1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Two shops could not fix my tacoma! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by david901, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    david901

david901 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 pre runner
    I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and two shops so far have not been able too fix it. I have not taken it too the dealer yet, but it looks like i might have too. There is a problem with the tps switch or something along those lines. The throttle only opens 20% when u push the petal all the way too the floor. The mechanic said from what the can tell both the sensors on the throttle body are working, but he can't find any info on what voltage the ECM should be sending to everything. I don't know if there is a sensor bad or if its the ECM itself also Toyota does not sell any parts for the throttle body they will only sell me a new one for 1,200. Any info on this would help before i take to the dealer ship. Its there a kit to get rid of the actuator and just use the tps sensor? Is there a place that i may be able to find some used parts for this thing? Thanks David

2. May 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    ninja90177

ninja90177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC 4x4 Off-Road
    Icon 2.5 C/Os, Wheeler's AAL, OME N182, 265/75-16 KM2s, Murdered Emblems
    Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, i'd say, start with anything you can do at home or at a friends with some basic tools that should be laying around.

Go here -> Find the manual for your truck. FSMs will generally have all the info needed with regard to testing voltages at sensors (what voltage you should see and what points to test at). These aren't Haynes or Chilton manuals. They're far more in-depth (usually) and may be a bit too technical for some.

If, by going through the manual, you still aren't able to diagnose/isolate the issue on your own, you may need to go to the stealership.

Also, check the regional section of the forums for your area. Someone nearby may be able to help out, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

3. May 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    Sounds like good gas mileage to me

Products Discussed in

To Top