1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TYetti's 2.7L Rebuild/FULL SEND/EAF build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by TYetti, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mar 30, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    Kuntrykid

Kuntrykid Tacoholics R Us

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma 5spd access cab 4x4 red
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/kuntykid-builds-a-taco.406341/
    Where did you find the Hurst shifter@?

2. Mar 30, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
  3. Mar 30, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    TYetti

TYetti [OP] 4cylinders of awesomeness

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    Kuntrykid[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 30, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Start it check for leaks let it run at 1500-2000 rpms, let it cool for an hour then start it again bring it back to operating temp and run her hardish through the gears change the oil and go.. I'm going with a recommendation from a friend who works at a high prrperforma shop. Its basically the same just longer period with more oil changes.. I'm not taking chances! I've done the initial start and cool. I won't start the truck again until I have the time to do the procedure, which is pulls no more than half throttle letting it engine brake to idle then starting again, 15-20 times, change oil, do the same just higher rpm, change oil, run her hard till 1000km change oil . So Tuesday I'll spend most of the day annoying my neighbours with my leaky exhaust and doing oil changes lol. Ya my exhaust won't seal at that flange I'm taking it into a shop and just getting it done.. no more after-hours fucking around

5. Mar 30, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Picked up the rest of my oil today lol
    IMG_20190330_182144_de01549fc3a00de28f638e7c49aba076a26ef3e5.jpg

Insuring and doing the break in on Tuesday as mentioned earlier. Then spend another few hours cleaning tools and the shop lol

6. Mar 31, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    Talkingmute

Talkingmute Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '10 Taco SR5 4wd 5spd Acc. Cab 2.7L
    3" OME, AFE CAI, URD Header, ARB +Warn M8k
    Just gonna say: I spent a solid few hours reading your thread. Happy she's back in the dirt. Two or three pages ago I was ready to throw my stock airbox and headers in a pack and ask you for your address. Looking forward to modding the 2.7 this summer and catching up! Also post updates about the clutch - local guys have horror stories about either the LCE flywheel or the clutch (I can't remember which one enraged the guy I take my taco to). Sub'd.

7. Apr 1, 2019 at 4:14 AM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'll be doing a bunch of write ups as things progress... That's weird I've only heard of one bad thing with the Lce clutch but it turned out the guy installed it backwards. I retained my OEM flywheel so well see how it goes..

8. Apr 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    Talkingmute

Talkingmute Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '10 Taco SR5 4wd 5spd Acc. Cab 2.7L
    3" OME, AFE CAI, URD Header, ARB +Warn M8k
    By no means am I trying to dissuade you from your purchase. I contemplated doing the same thing because I'm a fan of their product line. I support anyone who looks out for the 2.7 crowd.
    On a less ominous note, how do you like the method rims? I was considering getting a bronze set but didn't know if they would give me problems with caliper clearance, and did you opt for 17's to hold your 35's?

Kuntrykid likes this.
  9. Apr 1, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:

Lol well it's on the truck now, no turning back lol..y methods are 16" if you go back a few pages I was running 1/4" spacers, I then added the Lexus ARP studs which are perfect for the 1/4" and open ended pro comp lugs. Actually those are new I haven't pictured those yet. I also wanted the bronze but they didn't have them I later found out I could have gotten the real beadlocks in bronze for the same price as the pretend ones..I like the look of the NV regardless on the black truck and I like the rims in general cause they're not bent. My pro comps were shit

Talkingmute[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Ok sooo break in day was a success, ripped her around the block a bunch of time like I stole it trying to get those rings to seat. Turns out someone didn't like my leaky super loud exhaust cause the local PD showed up. I had the truck on the hoist changing out the oil, they were cool, it was obvious I was working on it, I told them I was headed to an exhaust shop after I was done here, I swear they were about to pull up a chair and start crushing beers lol, felt like they just wanted to hang out in the shop. Took the truck over to an exhaust shop some friends recommended and 15 min later no more leaky exhaust 50$ cash out the door thank you very much. So I hauled around the country roads for a bit putting some miles on the clock. The Lce header throws off a ton of fumes and so does the whole exhaust actually.. it's a tad bit on the loud side lots of bass, but I like it when not driving like a dickhead it's not that bad .
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvxXEpngeVs/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wy5f7z4842wb
    I was driving like a dick head here.

