1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

two problems. squeek and vibration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takern, May 5, 2010.

1. May 5, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i have an 03 taco with about 70k miles on it. i put on a lift about 10k miles ago. up front under the floorboard i can feel a thunk. i cant hear it but i can feel it under my feet when i am driving. im thinking maybe my cvs are shot up front. its a continuous thump. does that sound right?

also about 500 miles ago i noticed a very quiet squeak coming from my rear driver side. it kind of sounds like a bad bearing but its not grinding like my bike bearings when they went out. any ideas here?

2. May 5, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    What is a continuous thump? You mean like you're driving over a rumble strip? Does it go away when you pop it into 4Hi? If so, the output bearing of your front diff is shot.

MANY 2nd gen owners with lifts have this issue and toyota has been replacing the front diff under warranty. Haven't heard nearly as many 1st gen reports but it certain does exist. My 03 with 78K has the hum/rumble strip from 20mph - 35mph...

3. May 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There's only one thing to do..... jack up the front end of the truck and stick your head under there and look around. Spin the wheels by hand...do you feel any reisistance? Grab a wheel and shake it in & out and back & forth - is there any play?

Do you feel any vibrations in steering wheel? Do you feel it in 2WD & 4WD?

How fast does the thump occur? With Rpm's? With speed? or less frequently than the speed your traveling?

As for the squeek in the rear driveshaft.... When was the last time you greased the zerks on the drive shaft?

4. May 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i havent had it in 4wd on a smooth road to check it but i will get down there and do it when i get a chance. the steering is fine and i only feel it on the floorboard, like there is something that is hitting it ever so slightly. the thumping happens at all speeds but is worst at 45-55. and i greased the rear zerks about 8 months ago. i reckon they might be dried out a bit. never hurts to put more grease in

Products Discussed in

To Top