1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

U-haul hitches?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by regcabtaco, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    regcabtaco

regcabtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma sr5
    I am going to U-haul today to get a hitch install and i was wondering if they are good hitches. Also if they aren't then could someone recommend a good quality hitch. Pics would be nice of your hitches thanks.

2. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    I just bought one myself.Instaled it myself it was super easy.as far as quality i say it's there i see them everywhere.and for the price you can't beat it i think you'll be happy with it.What are you doing for the wiring harness.

3. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    regcabtaco

regcabtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma sr5
    Thanks for the feedback. My truck already has a wiring harness but he took the hitch off before i bought it.

4. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    here's a picture of mine installed

[​IMG]

pretty sure it's a U-Haul. If you want more pictures I can get some.

5. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    They're very nice hitches. I had one put on a 1st gen and it looked great. It was tucked up under very nicely. Good quality.

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    chugchug

chugchug Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Frederick MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    get the hitch warranty it covers everything (rust, accident. paint flaking off what ever you think it covers). but they have to install it. so if you are haveing them do it buy the warranty its only around $5.00 so if some dump ass hit your ass end you get the truck fixed and they will put a new hitch on and you only have to pay for another warranty if you want it.

7. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    If your having them install it, check over their work. My dad had one installed and a major bolt on both sides was left out due to they "forgot":rolleyes: that holes needed to be drilled into the frame for the bolts...took it right back and had them finish the job.
    You might ask before hand if they would need to drill any holes in the frame. I'm sure if you had the Toyota hitch installed it would more than likely use existing bolt locations.

8. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    the uhaul hitch for the tacoma's require no drilling they just bolt on.

9. Mar 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I installed a 'Hidden Hitch' on my 96 tacoma...

I can't comment on the UHaul versions. They're probably all comparable in capabilities. Shop around for the best price.

Reese is another big name brand.

10. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I got mine from U-haul - had the best prices and it was only $20 to install, which was a no brainer for me. I just sat and watched the guy do it to make sure he got it right. There were two styles available, a round or curvy style, and a traditional style like a factory hitch. Both were made by Curt Mfg., like Valley mentioned above a big manufacturer of hitches. I liked the way the traditional one mounts to the frame better then the other style. It bolts up thru the bottom and side of the frame, where as the other just bolts up to only one side of the frame. Even though both were rated the same, 500/5000 lbs, the traditional one was more overkill IMO with the mounting of the hitch.

11. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    bought mine from u haul. installed myself. have prolly had close to 7k lbs on it (5k rated) no loose bolts or stress cracks. have also had many of jerk ropes hooked to it that put more stress than that 7k load. good hitch imho

12. Mar 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    I bought a U-haul (valley) hitch this winter.

Does its job, looks good and super easy to install. Took about 15 mins in -30 weather :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Top