1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Two Weeks Notice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jlvhrse, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff
    OK so I intend on putting in my two weeks notice and any advice is appreciated.

Here is a basic overview. I have been with this company for 2 years. I have been through 9 weeks in addition to my initial 4 weeks of training. I started off as an "Event Coordinator" and am now officially an "Senior Event Coordinator, Reservations Agent and Acting Team Captain". I was told when I was hired that after one year I would not only receive a pay raise but that I would also be hired on by the company (I am currently employed by a temp agency); neither has happened. I have displayed a high level of professionalism, good attendance and flexibility along with a strong desire to succeed, be proactive and improve myself as an asset to the business.

It's a really long story but I am sick of it. They have done nothing but bend me over, fuck me in the ass and then expect me to smile about it. (try not to be creepy guys...)

So. Here is the letter I intend to distribute to all of management on Wednesday.
    And here is the letter I intend to submit to their boss.
    See any issues or have any suggestions?

Also, I am waiting until Tuesday evening or Wednesday night to turn this in. Tuesday evening I was invited to an "invite only" function with upper management to commend those who have been an asset to the company. Out of my office of around 100, only 8 were invited total. My boss and her boss were not even invited. What I am thinking is this puts me in a position to express my dissatisfaction with management and their lack of tact and communication. I just don't want to go in there and sound like an idiot.. Any suggestions on how to approach this, or if I should even do it would be greatly appreciated.
    I figured I would start with something like "Do you foresee any restructuring changes within management within the future?"
    Im so nervous about this... these people are my bosses, bosses, bosses, bossses boss and his team... :eek:

That was hella long... thanks for reading.. sammiches, beer and football for you all

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think before turing in the letters do like you planned and talk to upper management at the function. Express your concerns and see if something can change. This would of course mean that you stick it out with the company for a little bit.

3. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:

Thank you... hey if they can improve things Ill stick it out.

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    JTO

JTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Sport
    Both of your letters are very professional. I wouldnt change those in anyway. As for the dinner, if you have already accepted another position then dont even worry about it. Go get some free food and enjoy yourself on their dollar then move on to your next adventure.

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    It might sound selfish... but the biggest thing to think about is YOU.

Do you like your job? B/c that is what matters.

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Have you mentioned anything to the temp agency about the position and your plans? As much as you want more money, etc., they don't want to lose a billable account. They might go to bat for you, depending on your relationship with them.

And nice job cutting me off before I got to make a comment. You lobbed that one right over the plate. :p

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

Well, the thing is I have been working more than just this job for about 1.5 years, and right now I have 3 other jobs so quitting is not an issue. I guess I am just pissed and I am not the only employee that feels that management is unorganized and unappreciative of the load that we all have taken on as of recently due to attrition. (some for this reason also)
    Basically everyone is leaving because they treat us like shit.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    If you do bring up the issues at the management meeting, be prepared to stick around for a couple more weeks to see if anything does change. Nothing would be decided on the spot, and bringing up the issues, and then just cutting out without waiting for a chance for them to make changes may lead to a bad reference if future employers contact your current employer.

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    If you have another job lined up do what you need to do.
    If you do not you may want to look in to making sure you have somewhere to go.
    Jobs are kind of scarce out there these days.
    Good luck.

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    I don't mind the job. I mean it's a job. It's pretty dern easy. BUUTTT I can't stand to work for these people. Don't get me wrong there is one or two that I will be verry sad to leave but are not my direct bosses.

Thats a good idea. I should speak with the temp agency however it is not up to them to give me a raise or employeed by the company. And I surely do not need anymore jobs.. I have 4 right now :eek:

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    The first letter is fine. The second is superfluous.
    And since you've made up your mind to leave, AND are in the great position of having another job lined up, I'd follow through.
    Keep in mind, though, that their reasoning for leaving you a temp could be a high buyout fee demanded by your agency.

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    Thats a good point. I'm not sure it's worth it.. Im pretty sure Im just done.

I do have three other jobs and another one lined up. Getting more shifts will not be an issue. Thank you :D

13. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    but i want to let someone know how much i hate them. and I can't really be like "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you... im out" lol

they have been using the economy excuse for not taking people on. i am not the only one. however they have been increasing in business and profit since I have been here...

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    On a completely unrelated side note I think I saw you driving through the BAL parking lot a couple days ago.

15. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I wan in a similar situation a few years back, and I can tell you that nothing is more satisfying than quiting a job you hate, especially when your not worried about finding other employment. I pretty much danced out the door the day I quit one of my jobs, it was such a good feeling.

Also, their is nothing quite like doing an exit interview and being able to tell them the truth (respectfully) about why you are quitting, without worrying about the kind of reference they will give you.

16. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Absolutely agree. Especially if, in this economy, you don't have something else decent lined up. It's brutal out there. The stories of 100 - 200 - 500 applicants for $10/hr jobs are real.

I too would encourage you to see if you can arrange a meeting with upper management, tell them what you were told (that at a certain time you'd be hired on by the company), that you understand the economy is in the tank, but that you'd also like to get a better handle on your future and see if they can shed any light on it for you.

It never hurts to ask, especially if you have a record of hard work.

17. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    senorlocke

senorlocke New Member

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtracab 4wd SB 2.7L 4cyl A/T
    I would leave out the section of complaints in the second letter...keep it simple and professional. Someone there obviously recognizes the the good work you have done (by being invited to the party), they will ask for an explanation of why if they truly value you as a employee, then you can discuss these points with them. In the future, when things are promised, get it in writing.

18. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    jlvhrse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    Possibly... :spy:

I usually keep more than one job... That's just how I am so I have to say this is not the first time I have done this. It's amazing isn't it? :D The only reason why I stayed here so long is because I hate depending on tips with the horse and truck.. but I know I can do it

19. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    TacoRich

TacoRich n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Winchester, Ca
    Vehicle:
    White 07 Prerunner
    Throttle body spacer, K&N intake, Leer 700 tonneau cover, Dynomax catback, de-badged, bilstein shocks, airlift air bags, procomp at's 285/75/16 on stock rims with spidertrac spacers.
    Letter sounds great. You have to do what needs to be done to full fill your future, not theirs. Just don't go and do what I did and burn bridges. I had a sit down with management after months of being "jerked" around. I tried to explain my feelings on the matter. They were not listening. So I threw a chair down the conference table gave each member a double single finger salute and yelled at them to go "f" themselves and I quit. Fortunately, upper management saw how they treated people people and those who witnessed my actions were pretty much forced out and they ended up quitting. Moral of this story, don't burn your bridges. I see that you are a thousand times more professional, so keep that up. You will go far. Good luck.

20. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Trust me, I understand your position. I could tell you stories... having been in positions from apprentice to senior executive.

But in the end, some companies and senior managers will take advantage wherever they can of whatever they can, using this economy as an excuse to double or triple an employees workload while "cutting the fat" elsewhere... without a single concern.
    Your comments in the second letter will be ignored, and if not, who knows who will be responding to a reference check?

Products Discussed in

To Top