1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCA’s & Caster

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Rubrunner, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Mar 15, 2023 at 11:49 AM
    Rubrunner

Rubrunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 3rz 5 speed Base 315k
    3” bilsteins. 35/12.5/17 Magnaflow. Header. 17” TRD. Stinger front bumper
    98 4Runner Base
    OME Springs
    Bilstein 5100s
    1.5 wheel spacers
    35/12.5/17

Here’s my issue
    Been running stock UCA’s for 4yrs and 5 different shops haven’t been able to get alignment within spec. All though in October the current shop I’m using was able to align it better than any other shop. I told them in October I would be putting aftermarket UCA’s on to compensate for the 3” lift. He seemed like he understood the issue and the fix.
    So I put some Freedom Offroad UCA’s on and took it to them. I know JBAs or SPCs would have been better but I’m not hardcore wheeling and I’m not willing to pay 700-900 for them. From what I understand the freedom offroad UCA’s correct ball joint angle and give -3 deg more caster to be able to align within spec. Shop said they can’t get it any closer than where it is now. Passenger side isn’t in spec. Am I missing something or am I being too picky. I really want to find a good shop that knows all the ins and outs of Toyota alignment.

2. Apr 12, 2023 at 5:30 PM
    Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinton
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2000 4runner
    Toytec lift,4xinnovations bumper
    Fallowing,I have a 2000 that needs replacing as well.

3. Apr 12, 2023 at 6:26 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    How are the LCA bushings? If they are original or higher mileage, might be time to replace those as well. Those bushings with bolts are what actually control caster. UCA is mainly going to adjust camber with a lesser extent for caster.

4. Apr 13, 2023 at 6:27 AM
    Rubrunner

Rubrunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 3rz 5 speed Base 315k
    3” bilsteins. 35/12.5/17 Magnaflow. Header. 17” TRD. Stinger front bumper
    Good morning!

So, to answer your question. I replaced the LCA bushings about a year ago with Energy poly bushings. They’re still in great shape. But, I was wrong when I said Freedom Offroad UCA come with 3deg more caster. They are in fact the same as stock as far as that goes. But have a much better upper ball joint angle. So it is what it is for now. It does handle better than before. Only downfall is they actually close the gap from back of front tire to the back of front fender even more than before. So I run 35/12.5/17 with 1.5” spacers. I’ve since bought some used front fenders that have been cut at the factory body line in hopes of less tire rub. Just need to paint them.

Products Discussed in

To Top