
    Gotchya... wasn't trying to imply anything, hell taking the time to talk to someone more than most are willing to do. I think it's awesome what you're doing and even more so if you're giving back while doing so. :bowdown:

10. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I got what you were sayin, man ha I simply feel that instead of throwing money at problems to they'll go away we need to realize that people have other needs as well. So the project is for me, them, and others, on different levels, but I've learned a lot talking to people in rough places and wanted to start sharing I guess ha

11. Apr 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    ebbs15

ebbs15 Lord Winchester

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 Lexus GX470
    Very good point. if nothing else you've inspired me to follow in your footsteps... I've talked to about 10 people over the last month... damn thing is... didn't have my camera on me... LOL oh well... couldn't even hope to capture the emotion you do in yours

12. Apr 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Dude, the people give the emotion haha what's awesome is your stopping to talk to folks. That's great! I'm kind of that "weird" guy who carries his camera almost literally everywhere so it's hard for me to not have it on me, but each time I don't bring it I miss a shot so I've gotten in the habit of just always having it. Nice thing is it even fits in my seat pack on my bicycle so when I ride for exercise I always have it on me (with my pancake lens only ha).

13. Nov 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    [​IMG]Carl - Somebody #7/100 by AdelphosChaz, on Flickr

Nebraska Carl - Somebody #7/100

Meet Nebraska Carl! He was here at the Mill coffee shop to read the paper. I saw his killer mustache, hat, sweater combined with is manly gruffness and friendly smile and just had to ask for a portrait! He was completely calm in front of the camera and allowed me to take a good dozen or more photos while just talking with me and doing his thing. He had a genuine quality about him that I quite enjoyed. I would definitely hang out with Carl haha. He was about done reading the paper and I had some work to do so we parted ways. Until next time, Carl.

14. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I just looked at the EXIF and I'm a derp. I was dialed in at 6400 ISO and the SS was like 1250 or something haha I definitely could have brought that ISO down many stops . . .

15. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    THIS IS AWESOME.
    Tell us what camera you use? How do you approach these people? i feel like if i did this, people would be creeped out lol.

16. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    haha camera doesn't matter. I've used a few. But for those who are gear nerds I prefer mirrorless systems for this kind of work. My tool of choice is a Fuji with multiple Prime lenses. I don't own a single zoom lens anymore.

Approaching people is easy :D just walk up and say, howdy, what's your name, man? How's it going?

17. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Looks pretty dang good for 6400.

I'm with Anthony, I would definitely creep people out.

18. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Haha You guys are hilarious! It's all in your head! If you can say hi to people without your camera you can do it with one! :D

This sensor does really well at high ISO. One of the big factors as to why I chose it.

19. Nov 19, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    Still pretty damn cool, i'd never have enough balls to ask people lol.
    How often do you post new people then? Everyday?

20. Nov 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    No way, I've had 7 subjects for this project posted in several months ha

I photograph people more, but mostly candids and a lot of times when you ask for a portrait people say yes, but don't share it online, so you have to respect that.

My most recent photo journey was this Summer to Jerusalem. I've been out of Auto and into photography for only a year as of this month, so I just post everything ha Some people say not to, but I have no "client" I'm trying to sell to or art show I'm trying to impress. I just shoot for me. It has a lot to do with my transition out of the Corps. Helped me get over bad habits. I just love to photograph people.

THIS thread is for ANYONE who wants to post up their personal people photo projects, so start one and post up! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top