1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

U-Joints.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Knute, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Dec 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Knute

Knute [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Ok.....I'm being a lazy butt today. The weather is 34 degrees with rain changing to snow. I just don't want to crawl around under the truck.

My problem is a mild shudder when leaving a stop. The truck has 110,000 miles, lived on a gravel road with PO. I just greased the joints, the shudder reduced but remains present. All indications showed this was the 1st lube on the joints. :facepalm:

I believe the likely culprit are the U-joints. Yes, I need to verify by checking for driveshaft movement, but not today.

The truck details are '06 V6, 4WD, Access cab, Sport. I think the U-joints need to be replaced. I figure if I'm doing 1, then doing all is just a little more effort. The joints are not expensive.

My questions. RockAuto has quite a selection of joints. I'm not sure which ones to get. I'm thinking Heavy Duty greaseable.
    Which U-joints are the right ones?
    Are the joints on the front shaft the same as the rear shaft?
    Brand-wise, thinking SKF or ACDelco......others?

2. Dec 11, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    tacotoe and TnShooter like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good point on the Carrier Bearing.

Do you know the size for the front shaft???

4. Dec 11, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Entropicombustion

Entropicombustion Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    College Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 AC FourBanger
    Apex Front Bumper, Sliders, Soft Topper
    I went by NAPA today to get rear U-Joints and the guy behind the counter said there is no direct replacement for the center u joint (09' 4x4 Access Cab). I would have to go to the dealership or a place that specialized in drive shafts.... It seems like everyone on here just gets three (or 5 if they're going for the front too) and goes for it.

Anyone run into this? Can anyone confirm the rear 3 U- Joints are the same size?

5. Dec 11, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    SilverYeti

SilverYeti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Pelfreybilt sliders ARB bumper WARN winch
    I think the center joint is non greasable
    OEM I went the same for all three in the rear. The rear was just balanced by Drivelines NW no issues. Spicer 5-153x is what I used for the front. Rear I used Moog-270 I think, not sure as idk about my rock auto history but found a box of that laying around.

6. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hmm..... not very affirmative answers.

Remember the NAPA guy only knows what the computer database spits out.

Think I'll wander into Toyota dealer on Monday for a detail quote with part numbers.

I'll post up what details I can get.

BTW, the cold rain morphed into 4" of heavy white stuff. Nothing like ice under snow, then it becomes greasy sno-pack.

tacotoe likes this.
  7. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  8. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I would most certainly get the vehicle up off the ground and gear boxes in neutral to make sure they are indeed bad before buying the parts. Grease slip joint too of course. Be careful of course, if you dont have it up on 4 jack stands, you don't want it to roll over you. Spicer brand joints are high quality stuff. I had no idea that's what comes on them from factory.

9. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @gearcruncher , Thanks, that clarifies a bunch of questions about the rear shaft. All 3 positions use the same U-joint.
    The Front shaft joint is up in the air. Hoping its the same as the other 3.

@tacotoe , Thanks for the heads up on safety. No concerns in that area. My background and work history have burned safety into my daily activities.

As I have said, the truck lived on a gravel road for the majority of its life before it came to me. Gravel dust is very abrasive and will penetrate even the best seals. I wouldn't call replacing U-joints an expensive or difficult repair. I would rather replace then deal with a failure. So, I figure all the U-joints (and Carrier Bearing) have seen the same living conditions, environment and mileage. If I'm doing 1, then doing all isn't much more effort or expense.

My attitude on this type of maintenance can be summed up in a simple thought.....

"If I don't have time to do it right the first time, then when will I have time to do it right the second time?"

tacotoe likes this.
  10. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Entropicombustion

Entropicombustion Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    College Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 AC FourBanger
    Apex Front Bumper, Sliders, Soft Topper
    Yeah, I know he wasnt a SME on all things tacoma, but he showed me the tattered U Joint book and it didn't give him any answers. I'll keep poking around and see what I come up with.

tacotoe likes this.
  11. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    All true! And I'm the same way on replacing one may as well replace them all! As I've gotten a little older I've also come to the appreciate the saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". :rofl:I recently replaced all the u-joints on drive shaft and axle shafts on old car I'm working on. Interesting after a little research on u-joints, because I thought surely I want the grease able type, but the non grease type are actually stronger from not being cross drilled. Better for my car application but probably not so for our trucks.

12. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The Spicer driveshafts on your 2006 use 5 of the same size universal joints , however , if I had my choice , I would purchase 2 universal joints for the front driveshaft with grease zerks in the caps . Its going to make things far easier too grease at every oil change . You gotta be a contortionist to get the grease line into the front driveshaft zerks
    Some guys dont like the grease zerk in the cap cuz you can rip them off when 4 wheeling . Thats a chance i would be willing to take

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  13. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    Knute

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely agree on the joints being greaseable and the zerks located on the end caps.

I don't off-road, so little concern for shearing off the zerks.

All joints are the same???

14. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
  15. Jun 11, 2023 at 6:50 PM
    06tacodude

06tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    IG: @go_nesw
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 4, TC UCA, K&N filter, SG-II, Relentless Fabrication bumpers, RCI Sliders and tank skid, BajaDesigns LED, URDMAF, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Rear ARB locker, ARB dual air compressor, RLD cap, Prinsu cab rack, FNWheels Six Shooter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chart shows "AU" configuration for 2006 Tacoma V6 4x4 which indicates three u-joints 5-1330-1X for the rear drive shaft and one for the front drive shaft.

The chart for "AU" configuration is incorrect because there are two u-joints for the front drive shaft instead of one. It doesn't provide the PN for the front drive shaft u-joints ... does any know what it is?
    I don't plan to change the u-joints for the front drive shaft, but I might keep them in my garage for spare parts.

GilbertOz likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top