The Lce pro clutch
    Honestly it's great, on the street it's nice and smooth, well see how it does wheeling later but so far I'm impressed

Core/Hurst shifter
    Fuck me it's short, I mean the stock shifter has a longer throw than a Kenworth, but dayum. It's taken some getting used too, but I like it. Also my coffee is no longer trapped when I'm in 2nd or fourth. Which is the whole reason I spent money on a shifter I didn't really need lol..

Some tinkering to do still. My skids are not on the truck I want new hardware for those. The park brake isn't working I think it's just an adjustment issue cause it's all new and my brakes work. Also I had leaky rear line the ss extended lines I bought years ago were low quality and rusted to shit. I replaced them with 27" Russell brake lines with a -3 male To 10x1.0 semi inverted flair female from earls to make it all work with Toyota lines. I've got air in there somewhere I need to bleed them again

11. Apr 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Alright we are on oil change number 2, oil that came out looked nice an clear bunch very little gunk in the filter, the guys at Fraser Valley engine and Machine did an awesome job making sure this thing was super clean. Also no consumption whatsoever!!!!!!. Still running mobil 1 5/20 synthetic, the butt dyno says she's got a bunch more power although in reality it's probably negligible, being bored .20 over gives it a slight bump. 150km on it after today, all good so far. I do notice that the Hurst shifter is a little noisy at times, but I'm assuming it's just vibes coming through the steel

overado, PintSize and Kuntrykid like this.
  12. Apr 2, 2019 at 10:00 PM
    LittleBlueHilux69

LittleBlueHilux69 Breaking Stuff est. '18

Member:
    Rapid City, SD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR "Rocky"
    4 cyl for the win! :cheers:

13. Apr 2, 2019 at 10:05 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sooo much win.. I love this truck despite calling it various names over the last few weeks when bolts or engines wouldnt go back in lol

14. Apr 2, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    LittleBlueHilux69

LittleBlueHilux69 Breaking Stuff est. '18

Member:
    Rapid City, SD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR "Rocky"
    [​IMG]

TireFire likes this.
  15. Apr 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lol more like where in the god damned fuck did that tool or bolt or anything I just had in my hand

16. Apr 3, 2019 at 1:59 AM
    Kemosabe

Kemosabe Little bitty life

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    URD STS, Spidertrax spacers, AFE Pro dry
    You don't know, but you needed it:D

Red a few reviews saying that the hurst lets more transmission noise get inside the cab. Should be normal

17. Apr 3, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Ya it doesn't sound out of the ordinary, just vibes from the internal gear set. Every little noise though I'm like wtf is that

Kemosabe[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    Kemosabe

Kemosabe Little bitty life

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    URD STS, Spidertrax spacers, AFE Pro dry
    with how the core stick shift is made, do you think it can be a direct replacement for the oem stick?

19. Apr 3, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Without the base, you couldn't just use the shaft it's a two piece offset stick it bolts to the base..

Kuntrykid and Kemosabe[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Apr 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    TYetti

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    500km update

Engine rolled over 500km today, so far so good, I've got to change the muffler, the drone is so knarly the whole cab reverberates. It's deafening, the Lce pro clutch and Hurst shifter combo feel great on the street. Once I got used to the short throw the shifter really is great. My brakes still aren't where I'd like them to be I have to adjust the rears some more. Engine continues to work great so far no oil consumed, it is hard to read the dipstick as the oil is so clean but I've been watching it closely. I've had a few bolts come loose here and there, nothing major had a minor scare when the fan nuts came loose and made a terrible sound, made me think it was knocking for a second. Currently throwing a o2 heater code. It's not causing the engine to run rich, I didn't realize the o2 sim needed to plug into the old o2 to get a reading for the heater, so now I have to go find a used one. Urd chose not to include instructions which was annoying. Seems to be using slightly more fuel than before, not sure if it's just cause it's new or because of the mods I've done time will tell. I've also been driving differently, I was advised not to lug the engine so I've been running in lower gears more often than not.

Products Discussed in

To Top