1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tweeter wire color

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by evh5150, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    evh5150

evh5150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 D/C S/B V6 6 Speed
    Bilstein/5100 combo from Toytec. LR UCA's.1.5 AAL's Full audio upgrade.Pioneer 8400, JL Audio subs. All Boston Acoustic pro speakers, and a Kenwood XRS 5 amp. Grillcraft, Smittybuilt stainless steps. Debadged. Soon 17x8 ATX Ledge wheels w/285/70/17 BF Goodrich
    Well my installer put my 6x9 SR95's in the front door. But left the stupid factory tweeters hooked up as well. All they do is crackle because they can't handle the power of the Kenwood XR5 S I have installed. So I figure I must be able to get the door panels off and cut this wire myself. Any help would be great

2. Apr 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, MK6 wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    All I can say is that I disconnected the tweeters when I put in my 6x9s in the doors, and nothing worked. Power is wired through the tweeters, so you'll probably need to pull your door panls, disconnect the tweeter harness at the tweeter and then reconnect the wires together to maintain a circuit. No guarantee on this though. Someone else will hopefully chime in.

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup...

It looks like the mid and tweeter are wired in series, but they aren't.

The harness comes into the door and goes to the tweeter connector.
    From there, 4 wires leave the connector to the tweeter, but only 2 are connected to the tweeter.

Toyota spliced the 2 black and 2 red together inside the shrink tubing between the tweeter and the connector, rather than doing the intelligent thing and jumpering the connector.

You need to cut the harness between the connector and the tweeter. Leave enough room to work with the 4 wires.

Strip and solder the 2 red wires together and insulate with heat-shrink.
    Strip and solder the 2 black wired together and insulate with heat-shrink.
    Plug the connector back into the door.

You'll also have to do this if you are installing a system that uses an external crossover, since the factory wiring goes to the crossover and the crossover feeds the mid and tweeter separately.

This picture shows the factory wiring. The gray box indicates what is inside the black sleeve between the tweeter and the connector.

spkrwire.jpg

4. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    evh5150

evh5150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 D/C S/B V6 6 Speed
    Bilstein/5100 combo from Toytec. LR UCA's.1.5 AAL's Full audio upgrade.Pioneer 8400, JL Audio subs. All Boston Acoustic pro speakers, and a Kenwood XRS 5 amp. Grillcraft, Smittybuilt stainless steps. Debadged. Soon 17x8 ATX Ledge wheels w/285/70/17 BF Goodrich
    Wow man thanks everyone

To Top