1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uber Powerful Dog Smell

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by kspann, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Drewschyf

Drewschyf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Saint John, NB
    I also have a new to me used '05. It has the wet dog smell once in awhile. I noticed that my carpet was soaked both on the drivers and pass sides. From searching other posts, there is a possible leak either at the back window or the
    front cowl. I am still trying to find the exact leak.

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    kspann

kspann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I saw a few of those posts and since we just had like 3 straight days of rain, I ran out and checked and it was dry as a bone. I wish you good luck and a speedy resolution. Congrats on the truck!!!

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    You can try an ozone generator. I have one that I use to treat my hunting clothes and it works great. It kills all bacteria it comes in contact with. I had these STANKY neoprene Muck boots that I keep in the truck for various hunting seasons and they made my truck stink. I'd blame it on the dog, but if you whiffed these boots you'd be lucky to stay on your feet. I put those boots in a rubbermaid bin, gave it a half hour ozone treatment, and those boots were completely odor free. The machine is supposed to be able to treat 300 square feet, so I would think it could work in the cab of your truck. Here's a link for the machine I use, you can probably get it cheaper on FleaBay though. http://thelog6.com/

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    On to the Next one ... or idea. I am not sure if the source of the smell is from the carpet or the seats. I have taken out the seats and have put them in my living room (wife is soooooo happy about that). She will be able to tell the second any smell is coming off of them. Before they were brought in to the house, they were wiped down so we shall see.

Once I removed the seats, I found a picture (and 50 cents) I am assuming of the previous owner and, I can only guess, the culprit. Curious if he is known in these parts. I would love to ask him a couple questions.

culprit.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    interior2.jpg
    seats.jpg

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    Normco

Normco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    4WD indicator led, Intermittant wiper, Cruise control, Gentex temp/Compass mirror, TracRac, WeatherTec Power mirrors
    I saw a guy on one of the PBS shows who said that to get cigarette smell and that musty smell out of air conditioners to turn the A/C on all the way and spray an entire bottle of Lysol into the intake vent at the base of the windshield. And to let the A/C run for about 30 minutes after the spray job.

Have NOT tried it personally.

6. Apr 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    This is really starting to piss me off! Dawn and ammonia bath the entire inside. Smell still there.

uploadfromtaptalk1302813121077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1302813150864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1302813175301.jpg

7. Apr 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    IDK if you thought I was trying to just sell you something, but I am pretty sure that SCOE stuff will work for you. I actually ordered it , I actually used it, and it actually worked for me.
    If time is $$, (Iknow mine is) then arent you spending a lot trying all these other options?
    but whatever, good luck, unsubscribe.

8. Apr 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Hey man. Didn't want you to think I was blowing you off. I tried the stuff (I forgot to update. Sorry). Looking at the website, you can't help but know for sure that it will work. I asked around at work and a co-worker swore by this stuff. He agreed with everything that you had said. He uses it for his kennel and blankets he keeps outside. I didn't want to buy something that might not work so he gave me about 6 oz.

That being said, it actually worked better than any of the other things I have tried. 24 hours later, the smell had returned though. I think the issue is that you have to treat the actual spot that stinks and I have NO IDEA where that is.

I do value the input. That is why I posted on the Forum :eek:.

9. Apr 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    What about your headliner?

10. Apr 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    That is the only other fabric in the car and everything else has been wiped down. I would like to pull that out but I am unsure of how. My Tacoma has an Inalfa Sunroof with an aftermarket headliner. I am terified that I might foul that up somehow. :eek:

Can you carpet clean (with an attachment) a headliner?

11. Apr 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    The cause could be your AC/Heating System. They can get mold and mildew in them and cause a real stink. You can buy a spray treatment for eliminating the mold and mildew. It may be your problem after looking at all of the other things you have tried.

12. Apr 14, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Someone previously suggested Lysol and I tried that to no avail. My wife's Jetta had a horrible smell in the A/C system and we had it deodarized at the dealer. I think that is what you are talking about. I have to get an inspection in the next couple days so I will hit them up and see if they can do this for me.

Thanks Drew!

13. Apr 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    If you lived closer id let you try the ozone generator. I bet that would take care of it.

14. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Thanks for the offer. I am down for a road trip!! Very cooky that you mention the ozone generator. I dropped off the truck at the dealership today. I spoke to them about what I am dealing with and they are doing an A/C deodorizing and an Ozone shock. I pick it up tomorrow. I am prepared for a let down though.

An interesting part is that I did not mention dog at all and I asked a few guys what they thought it was and 3 people said that it smells like something might have died in the cab. 2 others said that it smelled like an old leak. Then they shared stories of finding dead snaked in the dash and small mice above the headliner.

15. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    OK. I got my truck back yesterday and the smell is still there!! Even after Ozone Shock!! They said that there is surely a carcass somewhere and it needs to be removed. They offered to disassemble the dash and headliner for me but warned that it would be pricey. They see that I have completely disassembled my interior of everything not plastic and said that I should go ahead and search to save on cash.

I start a new job on base next Monday so I have one week to take apart the dash, find the body, clean with a Brillo pad (location, not the body) and put everything back together. Has anyone ever dismanteled the dash in a 2nd gen? I need to somehow get to the blower box of the A/C system.

16. Apr 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    thats horrible to hear man good luck

17. Apr 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Enough to make you throw up!!! No bodies found. I took two pills of Fukidal and will be putting the truck back together tomorrow.

uploadfromtaptalk1303260189843.jpg

18. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    :eek: The amount of time, money and patience you have spent trying to eliminate the dog smell is remarkable! I commend your determination, have you considered selling the truck to someone else [like how you got it] and find yourself another one?

19. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    x2 You have done some serious work. But at some point you must give up and move on.

20. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    kspann

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Very possible option still on the table. I have this sick obsession with closure though. My father is coming over tomorrow and we are going to strip it down to metal and rewrap all wires with new electrical tape and see what else we find.

I do have my eye on an 09 white DC trd sport longbed though :)

Products Discussed in

To Top